New Year's Day ride with FORC at Sylvan Island in Moline

Planning to ride, want to get a group going? Post specifics here then talk about it afterwards...

New Year's Day ride with FORC at Sylvan Island in Moline

Postby Bexter » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:29 am

What better way to welcome 2009 than with a bike ride?! Join FORCers for a New Year's Day ride at Sylvan Island in Moline at Noon followed by a late lunch and drinks at any one of our local eateries / pubs. We were thinking Bent River Brewery, but we've also got Bier Stube and La Flama to pick from all in the same area (a mile from Sylvan Island). Join us! The weather is supposed to be absolutely perfect (for January). For more information about this ride, check out the New Year's Day ride thread on FORC's forum:

http://www.qcforc.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=107

We hope to have LAMBA representation at this very important event! :)

Becky
Bexter

Postby Barkleyfan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:44 pm

I don't think I'll be drinking New Years Eve, so I'll try to work it out with the family schedule. Never been there tho. Can ya PM me some contact info?
Barkleyfan

Postby mem » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:59 pm

I'm planning on heading your direction. Any other Cedar Rapidians/Marionites want to caravan, post up. PS, I'm not real sure where I am going.
mem

Postby Farmboy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:35 pm

I'm going to be checking ol' Bev out tomorrow sometime to see if she's ridable for New Years Day. The FORC ride sounds awesome, but I spent way too much time in my family van last week. Kinda wanna stick around home.
Farmboy

Postby Bexter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:41 am

Fantastic! Just PM'd you with contact info and driving instructions. The ride starts at Noon. Looking forward to meeting you and having a fun day!

Becky
Bexter

Postby Barkleyfan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:47 am

farmboy wrote:I'm going to be checking ol' Bev out tomorrow sometime to see if she's ridable for New Years Day. The FORC ride sounds awesome, but I spent way too much time in my family van last week. Kinda wanna stick around home.

It's ridable, but the hikers have left it bone-jarring in places.
Barkleyfan

Postby Bexter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:06 pm

Just got a report in from a few folks who rode Sylvan last night and they said while we've had lots of warm temps and rain, the inner singletrack is not melted and is in crummy shape (hiker pock marks, lots of residual ice from the rain last week, some ruts). John is going to run over to Sylvan this afternoon to check out the conditions and I will post up tonight to let you know his assessment. I don't want you guys to waste a trip to have a crummy ride... although we WILL be drinking beer regardless of whether we ride. Stay tuned...
Bexter

Postby Bexter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 pm

John went out to Sylvan about an hour ago to check the conditions. Other than near the entrance to the island, much snow and ice remains, and the riding is really crappy according to the crew who just rode there.
I had figured with all the warm temps and massive rain we had last weekend that the trail conditions at Sylvan would be great for riding... snow and ice washed away and solid trails after the freeze today. The New Year's Day ride is officially canceled. It's not worth your drive time to come down to the QCA to experience conditions like those that currently exist. Yuck! We will reschedule when things clear out a bit more. Sorry about getting your hopes up.

Alternative: Filling Station in Davenport for wings and beer at 1 PM New Year's Day. AWESOME wings! Great company!
Bexter

Postby Farmboy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:11 pm

Beverly is ridable by my standards, but not what more finicky folks would call ridable. The riding is possible, but not easy. Very very bumpy as lots of critters and hikers have been on the trails. I am pleased to report that there were already tracks laid down by another biker before I got there. Not sure who it was, but guessing they run a Conti Gravity series front tire. Could be wrong.

I rode most everything except the lame a$$ prarie trails. Looks like people have been honoring the closed ramps signs. :wink:

I plan on riding sometime tomorrow. Holler if yer goin' out, or call me/text me if you have my number.

Happy New Year.
Farmboy

Postby Barkleyfan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:17 pm

farmboy wrote:Beverly is ridable by my standards, but not what more finicky folks would call ridable. The riding is possible, but not easy. Very very bumpy as lots of critters and hikers have been on the trails. I am pleased to report that there were already tracks laid down by another biker before I got there. Not sure who it was, but guessing they run a Conti Gravity series front tire. Could be wrong.

I rode most everything except the lame a$$ prarie trails. Looks like people have been honoring the closed ramps signs. :wink:

I plan on riding sometime tomorrow. Holler if yer goin' out, or call me/text me if you have my number.

Happy New Year.

The mis-matched tracks are likely mine. What time were you thinking of heading out?
Barkleyfan

Postby Ken » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:25 pm

Let's see if I can't make it out there tomorrow... Are ya thinkin' noonish, earlier, afternoon, later?

11 AM it is!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Jaxon » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:16 am

I'm going to try to do a ride at Beverly sometime later this morning when it's in the 28-32 degree range (hopefully) before the trails turn to mud. It would be nice to have someone with chainsawing skills around to get that downed tree removed.
Jaxon

Postby Farmboy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:19 am

See ya at 11am. I am labeling this ride as a camradarie ride. A way to start the new year right. Good friends, the best past-time in the world, and perhaps a few refreshments afterwards.

Happy New Year!!!!!!
Farmboy

Postby Jaxon » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:49 pm

I showed up around 11:30 and was surprised to see quite a few vehicles parked, but no one in sight. I was disappointed to see the trails were still completely covered in snow. I had expected them to be at least partly melted clean. I figured I'd have no traction with my wimpy tires, especially since they are still clogged with mud and sand from Sylvan Island a few weeks ago. So I decided to skip the ride. Of course I got stuck on some ice where I had parked and spent a ridiculous amount of time spinning and digging my tires out. Not a very good start to a new year, but I think it can only get better.
Jaxon

Postby Barkleyfan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Hey Jaxon, park over on Royal or King and use one of the back entrances. Won't get stuck that way. As far as traction on the bike, I just ran a Mosquito 2.0 out back at around 25 psi, and a Conti Mountain King 2.4 up front at about 45psi. Got around great. Wife is working and babysitter is hung over, so I'm on brat-duty, or I'd be there today.

These are from Tuesday;

Image[/img]
Barkleyfan

Postby crrimson » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:24 am

I finally got around to cleaning up the fall dirt from my bike and working on it, I might have to get my brothers piece of junk bike out there and try some snow riding, if the bike even still rides.
crrimson

Return to Riding