Bad turns into good

Planning to ride, want to get a group going? Post specifics here then talk about it afterwards...

Bad turns into good

Postby Farmboy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:38 pm

So I'm supposed to be in Decorah right now. I should be carbo loading on Hub City Brown Ale's whilst being bellied up at perhaps the best bar in Iowa. But I'm not. No, I decided to wuss out on the Decorah time trials due to the rain. In fact, I wasn't planning on riding at all today. I was just going to sit home and work on stuff until my phone rang just before noon. It was Ken informing me that he and ILUVtech were heading to Sugarbottom. I was thinking I should head to Des Moines instead to see my new baby niece, but was not looking forward to the drive. So I opted to throw my gear, my bike, and my old fat beagle into my truck and head to Sugarbottom. I was surprised to find out that it wasn't raining there and at first the trails were dry. It started to rain as we rode, but the footing was solid. No ruts at all. It did get a little greasy after a while and we decided to shut 'er down. So we headed to the parking lot to help ourselves to the Fat Tire Ale I brought with me. I was hoping dfleck and Rollercoaster were still there from the workday to chat and stuff, but they were long gone. Turns out though that Mem's parents were camping out there. So we went to their condo on wheels and sat back and enjoyed a few brews. All in all, I got the same MTB comradarie I was hoping to get in Decorah, right here at home. Now I don't have to tent through a thunderstorm tonight to get my a$$ whooped on a muddy and brutal time trial course tomorrow. I can just roll out of bed, fry up some bacon, and make some coffee.
Farmboy

Postby Ken » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:57 am

Ha! Makin' the most... Iowa grown bacon sounds good. Nice write up, too bad I didn't take any pix.

peace
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:18 pm

The bacon was fantastic as usual. House still smells like bacon. Wife hates it, I find it heavenly.

Rode the Sac and Fox today from East Post to Rosedale. Not single track, but the washouts from the flood last year made it an offroad experience for sure.
Farmboy

Sugar

Postby dfleck » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:58 pm

And your welcome that we slaved our hind's off getting the trails ready for you to ride. :roll:

No thanks needed, just kidding. We had an awesome group of CR chapter of Boy Scouts & their leaders help us. We got everything done that was planned & more. I wished I would of brought the bike, because of all the help, I had energy to ride & can't wait to try out.
I'm glad you guys got to ride & have some positive input. That's a positive reward to me.

Thanks to all the ICORR guys the COE & the Bou Scouts for the help. 8)

The entire park got cleaned up of litter, new landscaping, flowers, trees planted, the whole works. New kiosk in the works to give a grander feel of entrance.
dfleck

Postby Ken » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:26 pm

Yeah, lots of volunteers down there despite the cruddy weather. Like Farmboy said, the trails stayed pretty sweet for most of our ride.

The reroute we rode seems well thought out, the trail tread needs a couple hundred riders to beat it down, then I'm certain it will have good flow.

Nice work!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:42 pm

yeah, as usual, the reroutes are perfect. You boys sure know how to use the contours.

I'll do my best to help with the beat down.

I wish you guys could have ridden with us. Good mellow cruise. The mist felt good and the brews that followed made the day complete.
Farmboy

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Damn,

I would have been in the top 10 in my age group.
Farmboy

Return to Riding