Be Patient

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Be Patient

Postby Farmboy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:03 pm

Inspected Beverly today. It's not quite ready. Please be patient. If the rain holds off by the end of the week it's a maybe. I intend to check it again tomorrow, so check back.
Farmboy

Postby Jaxon » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Guess I figured it would be quite a while yet before it was ready. I haven't even hiked at Beverly in a month or more.

I don't know how much of a factor rain versus overnight frost is in the trail conditions. Low temps are forecast for below freezing starting Wednesday night, so even if the rain misses us, frost could maybe be a factor? Yes? No?

Dryish conditions for the trail maintenance day Sunday would certainly be nice.
Jaxon

Postby Farmboy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Beverly has a sand based soil so it drains well. Most of the frost is out of the ground. So all it needs to do now is dry out. Overnight freezes can make things take longer as is forecasted, but not always. It can make things messy in the morning and not so much in the afternoon provided it's dry to begin with.

When I lived in IL a guy who lived near the local trail where I rode alot would stop by and give reports on trail condiitons. This helped keep the trail in better shape since people didn't head out there at all if he said not to. Before that people geared up and drove out there only to find muddy trails but since they went to the trouble of gearing up and dodging Chicago traffic to get there, they would ride them anyway.

As much as I am able I will provide this information. I am only spot checking the trail at it's average points (not low-lying areas that are always wet, and not higher elevation areas that dry out the fastest.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's report.
Farmboy

Postby Hank » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:27 pm

The problem I have been noticing is that there is still frost several inches below the surface in a lot a places not allowing things to drain. On a good note Sylvan should be rideable this week. I'll keep you all posted. Anyone wanting to race, less than 6 weeks to the Stampede.
I need more info here...
Hank

Return to Beverly Park