trail work day this sunday the 13th ( 12:30pm – 3:30pm )

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

trail work day this sunday the 13th ( 12:30pm – 3:30pm )

Postby DL1030 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:33 am

Not one to check the calendar very often so I about let this date slip by.

Work day Sunday, bring some fizzy-drinks and we will have the tools. Sounds like the plan is to reroute the trail by the garbage pile next to highway 30 (#6 i think). We will also be reclaiming the old trail in the process. Ken has the details and will chime in after he looks over the land again today.

Flagging happens today (~4:30pm - 6:30pm, Ken might be out there earlier) so please stop out if you want to check out the process or have a couple ideas. All are welcomed. Or check the flags out on your own time and post up before Friday. I would say what is in the ground Friday for flags will be the new trail put in Sunday. So get out there, look it over and check back!

Help build trails!
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Re: trail work day this sunday the 13th ( 12:30pm – 3:30pm

Postby Ken » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Details? Okay... :D

Trail Friends,

Here is a (trails) project list for the scheduled June 13th trails & conservation day, I will be unable to attend; so thank you very much in advance... any work you do, especially with IMBA standards in mind, is always appreciated!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
• Project “Sustainable Grades” – Trail 6c reroute
• Yellow Brick Road repair / extension – Trail 4c
• May apple relocation / flow improvement / trail reclamation – Trail 2b
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BIG project… “Sustainable Grades”, hwy 30 side trail reroute from citizen mowed west meadow trails to area near garbage pile.

Background: The initial connector trail here was completed rather quickly and by only a few people, it is fall line and in a few short years has already experienced significant deterioration; additionally it didn’t really take into consideration any future trails that were slated to be installed in the area.

Objective: Install new connector from west meadow to area new garbage pile, adhering to IMBA trail building standards and generally speaking, LAMBA’s master trail plan for Beverly Park.

Considerations: This trail is one of the first singletrack / mt. bike oriented trails that users who enter this portion of the park will experience, often these users are citizens who live in the neighborhoods near that end of the park, it needs to demonstrate a positive trail experience. The trail currently runs directly into one of the most difficult trails in the park, the new trail needs to steer beginning users away from the more technical riding area(s), trail routing and filters of the double black trails will hopefully address this issue. June 9th I mowed a fairly wide path through most of the reroute, hence, there are plenty of options to install the best / most sustainable trail tread possible. The first few times I scoped this reroute was via snowshoes during the winter, I was able to clearly see the contours by standing atop the hill and viewing my tracks… during the warmer months it was much more difficult to do by myself / without spotters… therefore the maps below and wide path that has been mowed should be considered a general guideline for where the actual tread should go. #1 is to make the trail sustainable in accordance with IMBA standards. #2 is to maintain good flow and keep in mind a positive user experience. #3 is to consider the double black trail near there and make it easy to miss and challenging to access. #4 is to not re-open the old trail, in fact we should work to preserve the soil on the old fall line by relocating grass and debris to the old tread, hopefully in a way that doesn’t involve just throwing a bunch of sticks on it and calling it good, hoping for a little curb appeal and genuine conservation here.

Area in question…

Phase 1, in the woods…

Phase 2, Farmboy loves meadow trails…

Phase 3, why ride a citizen mowed fall line trail when you can surf a contour? This was only mowed as a single path and does not connect b/c I didn’t want to make in permanent / big decisions here without the group checking it out…

The pink circles are spots where the trail can connect to old trails, if necessary, so that the whole reroute can be done in realistic phases; I hope…

There’s always more to do, and the other listed projects require less explanation; however, it would be ideal for folks who attended the IMBA trail school to lead any of these projects as the content necessary for each of them was covered. I would make other suggestions but that would just be more micromanaging Ken’s being anal stuff… so thanks for showing up, giving a crap, working hard, all that good stuff.

Peace

*edit - so maybe the final product would look something kinda resembling this...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:14 pm

This is a rain or shine deal right?

I plan to be there. Look for the tall dude with the old honda accord that needs new brakes :shifty:
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:59 am

Rain is okay, lightening is not. Realize it is last minute, but we're gonna move the whole thing up to 10 AM @ King Dr entrance... will likely call it by 12:30 as that is when rain is lookin' to explode on us, again.

Thanks!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:56 am

Rain fail. Head to the main parking lot if you come out. We will be here. Trail reclaim. Reroute is for another day
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:33 am

Looks like the move to 10 am might not have worked out so well.

Darn weather.
Garasaki

Postby DL1030 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:53 pm

:) I think we all had a good time! Rain wasnt too bad once you get under the cover of trees.

With many people staying home (understandable) we focused our efforts on a reclaim rather than the reroute. Looks good if I do say so myself. even learned a few things!
DL1030

Postby Ken » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:22 pm

Garasaki wrote:Looks like the move to 10 am might not have worked out so well.

Darn weather.

No kidding, my weather predicting skills leave little to be desired.

DL1030 wrote::) I think we all had a good time! Rain wasnt too bad once you get under the cover of trees.

With many people staying home (understandable) we focused our efforts on a reclaim rather than the reroute. Looks good if I do say so myself. even learned a few things!

Made the most...
Thanks Dave, Rob, Di, & Lisa (not pictured)
Ken
Site Admin

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:04 pm

One sorry looking bunch (Lisa excluded) :wink:
Looks like Di did most of the work as usual and Dave looks spotless :lol:

Thank you very much for your hard work :clap:
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby Ken » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:12 am

Thinkin'bout heading out to the West Meadow at Beverly this morning to do a little work on phase 1 of the Sustainable Grades aka "ghetto meadow" project. More detailed information here... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1153&p=6440#p6440

Coffee is a callin', work to begin appx 10 AM, King Drive entrance... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 5&t=h&z=17

*edit... As I type ILuvTechnical is out there by his lonesome establishing tread on phase 1 of the sustainable grades aka "ghetto meadow" project, if ya got nothin' going on please help the guy, I know he'd / we all'd appreciate it! Easiest to access by parking HERE.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby DL1030 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Ran out of clothes or I would have been there to help, sorry ILT. What did you get done tho!? Gonna be a sweet section coming from King dr.
DL1030

Return to Beverly Park