This weekends festivities

Planning to ride, want to get a group going? Post specifics here then talk about it afterwards...

This weekends festivities

Postby Farmboy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:15 pm

I finally took the studded tires off this weekend and hit the road on my Crosscheck. Saturday was superb. Headed to Robins, then to Toddville, back in to Hiawatha on Tower Terrace, pointed it South to downtown via the trail. Lot's of folks out walking, but didn't see too many bikers out. Got downtown and started to head back to Marion. Stopped off at the ID to refuel. Headed for home via the 30th St. Drive hill. About 40 miles all in all. Good burn in the legs, and a good ride is always good for the soul.

Got home and cleaned up and back to the ID for a work party. Then over to Ken's house for some wrenching support for his upcoming events / trips. A few beers, some good tunes, and the company wasn't horrible.

Not much planned today, the wife went out to run some errands and left me in charge of the little ones. After lunch I'm sitting there watching the Georgia swamp version of Survivorman letting the kids get tired before their naps, when two vagrants on CX bikes pull in my driveway unexpectedly. Apparently Ken and Mem decided to hit the road. Not long after, my wife got home, I put the kids down for naps and geared up to join them. Introduced them both to Rosedale Rd, but went down the hill instead of up. Headed out Otis Rd and the riding was fantastic. Part way down Otis, someone had the great idea of climbing Memorial Drive. One of them was for it, the other against it, and I was Switzerland on the deal. So we did it, and put it behind us. Got downtown for a rest at Green Square park and a pull off my Surly flask. From there we all headed home. I had another trip up 30th St Dr hill and got home just as the kids were getting up from their naps. Took the kids downstairs, relieving the wife of child duties. Cracked open my last Winter Ale and nodded off for a while while they watched Cars for the 4000th time.

Sweet Bliss.
Farmboy

Postby jaghouse » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:26 am

Nice passion hit. I was on Otis on Sun. as well but declined the Memorial Dr. pain and sauntered on to Indian Creek and back. Otis Rd is sweet.
jaghouse

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:42 am

Otis road IS sweet, sounds like lots of peoples were out thataway this weekend. Nice report man, shoulda taken some pix. Stole some of your ideas and posted them HERE.

Thanks for the wrenching support, Abbey, ride Sunday, and flask access. The legs definitely had that super satisfied cashed out feel yesterday, but were golden this AM thanks to "hydration", I think.

On the way back from Green Square I was bonking hardcore, then we stopped and el Super Burrito. I mean, the food there is good enough, but to eat it during bonkage was like heaven. I highly recommend it regardless of your physical state. Wait, maybe not during gi flu :roll:

peace
Ken
Site Admin

tires

Postby futon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:57 pm

well you might know that I ride at night often, so I am very happy that I still have the studded tires ON. I was riding on E ave NW from edgewood toward downtown , there is a slight incline after a long stretch of flatness. I stood on the pedals to get over the incline, and the back end slid out on black ice. The tires caught and I didn't go down. Last year without the studs, I went down often. I am not taking them off until no chance of snow or ice.
futon

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:44 pm

I know the spot, rode it Sunday and luckily did not go down... probably b/c it was warm / day time; and I possess the most super smoothest pedal stroke / riding technique humanly possible :)

Tree / building shadows leave unmelted ice spots during the day, at least you can see them and prepare for good times.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Jaxon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:57 pm

One of the guys who posts on the HBA forum had this blog post last year. I think 29th St Dr SE, just east of 1st Ave is the most punishing hill I've ridden around here. Cottage Grove Ave, Mt. Vernon Rd and East Post Rd are also challenging.

Toughest climbs in Linn, Johnson counties?
http://bjsmith.wordpress.com/2008/10/09 ... -counties/
Jaxon

Postby Farmboy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:43 pm

Here's a hill workout that'll have you crying for your mama. Leaving from Marion.

22nd st south to Squaw Creek Rd. left to Abbotsford Right on Abbotsford to Cottage Grove. Right on Cottage Grove which will turn in to Dows Rd. Dows Rd. to Mt. Vernon Rd. Right on Mt. Vernon to Rosedale. Climb Rosedale, suck your lungs back into your body, and turn left on Lakeside. Take Lakeside to East Post and turn left. East Post to Cottage Grove, turn right to Indian Hill Rd. Climb Indian Hill to 30th st. Dr, and go down hill and get downtown however you like. Get to 12th ave and Head to McCarthy Rd. Climb McCarthy Rd. To Memorial Dr. Go right down the hill to Otis. Go left on Otis out to Bertram Rd. Left on Bertram to Mt. Vernon Rd. Right on Mt. Vernon and an immediate left on Rosedale (again). Climb Rosedale (again) but turn right on Lakeside this time back to Squaw Creek Rd. left on Squaw Creek rd to 22nd. Back home from there.

Call your mama, crack a beer cuz you've earned it.

Note. If you wanna throw in some miles on this, once you're downtown, take the trail north to Tower Terrace. Left on Tower Terrace to Loggerhead Rd. Right on Loggerhead to County Home Rd, left into Toddville. Left again onto Toddville Rd, climb to Feather Ridge. Left on Feather Ridge to Tower Terrace. Left on Tower Terrace to Hawks Haven. Left on Hawks Haven, to Hall Rd, which dumps you back on Tower Terrace. Tower Terrace back to the trail to downtown. Take it from there.
Farmboy

Climbs

Postby dfleck » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:49 pm

When I used to live on NW side, 26th St from O ave or from Ellis back nine, where my punisher's.
Then when I was in Toddville, the County Home Rd. from the Township up to Featheridge was a good long steady one. Used to do it twice every morning before work. Nice little lung & leg burner. :wink:
Agree though on the Mt. Vernon Rd. hill. Killer!
dfleck

Return to Riding