Beverly Trail Conditions

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Beverly Trail Conditions

Postby Farmboy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:41 pm

Moderator, please sticky this post. Until things are solid for the season, I will update this post as often as I can as to whether or not the trail is ready to ride. I'll give it a letter grade that will follow the following guidelines:

A: All areas are dry and passable. Ride hard and fast.
B: All but low lying areas are dry. Ride but use caution in wet spots.
C: Tacky and wet in low lying areas. Rideable, but your attention on workdays would be apprecitated.
D: Do Not Ride. Damage to the trails is likely.
F: Trails are not rideable. Any riding is certain to do damage that will cause unnecessary trail maintenance.
Farmboy

Today's conditions

Postby Farmboy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:44 pm

Grade: F

Do not ride the trails. When I checked the trails today there were 4 guys there with caked muddy tires. I admit I was not very pleasant to them and I not so graciously invited them to the trail workday on Sunday. I am not proud of my reaction, but I can't do anytying about it now.

The front side in rutted and will need attention.
Farmboy

trail

Postby futon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:50 pm

maybe a guideline like I saw at sugar once,
If you are leaving a rut bigger than a finger nail, you are doing damage to the trail.
futon

Postby Farmboy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:38 pm

should be obvious, but trail conditions are not getting any better.

Grade is F.
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:06 pm

Checked her out again today and Ol' Bev is at a D. Some spots are looking better, but mostly pretty greasy. The precipitation and warm temps have taken care of some of the ruts that were created and I think the signs that are posted have helped keep people out as well. Erosion has done a number on 15b (trail leading from front side directly to the rock garden) and will have to be rerouted or closed near the south end.

Hang in there folks. Not long now.
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:11 pm

I had to say Not long now didn't I. I'd guess we're at least a week and a half out now. Sorry folks. Mother Nature is not a nice lady.
Farmboy

Postby MinigunSniper » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:27 am

Thank you very much for the updates. As much as I hate to hear the trails aren't rideable, I'd rather find out about it at home rather than after I'd ridden the 6 miles from home to the trailhead.
MinigunSniper

Beverly is Open

Postby Jason Lewis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:02 am

:!: Noel has given Beverly a C+ so get out and ride today. Because we know what is coming tomorrow. :D
Jason Lewis

Postby Jaxon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:10 pm

I stopped out to hike and play "pick up sticks" earlier. There were several minivans with Minnesota and Wisconsin plates parked. I saw a group of about 6 ladies riding and they were all smiling when they rode by. Most of the trail is damp and pretty rideable. There are a few spots that are still soft and mushy, but they didn't have deep tire ruts, just shallow tire tread marks.

I am going to wait for a little more drying before I ride.
Jaxon

Postby Farmboy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:59 pm

You're not afraid of getting that pretty Titanium paper-weight dirty are you?

Glad to hear people are out there today. I almost didn't take my bike with me on my trail check. I was certain it would be un-ridable. Glad I changed my mind. The trails are damp and very tacky. You'll leave with your tires gunked up but your frame will be relatively clean. The tread is slow, so it's work to ride, but when folks ride this tread they help beat down the deer tracks and smooth out ruts from a$$ clowns.

As Mr. Jaxon said, there are still a few moist spots. In fact the area down by the rock garden is downright muddy, but the rest is ridable. I rode it all. I was grinning from ear to ear. When I exited the trail my only disappointment was that I had no post-ride refreshments with me to celebrate my first real dirt ride of the year. I'm making up for that now though.
Farmboy

Postby Jaxon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:24 pm

That paper-weight still has dirt on it from riding Sylvan Island last year, so it's no garage queen. The tires on it do suck in the mud and turn into slicks that spin out when climbing. I would have ridden another bike with more aggressive tires if I had decided to ride today.

The trails where in much better condition than I expected. The rock garden and adjacent trail aren't just muddy, they are under water. I didn't read about the C+ rating until I got back, so I didn't even know the trails had been approved to ride on when I was there. I really didn't feel like back driving across town again. I was also sore and tired from hiking since it's been a while since I've walked hilly trails.

Now I'm kinda wishing I had gone out to ride anyway.
Jaxon

Postby greenfast » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:15 pm

I saw this after coming home from a 50 mile road ride, and even though my legs were shot I had to hit some dirt. So I got out there around 6pm and the trails were in awesome shape other than the few spots that were mentioned which I stayed off. Also since I haven't gotten to ride my new bike yet this year today was a great day for that.

Unfortunately the weather is not going to be great the next few days and this was probably the only chance I will get to ride before Sylvan Island in 2 weeks.
greenfast

Postby Jaxon » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:35 pm

The National Weather Service cried wolf with their winter storm warning, at least on the north end of CR. Just some sleet and a dusting of snow that quickly melted. Weather is looking windy and dry for a while. Anyone checked Beverly conditions today?
Jaxon

Postby Farmboy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:21 pm

I haven't gone out there, but I'm certain they are in the same condition they were in on Saturday.

Get on it.

This week is looking good weather wise for trail conditions. I'd consider Beverly open for the season.
Farmboy

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:17 am

Rock. See some o y'all out there then...

News thread: viewtopic.php?t=560
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Jaxon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:18 pm

I'm hoping to show up to ride before 6 tonight.

That stupid tree across the trail was still there Saturday. It's been there since October or November. I don't remember how many times I've carried my bike or stepped over it. I'd help remove it (or move it into position as a feature) tonight if anyone can show up with a chainsaw. Pretty pleez!

If the weekend weather looks good, I might also do some pruning and raking. I saw areas that need some attention while I was hiking Saturday.
Jaxon

Tree / log?

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:41 pm

Don't know that I can make it there tonight to help rid 3A of that log, but how about some ideas about what to do with it? Post here... viewtopic.php?t=562
Ken
Site Admin

Postby BigF » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:31 pm

I was riding today between 10:00am and noon, trails are in great shape. There were some soggy spots( in the usual locations) but overall very ridable. Thanks to the LAMBA crew for a great place to ride in CR!
BigF

Trail report needed

Postby Farmboy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Got a couple of texts today asking about trail conditions. I haven't been out there, but going by my back yard test (If the soil by my pine tree is soft, so is Beverly), I doubt it will be ridable until Thursday provided we get no more rain.

This is just a guess, if anyone knowledgeable would like to check it out, go for it.
Farmboy

Postby MinigunSniper » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:06 pm

Just realized this isn't the thread for this, sorry. Mods, would you mind killing this post? Thanks. This is what I get for posting when I'm half asleep.

I think I'm starting to come down with something, so I'm going to have to miss the party and see if I can shake it off. Sorry.
Last edited by MinigunSniper on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MinigunSniper

Next

Return to Beverly Park