Snotty when the sun hits

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Snotty when the sun hits

Postby Farmboy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:10 pm

Went for a frozen Tundra ride at Beverly today. North side is pretty icy still, but there are plenty of good spots to get some riding done.

However, today by 10am it was already getting slick where the sun was hitting, making it pretty snottyeven though it was still about 25 degrees. I'd say to get a good ride in without doing any damage, you should plan on being out of there by 9am.

If riding out there while the ground is frozen, you'll really notice how someone has rutted the front side by riding in the mud, making it not as pleasant as it could be. Animals have also pocked the trail in places, but those are easier to ride through and a hell of a lot easier to fix.

Get out there if you can. The first dirt ride after winter is as cleansing as an enima, but please use your head out there. If it's muddy, get out.
Farmboy

Postby Crank Addict » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:56 pm

I tried riding today. The north side parking lot was iced over and it looked like a lot of the trail was the same. I went around to the meadow and entered the trail there. The grassy trail in the west meadow wasn't bad, but most places w/o grass were too soft. :x
Crank Addict

be nice

Postby Ken » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:31 am

This entry from CITA's blog says it well:

Please be aware of ever constantly changing conditions of the trails during the winter/spring months. Often times the trail surface will be frozen and solid in the morning but thawed and wet during the afternoon. Please note that if you are leaving tracks on the trails while hiking or riding or there is mud on your shoes or bike, then you are doing damage to the trail.

Sometimes it’s best to just turn around and call it a day or go ride some gravel. Damage to the trail is very difficult to repair and can be considered vandalism/destruction of park property. All trails are maintained by volunteers not the Land Manager.

Thank you for your help!!!

http://www.centraliowatrails.com/blog/?p=336
Ken
Site Admin

Postby crrimson » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:59 pm

The temptation is too great! I'm going to go check out the meadows, and just look at the wooded areas but I am pretty sure they have to still be muddy so I'll stay off them.
crrimson

Postby crrimson » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:12 pm

I just did some laps on the grass covered trails on the west meadow, all the dirt trails looked really muddy, so I didn't even try em. And wow.. Old man Winter and the Marlboro Man really kicked my a$$ these past few months. Can't wait til I can ride the trails and get back in shape again.
crrimson

Return to Beverly Park