Yellow brick road?

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Yellow brick road?

Postby Angy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm

So is anything being done to this spot? There have been lots of work on other trails, but nothing being done to YBR. It's a nice little section but not so fun when it's muddy and the rocks don't stay put after one person rides over them. All in all it's a really crappy area, but one my kids and I use often. I don't have any suggestion on what to do to make it better, but I'd be glad to help out if there is an idea. I have heard word it's going to be closed off (not too happy about that) so a permanent solution I know isn't going to happen, but one that can be added for short time use would be nice!
HBA racing team pics seen here...
http://www.angysnoop.com/ (8/1/09-current)
http://picasaweb.google.com/KASKSnoop (2/18/08-7/19/09)
Angy

Re: Yellow brick road?

Postby greenfast » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:33 pm

Anything to avoid the "stupid meadow" would be nice.
greenfast

Postby Garasaki » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm never clear on what the yellow brick road is.

Is it the long uphill meadow that overlooks highway 30?
Garasaki

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Specific details about trails haven't really been worked out or prioritized yet. There are lots of items that need work and the trail crew hasn't had a chance to sit down and get a grip on them. Between the Trek Demo and the IMBA TCC visit the trail crew has been pretty busy. Now that those 2 items are behind us, the crew will get together and figure out what we are doing and when it is happening.

There is a trail work day on Sunday in which some of this will be addressed.

I'm never clear on what the yellow brick road is.

Is it the long uphill meadow that overlooks highway 30?

Yellow brick road is the rock patch put through the mud bog behind all the houses. The south end of it goes up the hill and over the spot "Idiot Nick" drove his truck.
The north end looks right into the back of the houses on 38th Ave.. It runs parallel to the drainage ditch coming out of the housing development.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:25 pm

It's not going to be closed off. I can tell you there has been discussion that includes a plan to work on it on the workday following the upcoming workday. To repair this area correctly and according to IMBA standards is going to require some major work with some major materials in order for the trail repair to remain fortified yet drain properly. Like Eric said, details will be forthcoming as soon as the trail crew can put a more definite plan together.

If a good turnout is realized for the upcoming workday, maybe it is possible some temporary solution could be implemented, but considering it's on the radar for a complete and correct rework, I wouldn't want to expend too many resources too it.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby greenfast » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:57 am

That is good news that it will remain in the trail system. We will not be there this weekend, but will be around in July for that trail work day, so if that is the plan we will be there to help.
greenfast

Postby musthavemuzk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:28 am

i have no idea what you are talking about, but as was said i am out for this month in helping. too many obligations as well as i will be moving my stuff to CR from NW MN.
but i will gladly lend a hand if i am around. i am so hopin july is when i can start helping more.
musthavemuzk

Postby Ken » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Bump. Right click, save these pix, sketch all over them in whatever program you like, and re-post.

The YBR has been discussed AT LENGTH and we want to know what others think should be done with the area.

Bring it.

Looking down / in from the north...

Looking down / in from the east...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Jaxon » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:04 am

I say we brainstorm and throw out as many ideas as we can think of and then eliminate the impractical ones and rank the remaining ideas. This is what I can think of. Some of them could probably be combined.

- Put a bridge of some sort (lumber or sawed logs) over the wet area. Leave the stone on either side. Use the stone removed from under the bridge to expand one or both sides of the YBR.

- Install tiles or tubes or concrete blocks (or something) under part of the YBR and channel the water through it.

- Put a fairly thick layer of dirt, sand or gravel over the wet area and let the water flow under/through. Stone could be put on top.

- Close the YBR area and re-route to one side or the other where it is drier.
Jaxon

Postby Doveski » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:08 pm

My 2 cents (which isn't worth much since i haven't been able to get away on trail work day yet because of being busy with work, school and wedding planning) but has it been tossed around to rip the rocks out and build a rock garden trail section or something and then just build a nice bridge over the wet patch? I think adding a rock garden section to a trail would be really cool. anyway... just a thought.
Doveski

Postby Tj-Tigger » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:37 pm

i would say bridge with the rocks moved to either end of the bridge. Is it wide enough where you could have a wide bridge for normal users and a skinny bridge for those who want a more technical portion of the trail?

I would be one to go over the normal bridge, but my son likes to try the technical stuff.
Tj-Tigger

Postby Ken » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Here's a bridge / rock combo thing we rode in the Yukon, labor intenSive, but pretty cool...

Ryan Leech!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:49 pm

Here is the "Boadwalk" at ScoCoPa they put it b/c it was a damp area.

There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby Farmboy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:14 pm

The difference between a damp section and the problem at Beverly is that the YBR sits at the bottom of a ravine that empties the runoff from a massive area of the park into the creek. So if a boardwalk were to be constructed, it would have to be elevated. They did a helluva job there at Scott County though.
Farmboy

Postby DL1030 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Please people, start talking about this again. This spot is a huge concern for me this spring. we went all last year talking about the problem but no one came up with a plan that could be agreed on. every year it will get worse as the pit grows longer up the trail.

not shooting down ideas, just adding my 2cents

- Install tiles or tubes or concrete blocks (or something) under part of the YBR and channel the water through it.

concrete blocks were installed when it was built, they need to be cleaned about three times a year. Anything we build, trail or feature, should never need that amount of upkeep.

- Put a fairly thick layer of dirt, sand or gravel over the wet area and let the water flow under/through. Stone could be put on top.

more road looking than single track. and likely would turn into a dam again. that area drains acres of land

CAN you focus on your surroundings when you ride? figured the meadow would just be a blur...ride faster imo. :lol:

- Close the YBR area and re-route to one side or the other where it is drier.

not drier on either side and moving the dam will only move the problem.

Ken does have a reroute idea to avoid the area completely (still can be tweaked)
before
after

rip the rocks out and build a rock garden trail section or something and then just build a nice bridge over the wet patch?

- Put a bridge of some sort (lumber or sawed logs) over the wet area. Leave the stone on either side. Use the stone removed from under the bridge to expand one or both sides of the YBR.

two parts
bridge:
yukon style would be nice (assuming we cut our own planks), dirt covered is also gaining popularity out west

stringers
boardwalk
blended

IMO, this bridge would be too big for store bought 2x4 decking. 2x4s are fine for short bridges but when they get long they start to look boring/dumb/ugly

rocks:
Once the current dam (ybr) is removed natural drainage will be restored. at that point I am confident that YBR will stop growing longer. and i agree, building a rock garden would be sweet!

I would be one to go over the normal bridge, but my son likes to try the technical stuff.

Not the right area for a technical feature (skinny). falling into mud blows. We will find him other stuff to ride elsewhere. be sure of it.

so as I see it we have a couple viable options (short of closing the trail)

1) Ken's reroute, aka, gtfo of the mud. (his reroute is not set in stone, only an idea to avoid the low spot. feedback is welcomed)

2) bridge, be it dirt covered or milled on site (dirt helps to hide the bridge, does it help enough?)

3) one or two people who is tasked with cleaning the current drains TWICE a year minimum (not sure if this would even work as the dam is 'sinking', cutting a drainage ditch would lead to even worse problems. and the drainage has already shifted so the rock bridge would need to be extended...which is bad. ok, so maybe this boat sailed already)

guess we have two ideas... thoughts, opinions, mullet pics...?
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby greenfast » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:12 pm

DL1030 wrote:

CAN you focus on your surroundings when you ride? figured the meadow would just be a blur...ride faster imo. :lol:

And to think everyone tells me I ride to fast to begin with, imagine how fast I would need to go to make the meadow a blur ;)

I am liking the bridge idea and will be willing to help whenever the project is agreed upon and a date is set.
greenfast

Postby urbanbigfoot » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:21 pm

I like the bridge idea. Keep me clued in and I'll try to get out and help anyway I can.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby Farmboy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:25 pm

How 'bout we close YBR and reroute the approach to the bridge to the west meadow to control speed. Then make that bridge wider and use the trail on the west side of the stream as the connection to the farm road. The section south of the YBR remains open to allow connection to and from the inner loop to and from the south.

The YBR was a cool idea while it lasted, but I don't think any of our options are good here in terms of budget and sustainability. This is stricly my opinion and my opinion only. Not to mention, it's just an idea.
Farmboy

Postby Jaxon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:24 am

The end of the green trail along the powerlines as it turns toward the YBR is turning into a gutter, so closing that section is necessary (suggested by Ken in email too). I'm not in favor of re-rerouting that trail and still connecting to the YBR area. Connecting to the west meadow would be easy if not the most desirable. If we close YBR, one question is whether to abandon the rock, or move it somewhere dryer to make a new YBR.
Jaxon

Postby Ken » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Ken
Site Admin

Next

Return to Beverly Park