Making Beverly Directional?

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Making Beverly Directional?

Postby greenfast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:03 am

Not sure if this has been discussed in the past or even something that people want, but any reason not to? I know there are a few spots where 2 way traffic would have to be in place with the way the trails are now but I am sure that 95% of us ride the trails in the same direction anyways, but thinking rider safety would be improved if everyone was riding the same way. It seems to work well at Sugar Bottom and Sunderbruch, but they also have a "ring trail" for lack of better terms so if you didn't want to do a certain trail you could bypass it and move on to the next.
greenfast

Re: Making Beverly Directional?

Postby Rage » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:29 am

For sure want to get the signage clear to support it. Quite a few folks who aren't familiar with Beverly really struggle getting around. One way trails could actually help this I suppose...

I am generally in favor of two directional trails to have more variation. Typically there is a "sweet" direction that most people use, but it's nice to change it up once in a while. Trail systems with higher milage (> 8-10 miles) probably handle one way better since there's fewer laps in a ride to induce trail boredome. Riding Sugar backwards at night is a nice compromise to one way trails there, with little impact to safety with fewer users and great visibility from headlights.

Have you had any issues at Beverly with bi directional traffic?
Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Rage wrote:Have you had any issues at Beverly with bi directional traffic?
Rg.

I haven't heard of anybody breaking a jaw or anything. I can't say that I've heard of any serious accidents because of 2 way traffic. Just the usual type of injuries because of user error or vandalism.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Norbert and I met on the inner loop one day coincidentally. We avoided a collision but it turned into a taco-ed rim for him. Other than that, I haven't heard of any major issues that have happened. I think it's something to consider though.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby greenfast » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:20 am

I have personally not had any issues that resulted in any kind of incident, but have come across people plenty of times coming around corners. I know the biggest time this would be a concern is during the summer on a Wednesday night when you have a large # of people using the trail with the full range of users from kids and beginners all the way up to top level racers. And while we are going through the park faster them most we are always considerate of other trail users either slowing/stopping to let them pass safely in the other direction, or if we come up behind them waiting for a safe place for all to get by, don't want to force anyone off the trail into poison ivy which there is a lot of it.

Also with a lot of new trail users it would help them get around the park easier, I know once you get across the power lines and into the back section it can get confusing. Last year when I took a day trip to the Quad Cities it was nice to ride Sunderbruch, which I had only done once before during a race, and not have to worry about getting lost out there, when we went to Illiniwek I had read if you basically just keep going right when you come to a new trail it makes for a fun loop, which was very true. Then it was off to Sylvan Island, and I did my best to recall the race course from earlier that spring, man that place is so hard to get around if you don't know the trails, still had fun though.
greenfast

Return to Beverly Park