Beverly XC Mt. Bike Race July 1st!

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Beverly XC Mt. Bike Race July 1st!

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Beverly XC Mt. Bike Race July 1st!

Postby pablo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:42 am

Long time rider, first time racer (lame, right?). Anywho... :?

I figured I'll be relegated to the Cat 3 race since I classify myself as a beginner, but if things go well, is it possible to do the Cat 2 35+ too? I wasn't sure what the rules were for racing in 2 categories, or if I would be too slow and annoying to other Cat 2 racers (I promise I'll start last). Anyway, I'm not uber-competitive, and am there mostly for the ride and the commradery. But as a novice racer, I'd appreciate any advice, such as, what is protocol for passing if it comes to that. I'm assuming it's a friendly race and people won't hog the trail if you want to pass.
pablo

Postby Garasaki » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:52 pm

I find the best method for passing someone to be pull along side them and squeeze their front brake.

I hear very few objections to this method, so long as I avoid doing this near switchbacks. Occasionally I'll hear cussing or rather painful thud sounds followed by groaning, but I just assume that's related to something else.

PS I may also be racing cat 3.
Garasaki

Postby pablo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Nice... ummmm, you can start ahead of me then.
pablo

Postby Ken » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Since 95% of the race is on singletrack common courtesy applies... if someone is needing to pass you it is because they're faster than you, let them by. Additionally we mowed many inside turns 2 or 3 mower widths back for visual and passing reasons should the faster person want to take the inside (albeit rougher) line; mover to the outside for them, eh. These corners, the west meadow, front grassy / staging area, and farm road should provide plenty of room for the whole pecking order thing. Most importantly of all, have fun!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:29 pm

Will there be a separate tykes class?
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:32 pm

9 and under will be doing the whole front side which is approximately 1 mile, nothing shorter than that is available like our prior time trial events; sorry. Why not jog or ride behind? It'll be fun!

*edit: results are up... here - http://lambaonline.org/ and here - http://lambaonline.org/beverly-fat-tire-frenzy/
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Beverly Park