Materials Available (Junk in my Truck)

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Materials Available (Junk in my Truck)

Postby Garasaki » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Hey,

I broke up my 10'x10' concrete patio yesterday. I'm loading in my pickup right now. The result was a lot of random size pieces of concrete, mostly in the range of 16"x8" (4" thick).

I am taking this to the dump, unless there is a use for it at Beverly or Squaw Creek. I can deliver in the next couple days if there is interest.

Would make good material for armoring a trail or building a feature.

Someone tell me if you want it, where you want it, and when you want it. Or if you don't want it. I hate to just throw it out, but it's got to go, and soon......

Additionally, once the concrete is gone, I'll have some sod and dirt (18'x30' by about 6 inches deep worth) I'd love to donate as well.
Garasaki

Re: Materials Available (Junk in my Truck)

Postby jnecessary » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:00 pm

I'd be happy to come up this weekend and help on any project involving said junk. I live in IC though, and I've only been recently cutting my teeth on trail building so we need a local to shout orders while some grunt work gets done :)
jnecessary

Postby Ken » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:41 am

Got a pic of the materials? I'm a visual guy... either way, I say hold the phone on delivery to the dump... got some ideas but no time to post specifics right now as I need to head to the Iowa Trails Summit in Cedar Falls.

Some work this weekend? Sounds good! Post up your availability and perhaps a good time can come together and I'll try to be there to help.

More (details) later...............
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:57 pm

I've been meaning to post pics, just too many things to do and not long time to do it.

Did you ever wonder what 4600 lbs of concrete in the back of a pickup look like? Here you go (If you can see it, note the jack at the rear of the truck, holding the suspension up from the weight...)

And, for a sense of scale, a 5" travel fork in with the crete

Not to be a jerk, but this truckload of stuff is leaving my house saturday morning. I don't care where it goes. I'm willing to dump in a temporary location, but remember someone is going to have to transport all 4600 pounds of this stuff from point B (where-ever my truck gets to) to point C (your secret location)
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:59 pm

That's a lot of rock, err, cement! Wondered about the suspension on that truck, I was thinking it was pretty stout until I saw the jack! Anyways, I've got the feelers out about potentially setting up a help session this weekend to transport the rock to the ridge line above the ditch on 21st Street (near Highway 30) where off road vehicles like to enter the park, it would be a deterrent hopefully.

I will try to have a definitive answer on here and or via PM by Friday PM...

*edit: I realize there are more exciting projects than off road vehicle determent... rest assured, if we get this material on site, it will serve further purposes down the road (i.e. berm base, armoring, etc.)
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:30 pm

It's not bad to load/unload, so long as you don't have to move it far. I loaded it up pretty easy by myself.

If we can't get the truck right where you are going to use the cement, it'll be a real labor intensive effort to move it down singletrack to it's final resting spot.

It would make for awesome features that double as armoring.
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:04 am

Bare minimum, we get the debris to a not-so-hard-to-reach location that is accessible by a really loaded truck.

Ideally, we can do the above and also transfer appropriate portions of debris to two other locations (see map) both accessible... I will bring a trailer for transport.

So... we need bodies to heft this stuff around, not terribly far I promise. It all revolves around the availability of people, so post up a favorite AM time and we'll rock it out (no pun intended); I say the earlier the better... same meeting place as project Ditchdigger...

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm good all morning. The missus will be asking for me to submit my daily plan for review and approval, so the earlier we make a decision, the better.

PS I don't think we'll have any trouble traveling along that access road.
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Alright then, lets shoot for 9am! I'm unplugged until further notice so if something comes up please call or text me via the number I'm sending via PM...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for the help yesterday guys.

After I hit up the dump, I rented a gas powered sodcutter and chopped up 600 square feet of sod (I'll post pictures eventually). I started loading this into the truck and discovered that sod is actually heavier then concrete. Which sucks!

Anyway, I am thinking I will have several truckfulls of sod and dirt I need to dispose of. I don't mind unloading it myself if there is a way I can be granted access off 21st st.
Garasaki

Postby Garasaki » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:43 pm

Well I got my truck loaded up with dirt. Would love to drop this off sometime this week or early this upcoming saturday.

It's pretty well full...should be enough in there for a berm. Maybe, it probably dosen't go as far as you'd think. Hauling this to the "secret black diamond" berm might be a chore (I'd bring a wheelbarrow along if that's where you want it), easy dropoff at ditchdigger berm though.

I actually think I may have at least 2 more truckfulls. Should anyone want to come on over with a shovel and an empty pickup bed, they would be welcome to all the dirt they can haul!

Edit - oh duh, forgot the pics

Garasaki

Postby Garasaki » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:24 am

Would tuesday or thursday evening work for anybody? I really just need to be let in and told where you want it, although a few guys with shovels wouldn't be turned away :wink:
Garasaki

Postby DL1030 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:44 am

On call this week, I will not be available to help. Hopefully someone will be able to let him in as we are missing dirt for two berms.
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby crrimson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:34 pm

I'll be able to help this week, what is a good time Garasaki?
crrimson

Postby Garasaki » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:24 pm

Tuesday at 5:30?
Garasaki

Postby crrimson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:42 pm

I could try 5:30, but I probably wouldn't make it out there until 6:00, would that work?
crrimson

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:21 pm

How's this sound?

Tuesday PM... I bring dirt, we unload and begin general berm shape, unload and place sod upon Garasaki arrival... in the interim transfer usable excess lumber to trailer where dirt was, and transport to undisclosed location for use.

Got pix of the sod?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:39 pm

This load has very little sod in it, it's mostly good ole Iowa clay. There is some sod, unfortunately down at the bottom (would be more useful at the top).

I have much sod sitting around. I'm afraid I can't load the truck up any more at this point. I'll snap a pic of some of it tonight. I do intend to use some at home. I haven't really worked out how much digging I have left to do yet - I wouldn't be surprised if I have another truckfull of dirt as well as a truckload of sod (which will probably not have live grass in it by the time I get ride of it).

Anyway, if Ken's gonna be out there tuesday PM I'll just head out. If I can't get in before Adam gets there, I'll just make myself useful with a shovel or something and Adam can let me in about 6ish. I'll see y'all out there!
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:03 pm

Rock on wit yer bad selves!

7 or 8 people stopped by to help transfer dirt / sod from Garasaki's truck to the berm project on Trail 17, building materials were transferred off site, and another technical trail feature project is well under way... good stuff!

Garasaki loaded the dirt + sod into his truck solo style, transferred it to Bev, navigated the old farm road with a full load, and continued to help shovel and transfer dirt via wheel barrow to the berm! If / when Garasaki brings the next load of dirt he'll be needing some assistance... maybe next week around the same time???

Unfortunately I will be out of town, so anyone that stays tuned here and is willing lend a hand would be great... post up, this is going to be a great feature / addition to riding @ Beverly!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby crrimson » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks for the dirt Garasaki, and thanks everyone for coming out. Was not expecting the good crew we had.
crrimson

Next

Return to Beverly Park