Yellow brick road?

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Re: Yellow brick road?

Postby NoyzSource » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:03 pm

I know this is a sketch up but the lower right corner of your picture is a no-trail zone. Where it transitions from open area to trees is a slight drop off that is muddy most of the time. That is why the bridge is where it is.

If this YBR is going to divert resources away from building the full inner loop trail up through the meadow then I say get rid of the POS and work on it some other year. Quit delaying the inner loop extension.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby DL1030 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:03 pm

flip the intersection?

Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Alright people, this YBR thing is really holding up resources needed so many other places in the park, so I'm proposing we rock it out (no pun) before the riding season begins...

Keep it simple and fix up what already exists, it's a good route and we can and should do a really nice job on it...
* Rehab the trail leading to YBR the best we can (deberming and reinforcing / armoring).
* Portions of YBR remain but are raised and connected by bridges that allow for proper drainage.

We will need to purchase lumber. We will need donated lumber. We will need bodies. Please start asking around...
* Ground contact rated dimensional lumber as stringers, treated lumber decking planks... strong & simple.
* Rock, any scrap rock someone is willing to donate, serves as a base for approaches and bridge abutments.
* Cinder / gravel to reinforce the Cannon's Run type rut that is growing and fill in space between rocks.
* Drainage tile with silt sock, doesn't have to be terribly long (<100 ft).

There's no reason this project cannot be completed by the time the trails are dry enough to ride... lets team up and get it done folks.

*edit: post up, pm, and or email if you have time / materials to donate...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Ken wrote:Keep it simple and fix up what already exists, it's a good route and we can and should do a really nice job on it...
* Rehab the trail leading to YBR the best we can (deberming and reinforcing / armoring).
There's no reason this project cannot be completed by the time the trails are dry enough to ride... lets team up and get it done folks.

This Saturday, March 12th, from 1-3 we'll be working to rehab a crowd favorite @ Beverly Park, Trail 4b.

If you are available and interested in lending a hand, meet at the end of Royal Drive between 1 & 3 PM, the work will be close to that area; we must try to tread lightly as the ground will likely be mushy.

What to bring:
-Weather appropriate clothing
-Work gloves
-50 gallon buckets or something to carry dirt / rock
-A change of shoes
-Something to drink

1 - We'll give instruction on how to use a mcleod to de-berm trails, then de-berm Trail 4b as needed.
2 - We'll reinforce the worn tread with rock, just enough to strengthen not de-stabilize.
3 - We'll top off the reinforced portions of trail with a good old natural trail surfacing... DIRT!

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks to Ed, Brad, Dave, Eric, Brian, Max, and John... phase 1 of the YBR rehab project is as good as done.

Jaxon rockin' it out...

Ed rockin' it out...

DL bermin' it out...

Approached to YBR has been armored / "graveled"...

Stay tuned to the forum, front pages, and or email lists for notifications re: the next phase...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks to you guys! It's not easy to break away from life to get out there and do this stuff. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to make this happen.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby urbanbigfoot » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Great job! I'll buy you guys a "cold one" the next time I see you. You've earned it. Let us know when you plan to work on phase 2. I'll try to make nit out to help.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby Ken » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Hey thanks, it was no doubt a lot of work, hopefully it pays off in how the trail rides.

Depending on the the return time frame from the Arkansas trip, may try to work on phase 2 Tuesday PM of the 22nd and or during the AM & PM on the 23rd...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks to the help of Eric, Adam, Dave, and Jeff... we were able to get things lined up and under way for installing bridges over the sloppy middle of yellow brick road (YBR).

Be WARNED, presently the bridges are simply sitting on the ground and are not lined up as they will when completed... proceed with CAUTION.

We still need to install 4 posts as support piers, below frost line, which requires quite a bit of difficult post hole digging in a wet area. Some carpentry work will be needed to afix the bridges to one another and the posts. Lastly, the approaches to each end of the bridge will need to be properly graded and, from rock and dirt.

If I am unable to get out there during the week this will likely be the focus of Saturday's trail work day... *note: there will be plenty of other project options available as well :)
Ken
Site Admin

Postby DL1030 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:09 am

Two posts put in and rock base raised up. ride-able but still not complete. be careful!
DL1030

Postby greenfast » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:48 am

After riding Beverly for the first time this year yesterday I have a few comments. I appreciate all the hard work that has been put in to this project and scheduling conflicts have kept me from being able to help, with that said what was the reason behind the rock? It is sketchy to say the least at high speed going down that trail now, I had to check my self before going too fast into it the second time. Also that is where the YBR solution is going to stay? The one side where Adam is in the picture above my post there is a tree right off the end of the ladder bridge, is that going to be rerouted so the tree isn't an issue, seemed if you came down the way it is being ridden now you have to slow way down to make it onto the bridge.

I know there is a workday tomorrow, and I am thinking we might make it out for a little bit to help out, plans are to head to the Quad Cities and pre-ride Sylvan for the race on Sunday but sounds like the course won't be layed out until later in the day Saturday, so our morning has just been freed up a bit.

Like I said I do appreciate all the work that has been done out there, just wanted to make a few comments from someone who wasn't involved in the building yet rides out there to maybe help others to better understand the changes.
greenfast

Postby DL1030 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:47 am

what was the reason behind the rock?

it's called ybr? mud is bad? either one :P

current ybr -> 2' dirt ramp -> bridge. simply wouldnt look (or work in the wet area) as well and this is something the riders wanted to keep (YBR as it is currently). I wanted it closed, we all make compromises.

Rocks are lined up with where the trail will be, not where the bridge is right now. rocks will settle over time and once the bridge is in place it will be finalized. Spending hours packing rocks to have the bridge not line up means we redo it all. This section is not done, please use cation.

Also that is where the YBR solution is going to stay?

the support posts do not allow the bridge to be lined up with the trail at this point so it is a bit twisted (the bridge will rest on the supports). two more posts need to be dug down 4' before the posts can be trimmed and bridges installed (lack of helpers = lack of completed projects (a bridge is still needed for the rock garden area too, we know but can only do so much))

tree right off the end of the ladder bridge, is that going to be rerouted so the tree isn't an issue

This tree was never a problem with the old trail alignment and it should not effect the new bridge as we plan to keep the same line. the posts forced our hand with how the bridges sit right now.

At the end of the day we had two options, keep it closed or rig up the bridges to allow temporary access....in the future we will flag these areas better or close them off completely. we intended to keep the trail closed but thought it would be nice to open it up for the daring.
DL1030

Postby greenfast » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:38 pm

DL1030 wrote:
what was the reason behind the rock?

it's called ybr? mud is bad? either one :P

Sorry should have been more clear, I was referring to the loose gravel that has been put down on the trail leading up to YBR or taking the right towards the meadow. That is very loose coming down with any reasonable amount of speed.
greenfast

Postby Ken » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Yeah, despite tamping a fair amount of rock has come loose... however, armoring was the only real way to save this trail. Additionally we did not have the time or manpower to top the gravel with dirt, which is the intention.

Tomorrow I hope enough people show up that we can re-tamp the trail and use remaining loose gravel to fill in around the bridge posts.

Here's the process I hope to complete tomorrow...

YBR bridge install:
□ Double check alignment / hole placement
□ Dig 4 more holes, > 40 “ deep!
□ During digging, re-tamp & collect remaining loose gravel from approach trail, to be used for setting posts.
□ Place posts…
o Gravel in / around bottom after post(s) placed
o Mix of dirt, mud, remaining gravel & bigger rocks the rest of the way
o Be sure posts are level!
□ Chop off posts at desired heights, higher in center than ends
□ Set bridges…
o Remove decking as necessary
oString bridges together
oAdd stringer to stringer brace near posts
oCross brace posts for lateral rigidity
oRock support bridge ends and brace as needed
oAffix properly set / placed bridges to posts
oReplace removed decking
□ Clean up approaches
□ Ride it!

Equipment / tools:
□ Post hole digger(s)
□ Shovels (3-4)
□ Tampers (2-3)
□ Mcleod(s)?
□ Wheel barrow
□ Bucket
□ Level
□ Tape measure
□ Marker
□ Chainsaw + chaps
□ Battery powered saw & drill(s), charged!
□ Drill bits
□ Screws

Supplies:
□ Something to drink!
□ Something to eat
□ Hat / gloves / boots
□ Glasses
Ken
Site Admin

Postby DL1030 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:07 pm

that section was/is in BAD shape!! loose gravel (until riders pack it down) or a 2' deep 'U' trail that is going to grab at pedals or do a massive reroute (and please everyone with design, which isnt happening if you read this thread). pick your poison.

for now, we took the easiest and cheapest approach as a test. Honestly have no idea how it will turn out but I am being optimistic. When told of the plan I wasnt a fan and i didnt like it when it went in (I even helped). I also know if we dont like it or it doesnt work we can close and reroute, gravel wont hurt anything after the trail is reclaimed. The thought behind using the rock is solid. raises the tread, holds dirt in place, slows drainage, overall re-enforced. So if it works, that is awesome! if it doesnt, then we take the next step and are only out a truck bed of donated gravel.

Sugar is also experiencing problems like these with trails that poke out from under trees and dry out. Ed was on hand and I know he is excited to see what happens. cannon's run might get a bit of gravel if this helps.
DL1030

Postby Ken » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:12 am

I want to personally thank everyone who came out today, some showed up early, everyone else stayed late, 15+ altogether for one of the more difficult trail work days I can remember...

DL & the Snoops beat me out there and got things under way. Had a heck of the time getting the trailer on site with all the road construction. Had to improvise some on the bridge design, came together different and better than planned; drained every tool battery we had. Trail 17 filter / technical entrance re-vamped, which was also a ton of work.

Great day! Thanks everyone!

A few pix here... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1531
Ken
Site Admin

Postby urbanbigfoot » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Rode Beverly again tonight, and I have to say...I immensely enjoy riding the new bridge over the YBR. Thanks again to all that helped. :clap:
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby Ken » Sun May 01, 2011 11:06 am

Check out this bridge building style... http://thor-trails.blogspot.com/2011/04 ... llies.html
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue May 10, 2011 4:09 pm

HELP WANTED - approach to Yellow Brick Road trail intersection...

Anyone up for the labor intensive job of completing step three & four of this trail rehab process?

There are other focuses in the park that must be attended to before the mowing season begins, so the gravely trail will stay that way unless someone steps in to complete the job... anybody? Anybody?

Email me, PM me, and I'll do everything in my power to help any volunteers out!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri May 25, 2012 7:41 am

Opportunity knocks! - DIRT.

Hoping to breathe a little life into this project some time prior to the July 1 race... why? Because this is a FAST corner and could use some traction, and more importantly erosion control features so it lasts. If you're passionate about the way this section of trail rides or doesn't ride, consider donating your time to make the rehab happen.

Stay tuned... post up / PM / email me your availability!
Ken
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Beverly Park