Trail Conditions

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Re: Trail Conditions

Postby bigfish » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Never stop moving forward- Mark
bigfish

Postby Ken » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks BigFish, Brad, crrimson, Garasaki, and Paul for coming out to knock out this job!

All trees posted by Jeep are either out or routed around, and then some. The tree down over the double black sawmill slab bridge is left intentionally to close that section of trail.

Thanks Again!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby bigfish » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:13 pm

I walked the front side and some the inside loop with my son this morning. The trails were clear from trees with the exception of some low hanging branches. Kind of bummed I didn't bring a bike and ride a little, but we still had a good time.
bigfish

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:59 pm

Don't do it.

via... http://mtbid.org/
Ken
Site Admin

Postby bigfish » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Took the older two through a good majority of the park on foot today. The front side has some serious icy patches that are pretty long. The area where you cross under the power lines before the old cars is really icy. Without studs, it looks pretty sketchy. The rest of the trails were great. Frozen hard! Only real evidence of any travel in the recent thaw and rains were the deer and a big dog.
bigfish

Postby Ken » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Friends,

Welcome once again to spring at Beverly Park!

The beginning of every mt. biking season is likely to include trails with lots of debris, ruts, downed trees, and varying soil conditions.

So keep your heads up, and kick some sticks off trail, eh? If you want to get more involved stay tuned here and Facebook for notices (some short and some not) re: trail work.

Keep your fingers crossed for rain this week, believe it or not, we need it.

p.s. Much thanks to the city for the additional rock / grading, taking the muddy parking situation mostly out of this early spring equation. Huge thanks to local advocates coming out to lend a hand with trail work, and also those who take it upon themselves to get some maintenance done on their own... be safe out there and consider logging hours - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... c0E6MA&ifq
Ken
Site Admin

Postby DaBigBR » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:11 am

Can anybody advise what actual trail conditions were throughout the park this weekend? Current trail status is listed as "fair", but the phone system says winter conditions in effect and not to ride if above freezing...I'm riding "somewhere" today (Monday 4/8) and don't want to make the trip up to Beverly if it's not ridable (I understand that the overnight rain may be a factor).

If not Beverly, then Sylvan Island here I come.

Thanks!
DaBigBR

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:27 am

My last post was the jinx. Given the overnight rain, I wouldn't ride Beverly today; doesn't look favorable this week either... http://forecast.io/#/f/41.9390,-91.7077
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:29 am

Hey,

Any idea whom at the city is responsible for the gravel? It would be sic of us to send them some thank you letters or truffles or a small car as a token of our appriciation.

Garasaki

Postby DaBigBR » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Ken wrote:My last post was the jinx. Given the overnight rain, I wouldn't ride Beverly today; doesn't look favorable this week either... http://forecast.io/#/f/41.9390,-91.7077

Might have been my fault, too...went inside and it was lightly sprinkling, made my post, went back outside, and it started to pour.
DaBigBR

Postby mem » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Be sure to thank Lisa (trail run coordinator) as she made the initial request.
Cedar Rapids Parks Department received the request and took care of the task:
Attn: Daniel Gibbins
4900 Council Street NE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Garasaki wrote:Hey,

Any idea whom at the city is responsible for the gravel? It would be sic of us to send them some thank you letters or truffles or a small car as a token of our appriciation.
mem

Postby Maxcycles » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Being that the conditions have improved to moderate as of sometime today, I assume Beverly is okay to ride until we get more significant rain? I'd like to take my MTB to work tomorrow and ride Bev in the late afternoon as long as things are looking up out there..
Maxcycles

Postby bigfish » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:34 pm

I was at Beverly for a good portion of Saturday. The trails were surprisingly in fairly good condition on the front side. While out there, several people came out and rode without leaving any ruts or doing any damage. We did some digging on one of the trails and found the ground to be a little damp, but not wet or muddy. Sunday's warm temps and winds should of dried things out even more. What moisture we got last week, the vegetation took most of it. What this weeks storms do will be tough to judge. My suggestion is to check the trails yourself and use your best judgement if its ok to ride. I hope to get out sometime early this week and will update the trail status if it calls for it.
bigfish

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Quite a bit of trail litter / sticks and a few grape vines and low hanging / leaning trees, so keep your head up! Other than that, trails are in good shape, get out and ride 'em!

1st Wednesday of the year was good, this pic doesn't do justice...

*edit: had a little help snippin' some whips and kickin' some sticks tonight, if ya should choose to do the same or anything else to help LAMBA, log your hours here... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... c0E6MA&ifq

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Ken wrote:1st Wednesday of the year was good, this pic doesn't do justice...

sic!
Garasaki

Postby dgw2jr » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Trails were in great shape today! Great work LAMBA!
dgw2jr

Postby Ken » Tue May 21, 2013 10:40 pm

MAJOR tree damage at Beverly, riding is significantly halted and many trails are closed; some will probably stay that way...

However, after walking the park twice tonight I think we can open most everything except the main portion of the FrontSide.

We'll need people to run saws, disperse debris off trail, and help with some mini reroutes; and we'll be doing it Wednesday, and possibly Thursday.

Bring gloves, loppers, pruner saws, the proper clothes, something to eat / drink, etc.

Here's an awesome map and a few pix to help you understand...

LAMBA does not condone users taking this on solo! Should you decide to help please cut only orange painted trees and be sure to have a partner / buddy in case of an emergency.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby crrimson » Tue May 21, 2013 11:06 pm

I'm dreading seeing what happened. I'll be out tomorrow night to help out.
crrimson

Postby Stumpy » Wed May 22, 2013 7:10 am

See ya there
Stumpy

Postby crrimson » Thu May 23, 2013 4:55 pm

What now?

I would like to see if the city can help clear the front side of the park. Please let us know what we can do to help.
crrimson

PreviousNext

Return to Beverly Park