New bridge

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

New bridge

Postby Farmboy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:38 pm

I'd just like to say that the new bridge that replaced the RR tie skinny is fantastic. I was one of the loudest opponents to replacing it, but I rode it three times last night and it is an absolutely perfect feature in the perfect spot. It is built extremely well and flows perfectly.

Thanks to those who planned, built, and installed. This PBR is for you.

Farmboy

Postby rockhopper07 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:20 pm

someone told me that they replaced the wider bridge with an even bigger one
rockhopper07

Postby Ken » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:56 pm

No pictures yet, was too focused on the install, you'll just have to check it out...

Dimensions are:
48+ feet long
24 inches wide
2-3 feet high on average

The wide side option bridge will remain until weather conditions dry up and we can get the new bridge painted with a gritty / grippy paint.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby crrimson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:08 pm

We need even BIGGER bridges so cars can drive over them after we pave the trails.
Then we can set up a starbucks drive thru on the foundation area and attract new drivers to the trail.

Kidding :) I loved the RxR tie, and I love the new bridge, thanks to Ken for putting it up and Chad for building it. I haven't seen the new highway bridge yet.

By the way where are you Chad!? Haven't seen you for a while.
crrimson

Postby Angy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:17 pm

Mmmm Starbucks, I like that idea!
Angy

Postby Farmboy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:46 pm

I just did a term paper on Starbucks. I hate them now. Besides, isn't free wifi supposed to be a given in coffee shops?
Farmboy

Postby Angy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:50 pm

I just like their strawberries n cream drinks, but we can make some yummy strawberry milkshakes at home without spending a fortune!
Angy

Postby crrimson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:07 pm

I've never actually had starbucks, it just seemed fitting for my cynical post. Anyway I just hope I don't fall off while riding this new bridge because I would hate to spill my coffee.

*edit: I take that back I have had starbucks once & it was good but I don't drink coffee.

All I'm really trying to say is I hope the grippy bridge gets put back into effect because I love the hell out of it.
crrimson

Postby Ken » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 am

No comment about *buckles.

People who worked on the bridge:
Cole82
Jason Lewis
OnlyInAJeep
Mua

As far as I am aware Chadly is busy with other "extra curricular" stuff like dragon boating. He also puts in a lot of time at Sugar Bizzle, probably b/c it is closer to home for him, and maybe some other reasons. I do know that half+ of the bike building / Fleck ride obstacles were constructed and put together by him. Hopefully he'll be around more in the fall.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby mem » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:26 am

Farmboy-hate is a pretty powerful word for the best coffee the US has seen. If it weren't for Starbucks, we may have NO coffee shops.
Also, they do lots for the cycling community, so be careful when throwing stones.
I, for one, would be thrilled if there was a Starbucks on the trail! Seriously, only two in the entire city? How are us Seattle folk supposed to survive?
A self proclaimed coffee freak.
mem

Postby Farmboy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 am

Survive by investing your hard earned money into local businesses such as Coffeesmith's or one of the downtown shops that will hopefully be reopening. As far as two in the city. From where I'm sitting I can get a freshly brewed cup of Starbucks from 4 different places within a 2 mile radius:

1. Stand alone store on Blairs Ferry by Walmart
2. Stand Alone store by Hot Harry's
3. Target contract store
4. Lindale Mall Kiosk (though I've heard it's closed, no doubt a recognition by Howard Schulz himself that his company is a bit overexposed, not to mention SBUX stock has plummeted by almost 80% since 2008).

Starbucks is having a rough go of it right now with competitors such as Dunkin' Donuts (CR doesn't have one) and believe it or not, McDonalds offering comparable quality (Dunkin Donuts is better IMO) for lower prices. More people are being price conscious due to the economy, and Starbucks coffee has become a commodity item.

For me it all goes back to putting money back into the community. I met the owner of Coffeesmith's at a Marion Corridor Planning meeting and have had a couple encounters with him since then. He's an average citizen. A good family man. I'm giving him my coffee money for the same reason I pay 7 dollars for a bicycle intertube at Northtowne or Halls when I could get them for $2-$3 on the internet.
Farmboy

Postby mem » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:10 am

Enough for now-I need to get my caffine fix from my local Starbucks :lol:
mem

Postby Ken » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:17 am

How many over caffeinated attention deficit mt. bikers does it take to derail a forum thread? - - -

I dunno, wanna go fer a bike ride?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Angy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:23 pm

Ken wrote:I dunno, wanna go fer a bike ride?

We can't it's been too rainy to ride at Beverly and I think we might be shunned if we mention the other type of riding!

And since someone mentioned Dunkin Donuts, I DO think we need on a bit closer to us!
Angy

Postby greenfast » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:54 pm

I second the Dunkin Donuts recommendation, but not too close I will have even less money then I do now :wink:
greenfast

Postby richard1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:49 pm

We lost our Krispycreme's and can hardly keep our only Donutland in business, not sure if the market is good for Dunkin Donuts. What do I care, I get my caffeine from a pop can.
richard1

Postby Farmboy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:20 pm

Krispy-Kreme went under doing the same thing Starbucks did, over exposure. Took an exclusive product and made it something you can get anywhere. Only Starbucks is a much stronger company and will likely recover and shareholders that stuck with them might get some of their money back.

As far as Donutland, their location sucks. I would think a Dunkin Donuts would thrive somewhere like downtown or on the outskirts of a business park. Anyone wanna invest?
Farmboy

Postby Cole82 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Farmboy wrote: I would think a Dunkin Donuts would thrive somewhere like downtown or on the outskirts of a business park. Anyone wanna invest?

Screw it it's only money let's do it! I allways wondered about a hotdog stand like they have in ny. You are allowed to sell in CR on public land, the city owns 15' off the curbs edge. Plop right outside rockwell or Quaker oats.
I'm too busy to do anything....
Self description, tattoo'ed contractor.......
Cole82

Postby greenfast » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:46 pm

MMmmm if you bring a Sabrett Cart into town I will be there almost every day, I miss those from NY. http://sabretthotdogcarts.com/
greenfast

Postby Farmboy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:01 am

I am suddenly craving a Portillos Hot Dog. Chi Town done right.
Farmboy

Next

Return to Beverly Park