Getting kids to ride DIRT!

Planning to ride, want to get a group going? Post specifics here then talk about it afterwards...

Getting kids to ride DIRT!

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:27 pm

I did something like this in my neighborhood a few years ago. We stayed on the pavement because some of the kids couldn't ride at Beverly yet with training wheels. This should be implemented in every town.

Many of you are already aware of the MTB Mondays project in Des Moines. Despite the rain affecting the trails, we have been building the base of kids that want to ride and we need your help in keeping this program moving forward!

You do not have to be an expert on a mountain bike, you just need to have passion, and a dirt worthy bike (MTB, cross, hybrid, BMX).

Please consider volunteering for a session this summer and fall. If you are experienced, you can "Lead" and help with skills, etc. If you are not very expereienced, you can ride at the back as a "Sweeper" and work on your own skills as you help get some kids excited about riding dirt.

We provide the kids; but if you have kids or know of any who would be interested, then bring 'em along!!!

Here is the volunteer sign-up site link:
http://www.signupgenius.com/go/904054AABAA2AA46-ride

Super easy to sign-up and you will get an email reminder prior to your session as a reminder.

All sessions start and end at the Ashworth Pool parking lot (just south of the Art Center).

If you have additional questions, please ask.
Thanks
Tom Anderson
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Re: Getting kids to ride DIRT!

Postby urbanbigfoot » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:12 pm

This is a very cool idea. I think a good start would be to have a MTB 101 clinic and ride for kids, and another MTB 101 for adults, but conduct them at the same time. This way parents can bring their kids out and participate too. In my opinion, it doesn't do much good to teach kids to MTB if parents are never willing to take them to the trails to ride.

I'd be a volunteer for beginner parents or kids...I ride at about the same level anyway. You should see how well I ride sweep. I'll even bring my grill for some hotdog grilling action.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Re: Getting kids to ride DIRT!

Postby Garasaki » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:33 pm

I'd be willing to help to.

There is a line in the quoted article:

"We provide the kids"

Which I would say is critical. Where do they get the kids from...? Turnout at "Take a kid mountain biking day" tends to be less than overwhelming...
Garasaki

Return to Riding