Beverly Trail Conditions

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Re: Beverly Trail Conditions

Postby NoyzSource » Fri May 13, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm not sure they have their system fully up and running yet. OR they didn't get as much rain as my wife said we got on the SW side.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby dlporter » Mon May 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Trail conditions are really good right now. The website should be updated. Get out and ride before the storms come through tomorrow. There are some trees down in various places, one across 4a just past where the old power line crossing connected, one across 3c before 10 splits off, and several across 16.
dlporter

Postby Farmboy » Mon May 30, 2011 8:55 pm

I was out there at about 5pm and agree they are delightfully tacky. We have some chainsaw work to do for sure.

FYI to the Beverly trail crew, there's one down on the flow trail in the switchbacks that has some potential. Your call though.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby DL1030 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 am

switchback tree/flow, we looked around the twin trees for this one but didnt walk over to the switchbacks. it may still be there (in a easy spot to get to from the road if in fact we did miss it)

2a hanging tree. you can still easily ride under this one and it held the weight of me and the pack. it will come down but i didnt want to drop it yet.

16 low rider, this was pulled up the hill a bit to lower it a fraction off the trail but that is a black trail, deal :P

old 4-way, trail 3, cleared.

That should take care of the blockages, post up with any others as it was too wet to ride so we didnt check everything.

Conditions wise, it was looking good for the amount of rain we had. Should be rideable today but make sure to always check the status.

Huge props to Ken, Lenny and Norbert for all the mowing at Bev (and because they are super cool, parts of sugar as well)!

Great work on the reclaim of the sandy hill trail too! Plants are growing, water is diverted, no sand collecting at the bottom.

slow moving, but progress.
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby Jaxon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:01 am

The one by the twin trees was half way down the switchbacks, which would be close to the road by the south meadow. It might be small enough that 2-4 guys could drag it out of the way.
Jaxon

Postby DL1030 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:37 pm

if you happen to find my latest project while riding Bev, please stay off! It is not secure and you may get hurt (even walking on it). There are no trails leading to it and flagged as closed but just as another reminder, please dont hurt yourself on a partially finished feature. It will get done soon enough. then you can hurt yourself on a completed feature :)
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby Ken » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:53 am

Trail conditions are excellent! However, they are most certainly little lopping, debris clearing, mowing in some spots, etc.)

My plan is to be out there all day Friday (TODAY), if anyone would like to join please show on up.....

*edit: UPDATE... Thanks Rob and OnlyInAJeep for the help today! Also with a little help from cooperative neighbors to the park and a city worker with a large mower, we were able to get the front side of Beverly beautified, and the rest of the park trimmed. The meadows are a bit fuzzy and really hot... in the woods is pretty nice, buff, and relatively clean considering it's mt. biking!

Enjoy...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby jnecessary » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:55 am

DL1030 wrote:if you happen to find my latest project while riding Bev, please stay off! It is not secure and you may get hurt (even walking on it). There are no trails leading to it and flagged as closed but just as another reminder, please dont hurt yourself on a partially finished feature. It will get done soon enough. then you can hurt yourself on a completed feature :)

Hey, I found the beginner's guide to DL1030's new project...I haven't been to Bev in a long time but if the project turns out how it was described, this log ride is a cakewalk :P
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=716867
Who knows if I'll ever have the ability to ride either :)
jnecessary

Postby Ken » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Just to whet the appetites of those who like technical trails and features...

As DL mentioned above, this trail is not complete so PLEASE do not ride it... for the sake of the settling dirt, the incomplete features, and YOUR SAFETY.

That being said, when the trail opens it will be the first trail this technical in the park... Drop Trail 17 is pretty tech, but this one takes it up notch and on local level will be considered double black...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:36 pm

So for the sake of pointing out what should be obvious, this means this trail will be difficult and mistakes will have consequences that cause pain or damaged equipment. I personally think this is a great addition to the park even though these features are probably beyond my abilities. Should I be dumb enough to try them I should not be surprised when one of those two things happens.

Good work fellas. I think this will help make Bev a complete park.
Farmboy

Postby OnlyInAJeep » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:07 pm

There is a tree down along side 13 shortly before the jump. It's mostly off the trail but a branch and a small tree that it fell upon is intruding on the trail. A loper and small hand saw could take care this. If you wanna save the small tree, you might need something more robust.
OnlyInAJeep

Postby bigfish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Just a heads up, on Saturday I found an arrow broadhead in the middle of the trail just before the old foundation. It was on part of a arrow shaft and was sticking up in the middle of the trail. I hauled it out and disposed of it, but it could of really messed someone up this they fell on it.
Never stop moving forward- Mark
bigfish

Postby crrimson » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:52 pm

bigfish wrote:Just a heads up, on Saturday I found an arrow broadhead in the middle of the trail just before the old foundation. It was on part of a arrow shaft and was sticking up in the middle of the trail. I hauled it out and disposed of it, but it could of really messed someone up this they fell on it.

This outrages me. To have to worry about serious harm to ourselves, fellow riders, children, pets, neighbors in our local park that we put so much effort into cleaning up and building.

Keep dogs on a leash signs should be replaced with "Keep your white trash mountain biker hating hillbilly redneck trucks and arrows the $#@! off our trails or be made into a feature"
crrimson

Postby Farmboy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Just gotta shake your head. Nothing you can do about it. Jaghoff's exist in even the nicest of neighborhoods.

At least this proves that there are people that exist that are even bigger jerks than I am.
Farmboy

Postby Ken » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:03 am

Biggest concern for me revolves around the danger to young people, I see a lot of family-oriented riding at Beverly, which is good... so it is very disappointing and downright enraging to hear of dangers like this, apparently carried out with malicious intent.

At least it was on a difficult trail rather than the front side which is so frequently ridden by youth; but still... you just cannot get complacent on the bike, must stay alert and keep yourself safe while enjoying the woods.

Thanks for keeping your eyes open, removing the problem, and giving us the heads up; it takes a lot of us to watch after those woods, trails, and our little mtb community.

So, regarding trail conditions... Beverly is pristine right now, the recent precipitation really helped the thirsty dirt! Watch out for trail ball bearings (i.e. walnuts and acorns) and or any other unexpected obstacles.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby crrimson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Going to check the trails out tonight even though it rained since the ground was so dry. Kelley said she was out and walked them and they seemed good at around 4:30, can't guarantee they're rideable but I'm going to find out, so if you're thinking about coming out, I'll be riding if it doesn't look like I'll leave a mark.
Adam
crrimson

Postby Stumpy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Stupid Rain!!!
Stumpy

Postby crrimson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:51 pm

rain :\. Screwed a 1st time mountain biker out of a ride tonight. I know what I'm going to be doing Wed's this Winter though, 2 for 1 at Parlor.
crrimson

Postby Jaxon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:20 am

I've never understood why so many people are determined to only ride on Wednesday nights. It seems like a really obvious strategy to me to check the weather forecast on Sunday or Monday and then pick another weeknight to ride (whether it's an organized group ride or solo) if it's likely to rain later in the week.

Almost every time I've ridden at Beverly on any non-Wednesday weeknight or on the weekend, the place is practically deserted. Even on a day right before rain. People aren't really only riding once a week (or not at all if it's rainy), are they? I wonder why people even own a bike if they only ride a few days a month. Maybe there are legitimate excuses like other activities, or pure laziness like I'm guilty of.

I should admit I didn't ride before the rain this week. But it was because I decided on road riding instead. I rode Friday night last week and the trails weren't as much fun after dark with so much leaf coverage and debris on the trail messing me up and slowing me down.
Jaxon

Postby Ken » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:23 am

Ha! Managed to ride both Monday and Tuesday this week... score b/c most of the time I'm too biz fo shiz.

Trails were super thirsty and I'd be willing to bet they'll be good in less than 36 hours, barring more precipitation of course.
Ken
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Beverly Park