if it aint raining, I am working

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

if it aint raining, I am working

Postby DL1030 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:08 pm

If the rain holds off Tuesday afternoon I will be heading out for a bit of trail work. We have trails that needs to be reclaimed, RGD (and other erosion preventive measures) that need to be freshened up, a couple older TTFs need attention, might even start a new reroute.... Depending on who can make it out is what we will tackle.

Doubt we would get a ride in due to the thunderstorms rolling in now but hanging out after like we did ride is not out of the question. almost mandatory anymore lol.

also dont feel guilty if you cant make it. This is not a formal work day, more of a get together to swing a mcloud and play in dirt.
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Re: if it aint raining, I am working

Postby Ken » Mon May 10, 2010 9:55 pm

In. 5ish in the PM...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby musthavemuzk » Mon May 10, 2010 11:23 pm

if i didnt have something planned with my girl i would come out...
musthavemuzk

Postby DL1030 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:27 pm

got a little done. few erosion updates on the twisties by the 2a/15 connector. Scott was also out there mowing, he got a bit done. mowed from the parking lot out to the bridge by the yellow brick road and the inner loop. both sides! very nice.

log over on 13 is ride-able again. (should be tricky, kept with Noel's idea of big little big.)

once I was done I found an extra log, so i dug it into the trail just a few feet away.

*also pulled some sticks off the trail we reclaimed a few weeks back as the plants are popping up all over. couple more weeks and the old trail will be gone. I should have grabbed a pic. the old trail that wasnt broke up was still hard packed. that little bit of work to break it up really made a difference
DL1030

Reclaim-a-trail Tuesday

Postby DL1030 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:20 am

I will be back out there tuesday again for some dirt moving (5pm till whenever). If the trails are ride-able bring the bike, otherwise a good sense of humor will be enough. Maybe gloves...

Reclaim-a-Trail Tuesday:
This week's goal is to get rid of the eye sore at the 4-way connector. Trash the tread, replant a few native plants and put a few of those prickly bushes at each end. There is another rerouted trail at the front of the park as well that could use some love if time allows.

Why?
Here are a couple pics that can show you the type of transformation can happen with just a little dirt love.

This is the old 2a->3 connector trail that we ripped up a couple weeks back (Mar 19th). Plants are popping up all over, the park is reclaiming that trail more and more every day. Couple more weeks and we shouldnt even see it unless you know where to look. The section of trail in the foreground is the same, unused, trail that wasnt ripped up. You can see how hard packed it still is. nothing is growing on it. night and day difference.

What we are fixing:
this old rerouted, 'u' shaped, hard packed, nothing ever going to grow on it, trail. This trail hasnt been used for a long while and it still looks like a fast groomed trail. imo, an eyesore.

We modified the park to let us ride it, when we are done we need to give it back to the park.
DL1030

Postby DL1030 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:51 am

same trail with about 30 minutes of work left (untouched->trashed->recovered and planted) looking better

Nice to meet a few new riders out there yesterday and talk to a few faces I did know. Out-of-towner from MN stopped by and was surprised that we had something other than sugar in the area worth riding. Loads of compliments for the park, you all deserve the pat on the back. And two others guys on their first lap at Bev ever, lost and having fun, until the bike crapped out.
DL1030

another week, another project.

Postby DL1030 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:11 am

Thinking this Tuesday is going to be spent on the reroute of 2a that was mowed a couple weeks back right at the start of the trail. Half of the reroute was completed (and riding good now) but the other section wasnt as big of a deal at the time. Not a huge reroute and shouldnt take very long to knock it out. I will be there around 5pm.

another option would be for the yellow brick road repair. I know some people have been putting in time here and there, with a group it could be finished fairly fast. more hands, less work you have to do. be thinking about it people, YBR really needs the love.
DL1030

Postby NoyzSource » Mon May 24, 2010 10:26 am

Don't touch the YBR until we have a plan on what to do. That area and a couple others need some work and a real plan to take care of them. I'm worried that a "temporary fix" may downplay the actual critical care the YBR needs. The YBR needs some hard core armoring and tiling to make a long term solution.

A better choice than the YBR is the correction of the damage that idiot Nick did to the trail. Not sure if the best solution to that is to bench cut further in or to shore it up on the downslope with a log and fill it back in to the original tread. I'm concerned about the erosion on that slope since that idiot Nick tore up so much stuff below the trail.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby DL1030 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:01 am

If you or anyone else would like to come out and talk about a plan, please do so, I will be there at 5pm. Bring the books so we can review standards.

Otherwise, I will be on the front side working on the approved reroute that was mowed in a few weeks back.
Last edited by DL1030 on Tue May 25, 2010 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
DL1030

Postby musthavemuzk » Mon May 24, 2010 11:19 am

nick sure was a bad boy....
musthavemuzk

Postby DL1030 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:05 pm

trails were looking good.

Got a little done :wink:

from the parking lot the reroute ducks under the tree rather than heading up the hill

these little guys were in the way so they got moved (the close one on the right looks like PI, leaves of three. doh)

heading towards the parking lot may catch you by surprise. Please ride it (both ways) and let someone know what you think. watch out for the Jacks on the right! If we need to adjust the trail the jacks will get replanted.

and another looking towards the parking lot b/c we all like pictures

less fall line, more curves
Last edited by DL1030 on Tue May 25, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DL1030

Postby DL1030 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:10 pm

....turn up the radio, blast the stereo... Ken, why did you have to get that song stuck in my head ....pump it
DL1030

Postby musthavemuzk » Wed May 26, 2010 9:02 am

yes we all like pictures...
how did the PI treat ya?
i really need to get out for some pics of the Jack and other things as well, but just not much time for play right now.

looks good though
musthavemuzk

Postby Ken » Wed May 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Sorry about that, look fwd: to checking out the flow. One day I will be back on the bike, eh. Thanks for the work!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby DL1030 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:52 am

i will be out there today to reclaim the trail that was rerouted last week. Check dams, replanting, nothing hard or for very long. I am one tired cat today.

did people try out the new reroute? Was the corner to sharp? Or is it something we could get use to?
DL1030

Postby urbanbigfoot » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:49 pm

I tried the reroute, and it only caught me off guard the first time around. I was so use to blasting around the corner to carry steam up the incline and completely forgot about it. Anyway, seems fine to me, but definitely needs some riding to break'er in.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby Garasaki » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:47 am

Assuming that reroute is where I think it is, I definately prefer it - that was always the "omg I can't believe I have to climb 1 more hill before I get to the car!?!?!?!?!?" spot....
Garasaki

Postby Tj-Tigger » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:12 am

The reroute is ok but the corner to hit it is seems sharp. Might be nice to round out the corner. I am not a fast rider and that last hill before the end would always catch me and I would slow up before exiting the trail.
Tj-Tigger

Postby DL1030 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:30 am

DL1030

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:14 am

Top notch! We know what y'all are sayin' about the abrupt corner... what we're wanting / hoping to do is transplant the native may apples contained in that space to the reclaimed trail. A mini crew of 2 or 3 could pull this off quick, takers?
Ken
Site Admin

Next

Return to Beverly Park