Summer in Decorah!

Planning to ride, want to get a group going? Post specifics here then talk about it afterwards...

Summer in Decorah!

Postby Ken » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:36 pm

So the opportunity to head north to Decorah presented itself to me this past weekend, and with my summer quickly coming to a close, figured I should take it.
Those DHPT peops are always very hospitable in a “mi casa su casa” type way, especially with their trails… simply put – they’re into building and riding trails. Furthermore, they’re eager to share said trails, and a beer; or 5.

To start off with some excuses… this year I have been spending more time on the mcleod than in the saddle, so I knew the riding was going to hurt… as Spinner mentioned after one of the tough climbs, “This is a no-drop ride, straight into F@#$ING the ground!”. At one point on the ride someone mentioned they could smell cotton candy in the air (it was Nordic Fest in town) and it was all I could do to keep from NoyzSourcing. I mean, these folks do time trials every Tuesday and plain and simply ride a lot… their bada$$ness combined with my lack thereof put me in a state of continuous struggle for recovery, and not just during the biking… post ride libations included fizzy beverages as always, in addition to grill fried corn and chicken, Mabe’s Pizza, and the hottest horseradish sauce of all time – I am not $hitting you, it was like tear gas!

So back to the riding. There’s this little thing mt. bikers possess on certain days… call it mojo, gumption, stoke, whatever… it is what gets you over that log that has plagued you, makes a pump or flow section seem like gravity doesn’t exist, pushes you up that tough climb, etc. Well, when a rider is in my present shape / condition, Decorah just takes it out of ya… and dammit, just when it starts to return Decorah removes it again; promptly. No crashes or anything like that, thank God, but just a tough day out on some of the state’s most “real” (IMO) mt. bike trails.

No doubt I need to get back there, perhaps this fall when it is 30 degrees cooler! Heck, I should probably return the favor on hospitality by bringing some tools, especially the leaf blower, and maybe some friends back up there this fall to help clear the trails prior to their Night Shift event? I don’t know, call it another opportunity that I think we should take.

Thanks for reading.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Much needed post ride refreshment(s)...
Thanks man!

Surly Furious...
Nice!

DHPT Tool Trailer...
NICE!

Hangin' on a hot day...

I know I know, terribly photography but that wasn't my focus, especially whilst riding!
Ken
Site Admin

Re: Summer in Decorah!

Postby DL1030 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:52 am

cool place, cool guys, cool story.
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby urbanbigfoot » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 am

Looks awesome...wish I could have joined you. I probably would have NoyzSourced too...twice. :puke-front:
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby crrimson » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:28 pm

Wish I could have joined too, Couldn't miss my grandma's 100th birthday. I went on Sunday with Kelley and had a great time, Toppling Goliath has some great IPA. The heat really does take it out of you on those trails, but it was still a lot of fun.

I think I'm going to try and go to Decorah again in a weekend or two, anyone interested? And definitely have to go again in the fall.
crrimson

Postby Stumpy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Good stuff! I really need to get up there.
Stumpy

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 pm

urbanbigfoot wrote:Looks awesome...wish I could have joined you. I probably would have NoyzSourced too...twice.

You and Ken are so cute! Cute like a couple of koalas humping.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Koalaing&defid=4853327
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Return to Riding