Tuesday Trailwork (6a-b project)

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Tuesday Trailwork (6a-b project)

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Late notice I know, but Imma gonna head out to the 6a-b reroute area to inspect trails and maybe swing a mcleod. Could always use a little company and or help, come on by, bring a mcleod or heavy rake if'n ya got one...

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday Trailwork

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Shortly after beginning on the 6a-b dealio I got word the pumpety powerline crossing was rutted pretty badly so I headed over there to do some work, and it was a lot of work... an example of how riding trails before they're ready results in trail work that keeps new trails from being built. Oh well, the improvements will keep that section fun, and as per usual updates to Beverly will be delayed. The grassy section of the pumptey powerline crossing is still pretty wet and in need of compression, fat bikes would be perfect, wonder if any will be there tomorrow night?
Ken
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday Trailwork

Postby DL1030 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 am

Ken wrote:I got word the pumpety powerline crossing was rutted pretty badly so I headed over there to do some work, and it was a lot of work... an example of how riding trails before they're ready results in trail work that keeps new trails from being built.

:(
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Re: Tuesday Trailwork (6a-b project)

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Yeah, we're gonna need to figure a way to get more people involved in the process of bringing a trail from phase 1 to rideable. So, below are maps of the project with descriptions of the non-technical things needing done...

1 - rough raking of the debris in the corridor... broadcast the stuff away from the mowed corridor, either direction would be great, out of sight out of mind preserving the aesthetic of the trail and the area. Some of this has already been done but much more needs to be removed before the trail crew can begin establishing tread, and the trail ridden (without flat tyres!).

The 6a to 6b route above has been mowed in nice and wide (no worries as it'll all grow back quick) so workers have room to maneuver as they further clear the corridor and establish tread.

2 - there is a lot of interesting metal debris and some trash in the area, for safety and environmental reasons it should ALL be removed from the park; for now it can either be accumulated in a single spot near the sight or moved onto the debris / trash pile at the end of the service road.
3 - the old trail will need proper reclamation... installation of erosion controls, loosening of the tread, replanting of native vegetation & hopefully some trees.
Brown spots indicate debris / trash, the red is collection of concrete that we will discuss momentarily.

3 - Lastly the trail crew will pin flag the specific trail and begin establishing the tread, this responsibly won't happen in a way that produces a high quality trail until the above steps are complete. Will you help?
Finished product! The red will be an opportunity for a unique technical trail feature (TTF).
Ken
Site Admin

Postby DL1030 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:28 pm

update on 6a
old trail is still considered the suggested route.

-most thorns cleared, a few of us rode it without issue. If someone could walk the trail and pull weeds to double check, that be awesome.
-tree stumps (plural) in the tread, polaski needed to get the roots. (I rode the pink flag tape out there but completely forgot to mark them, please be careful if you ride). the dead tree might be a b___, have fun drink beer!!
-some random junk spread about. trail was cleared but a car tire here, hose there, some mean looking sickle thing...
-mcloud work needed, clearly see where I left off. raked well to remove the thorns, but still needs love.
-ttf, did not even attempt to clear, thorns thorns.

3 - the old trail will need proper reclamation... installation of erosion controls, loosening of the tread, replanting of native vegetation & hopefully some trees.

taking ideas
DL1030

Postby DL1030 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:48 pm

additional update: Spring is here

I have always read it was *possible* to get Poison Ivy in the winter but never had the pleasure....well, friday was still 'winter' and by George, my arms are dotted up. be careful where you are bushwhacking, what vines you are pulling on and any red 3-5 leafs plants (they could still be growing so the numbers can be off). ALSO, ticks are out in force. Pulled off 5 of them yesterday through out the day.

So what I am saying, dont get lazy b/c you are excited to ride or do trail work. remember your shower bag/ bug spray/ tick plucker off'r/sun screen/etc or you will pay for it later.
DL1030

Postby Ken » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Oh man, ya gotta be ever vigilant about that stuff... pretty sure ticks are attracted to vibration, had my radio out there Sunday and at one time counted 7 crawling around on it! In fact, right now my skin is crawling with tick-a-noia :?

So yeah, 6a-b reroute is ready to ride, and there is potential on this trail for some cool features as in a concrete garden, a few berms, and some pumpety pump; good stuff! We still need to plant trees in the area and transfer some native vegetation to the old trail tread.

Some dudes from Minnesota, in town on business, happened by Beverly and were hooting and woot wooting as they did yellow brick road, having a blast; they were the first to ride the new reroute and gave it good reviews for a relatively rough / new trail.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Beverly Park