Beverly Trail Conditions

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Re: Beverly Trail Conditions

Postby crrimson » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:28 am

I rode Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday. I just like to ride on Wednesday because I enjoy the company.

Jaxon wrote:I've never understood why so many people are determined to only ride on Wednesday nights. It seems like a really obvious strategy to me to check the weather forecast on Sunday or Monday and then pick another weeknight to ride (whether it's an organized group ride or solo) if it's likely to rain later in the week.

Almost every time I've ridden at Beverly on any non-Wednesday weeknight or on the weekend, the place is practically deserted. Even on a day right before rain. People aren't really only riding once a week (or not at all if it's rainy), are they? I wonder why people even own a bike if they only ride a few days a month. Maybe there are legitimate excuses like other activities, or pure laziness like I'm guilty of.

I should admit I didn't ride before the rain this week. But it was because I decided on road riding instead. I rode Friday night last week and the trails weren't as much fun after dark with so much leaf coverage and debris on the trail messing me up and slowing me down.
crrimson

Postby urbanbigfoot » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:51 am

A few of us rode on Monday because we knew it might rain on Wednesday. For me, the main reason I plan on riding on Wednesday nights is for consistency in my schedule. My wife knows I'm riding every Wednesday night and we can schedule appropriately, and she's come to accept that as my night to ride. I ride when I can find the time, usually an extra day a week, but because of my busy schedule (including kid activities), planning for one guaranteed night to ride is better than nothing. If I had my way, I would ride every day. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury.
crrimson wrote:I rode Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday. I just like to ride on Wednesday because I enjoy the company.

Jaxon wrote:I've never understood why so many people are determined to only ride on Wednesday nights. It seems like a really obvious strategy to me to check the weather forecast on Sunday or Monday and then pick another weeknight to ride (whether it's an organized group ride or solo) if it's likely to rain later in the week.

Almost every time I've ridden at Beverly on any non-Wednesday weeknight or on the weekend, the place is practically deserted. Even on a day right before rain. People aren't really only riding once a week (or not at all if it's rainy), are they? I wonder why people even own a bike if they only ride a few days a month. Maybe there are legitimate excuses like other activities, or pure laziness like I'm guilty of.

I should admit I didn't ride before the rain this week. But it was because I decided on road riding instead. I rode Friday night last week and the trails weren't as much fun after dark with so much leaf coverage and debris on the trail messing me up and slowing me down.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby RockHop1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:44 am

Does anyone know what the Beverly trails are like after yesterday's rain? I'm considering a night ride tonight--no costume this ride.
RockHop1

Postby NoyzSource » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:08 am

We didn't get much rain near Beverly. No mud in my yard. The trails should still be in good condition.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby RockHop1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:20 am

Great. Thanks for the reply. Happy Halloween!
RockHop1

Postby Jaxon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

How is the leaf coverage these days? I've been avoiding dirt riding at night lately until the trails are cleared. The lack of clear visibility where the trail is (particularly the bench cut areas) is just annoying enough to slow me down and take away some of the fun when riding with lights. Judging by how many leaves are still on the trees, I'm guessing the trails haven't been cleared yet. I might be able to show up with a rake this weekend if anyone wants to organize a leaf blowing/raking trail day.
Jaxon

Postby Ken » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:45 pm

The leaf litter has been disrupted only by user usage of the trails and a bit of debris clearing by volunteers. No leaf blowing has occurred for two reasons... many of the leaves have yet to drop, and most importantly with things soooo dry, leaf blowing would cause a fair amount of erosion! Raking is more difficult but would be much better for the trails.

So yeah, trail work / maintenance... this Saturday, 11am-1pm, or whatever times folks could come out and do some trail "cleaning"; thanks in advance for your help!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:46 pm

ICORR has done no leaf clearing, but the leaves have been beat down by usage.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby RockHop1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:29 pm

Trails were in very good shape tonight. Easy to see even with the leaves.
RockHop1

Postby Ken » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:27 am

Yeah, the Sugar Bottoms get very heavy use, Beverly quite a bit as well... Rode Thomas park last night however, and it was tough to see the trail(s); so the trail steward there rocked the leaf blower and things are looking buff and riding amazing!

Will see what the weekend brings for weather, leaf clearing, and trail conditions..............
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:06 am

Ken wrote:Yeah, the Sugar Bottoms get very heavy use, Beverly quite a bit as well... Rode Thomas park last night however, and it was tough to see the trail(s); so the trail steward there rocked the leaf blower and things are looking buff and riding amazing!

Will see what the weekend brings for weather, leaf clearing, and trail conditions..............

Crap. I was supposed to get the leafblower to him and I forgot.
Farmboy

Postby crrimson » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks for the leafblowing Ken, the trails were perfect.
crrimson

Postby Ken » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:11 pm

Ya, green routes have been cleared, most blues have not.

It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out after this...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:14 pm

As suspected, trails cleared prior to the rain were much drier than those covered with leaf litter; however, everything is actually in pretty fair shape out there, which should make for good riding and nice conditions for tomorrow's trail running event... http://www.cvra.net/calendar/icalrepeat ... -trail-run
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Current conditions?

Beer can effect???

Rideable???????
Garasaki

Postby crrimson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:36 pm

They were great last week when they were frozen. I'm sure if they're frozen they'll still be good to go!
crrimson

Postby futon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:00 pm

is there any chance that they are okay even if not frozen?
futon

Postby Farmboy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:55 pm

Doubt it. Frost started then thawed along with rain and freezing then thawing. Personally, I'd get out there on Sunday at 7 am. Prolly get greasy in about an hour but not to the point where damage occurs, just in spots. An hour later I'd be ordering a Lumberjack at Parlor City and having Julie the bartender making me a bloody mary.
Farmboy

Postby Rage » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Farmboy wrote:An hour later I'd be ordering a Lumberjack at Parlor City and having Julie the bartender making me a bloody mary.

I like how you roll...

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby urbanbigfoot » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:03 am

The trails started getting pretty greasy around 9:30 on Sunday, bringing an end to our ride. I like Noel's idea...I should have hit Parlor City.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

PreviousNext

Return to Beverly Park