Trail Work, Saturday!

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Trail Work, Saturday!

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:44 pm

It's that time of year! This Saturday we're planning to do some roughing in of reroutes in areas where the upcoming tree planting will take place... it'll be a clearing the corridor process which includes but not limited to: clearing fallen trees / debris and mowing in the path, trail tread will not be established at this time.

Will be starting rather early so we can be walking around on semi-firm ground rather than sloppy. We won't need a lot of people, so please post up email or pm me if you're interested in helping out.
Ken
Site Admin

Re: Trail Work, Saturday!

Postby Garasaki » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:48 am

I can't commit but gimme the details...
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:03 am

Well, the ground is gonna be soft no matter what we do so we'll meet at 10am, front side parking area off 37th and work til we're done or feel like quitting.

Here's a map of what we hope to mow, may seem confusing but don't fret as it is all part of the master plan for better conservation access, less user confusion, and a perception of longer / better riding! Wear cruddy clothing, especially gloves as the stuff we're clearing could include old farm fence / posts.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby urbanbigfoot » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:42 am

Not sure I can make it tomorrow, but I will try. Spring break this week for the kids, so we have some fun stuff planned...trail work was not on the list.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby Stumpy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Sorry. I've got pine wood derby to spectate!
Stumpy

Postby Farmboy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:45 pm

It took me a minute to figure out what the hell you're doing to the trail. But I see it now and I gotta tell ya. That dog will hunt. That will improve things drastically. It really makes sense once you visualize riding it. Fan-freakin-tastic.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby DL1030 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:37 pm

most excellent!

edit: you really got to squint and know where to look to see much...

one pic makes it seem like we didnt do much...lol

thanks everyone for showing up.
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby Ken » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for making me look HUGE!

Speaking of huge, this is gonna be a really good reroute.

Logged 5 people at 5 hours each (10am-3pm)... try to remember to log your hours, it helps LAMBA demonstrate our commitment to the dirty cause... http://ping.fm/GrMxx
Thanks fellas for all the help, we worked on controlling some invasive trees, getting ready for the upcoming MAJOR tree planting, and got a lot of trail corridor cleared which will make way for some excellent riding to an already excellent place to ride...

Speaking of riding, barring precip. we'll be riding soon, very soon.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:57 am

Thanks for the work guys!

Ken wrote:Speaking of riding, barring precip. we'll be riding soon, very soon.

I was wondering if sunday mid afternoon would have been ridable....been a very dry spring (so far). Weather looks amazing this upcoming week...
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 am

There was a group of kids sessioning DitchDigger, conditions were most definitely unfavorable, however we didn't have the heart to tell them as they appeared to be having great fun. That being said, stay off muddy trails please, repairs needed will take away time we would use to improve riding in the park.

Today's precip looks to be passing us by? http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

The forecast looks favorable for the first Wednesday ride of the season... http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Ce ... s+IA+52405

Watch the parking lot though, it'll likely be soft.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby dlporter » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Nice work on the 6a/6b re-route, it rides really nice. When did the 15a power line crossing re-route happen? Totally caught me off guard when I came up to it today. Anyway, great job and many thanks to the folks who helped on the trail work days. I wish I could make it out to more of them, but I always seem to be working when they come up.
dlporter

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:25 am

Hey thanks, nice to hear positive feedback about the work; it certainly is a labor intensive process!

The new powerline crossing happened last fall and more tweaks will be made to it this spring... we need it to match the personality of the green front side and flow a bit better through some of those turns. Don't feel guilty about missing trail work, it simply doesn't work out for everyone and for some it's just not their bag; being an appreciative trail user is great!

If ya wanna get involved in trail work, there is a big day coming up at Squaw Creek April 1st and another at Beverly April 28th. Stayed tuned to the forum / front page / Facebook / email for more information...
dlporter wrote:Nice work on the 6a/6b re-route, it rides really nice. When did the 15a power line crossing re-route happen? Totally caught me off guard when I came up to it today. Anyway, great job and many thanks to the folks who helped on the trail work days. I wish I could make it out to more of them, but I always seem to be working when they come up.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Beverly Park