Work Days vs Racing

Trail conditions, updates, suggestions, etc... post here.

Work Days vs Racing

Postby NoyzSource » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:56 pm

Sat May 8 Sugarbottom Work Day - Sugarbottom Trails
Sun May 9 IMBCS #3 Camp Ingawanis, Waverly, IA
Sat May 15 Trail & Conservation Day - Beverly Park, Cedar Rapids, IA
Sun May 16 Trek Demo day - Beverly Park, Cedar Rapids, IA
Sun May 23 IMBCS #4 Banner Lakes, Indianola, IA
Sun Jun 6 IMBCS #5 Morehead Pioneer Park, Ida Grove, IA
Sun Jun 13 Trail & Conservation day - Beverly Park, Cedar Rapids, IA
Sun Jul 11 Family Picnic and Ride Day - Beverly Park, Cedar Rapids, IA
Sat Jul 17 IMBCS #6 Scott County Park, Eldridge, IA
Sun Jul 25 IMBCS #7 Seven Oaks Ski Area, Boone, IA
Sun Aug 1 XTERRA Sugarbottom - Sugarbottom
Sun Aug 15 IMBCS #8 Lake Ahquabi State Park, Indianola, IA
Sun Aug 15 Trail & Conservation day - Beverly Park, Cedar Rapids, IA

I don't see any problems until Aug 15.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Re: Work Days vs Racing

Postby musthavemuzk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:58 am

are these things that are on the LAMBA calendar?

are these also things where there will be groups going to?
not that i will compete but if it fits i would like to watch.
musthavemuzk

Postby NoyzSource » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 am

I put them into my personal Google Calendar and compared them to the LAMBA calendar. I don't plan to maintain them so I'm not going to share them.

IMBCS races are on the IORCA Yahoo Group.

Snoop's go to most of them. ILT goes to some also. I'll probably go to a couple of them but I also want to hit some of the Psycowpath races in Nebraska.

If you want me to share the MTB Racing calendar with you I can but remember that I'm not going to update it if things change.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby musthavemuzk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:39 am

i will just keep eye on here and if it works for me to go then great.
thanx for the offer.
being new to this mtn bike thing i am learning things as i go
i would like to make it to 7 oaks though. as i am from Boone. dad lives in town and mom lives over the hill from 7 oaks in moingona.
musthavemuzk

Postby Ken » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:51 am

There are so many things going on, coordinating calendars is tough... http://www.qcforc.org/calendar.php?calendarid=1

Errbody has diff priorities as well. Differn't strokes, it's all good, keep on keepin' on, and stuff...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby musthavemuzk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:58 am

that's the truth Ken.....

do the best you can to do things and not be bored or broke and life is good...
musthavemuzk

Postby iLuvTechnical » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:41 pm

Don't forget about these dates...!!!!!!! :clap: :dance: :D :o :mrgreen:
June 4-6th! IMBA coming to SUGAR :pray:
http://www.icorrmtb.org/wp-content/them ... h=293&zc=1
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby DL1030 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:27 am

NoyzSource wrote:Sun May 16 Trek Demo day - Beverly Park, Cedar Rapids, IA

so...how was the demo day? I had other obligations ( :banana-dance: ) and wasnt able to make it back to town in time to go visit. Many people? How were the trails?
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby Garasaki » Mon May 17, 2010 10:55 am

I attended demo day yesterday. Despite questionable weather, there were a ton of people there (I'd say the entire parkable area of the park was occupied). Nontheless, the trails didn't seem overly crowded.

I enjoyed the heck of taking a GF Rig for a spin, as well as a Superfly 100. I showed up fairly late and didn't have time to try anything else.

The trails were in good condition. The work you guys put into the trails was evident. Thank you for that!

Many of the trails were roped off, and 90% of the trails were turned into 2 way trails - I didn't care for the fact that they were 2 way, but it was also nice to ride some of the trails the opposite direction then normal.

Overall, I had a heck of a time and only wished I had more time to ride there.
Garasaki

Postby fisher2 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:23 am

It was a good time and the trails looked/rode great.

fisher2

Postby Angy » Mon May 17, 2010 11:43 am

I was hoping to see some reviews on the demo day!

We loved it! Got out to Beverly at 11am to ride our bikes before it got crowded. TONS of people throughout the day! They had a "course" set out for those on demo bikes to ride and I think that was great. It avoided alot of the harder sections which we didn't like as Keith wanted to really test these bikes, but I get Trek not wanting newbies to wreck them! The trails are always 2 way, so that wasn't an issue for us since everyone was friendly in moving out of the way (us for them, them for us).

Our boys got to take out some full suspension bikes, they were quite happy! Kaden crashed big time on it riding the newest skinny (bike and kid were okay). Amazing how smooth Beverly is when you're on a full suspension bike! Bit of an overkill for normal use, but sure fun to try out!

It'd be nice to see some of these people retun to Beverly to ride more.
Last edited by Angy on Mon May 17, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HBA racing team pics seen here...
http://www.angysnoop.com/ (8/1/09-current)
http://picasaweb.google.com/KASKSnoop (2/18/08-7/19/09)
Angy

Postby futon » Mon May 17, 2010 1:45 pm

I rode 4 bikes, (well 5 if you count mine) 1.Fisher Cronus Full Carbon . I love riding these carbon road bikes, no flex and fast wheels, pure acceleration.

2.fisher Rig single speed, I really love being able to bounce down trails and having no noise from the drive train, quick and tight in the rear end. Not being use to the single speed, it was different having to stand on climbs and reaching for the non-existent gear lever. strange looking stem and handlebar, rough metal flake?
3. The $10,720.49 DI 2 6.9 Madone. rode this just for the electronic shifting.
went down edgewood toward wilson and was passing cars that cost less., hoping someone would see me on this sweet ride.
4. Trek Fuel EX Full Suspension, I was kind of tired by this point, I had already ridden my own bike 1 lap, plus 2 laps on the rig, plus the ride there, so I didn't have much energy to really test the full suspension, I don't think I will need a full suspension any time soon around here. I was really pushing the bike into the corners and having the suspension eat up the bumps so I could keep the tires on the ground for smooth cornering.

they had one bike with the on the fly adjustable seatpost , kind of cool, again not so much needed around here.

I really liked the Rig, just what I need, another bike in the bedroom.

Thanks for Hall's and the mechanics for a great event.
futon

Postby greenfast » Mon May 17, 2010 3:12 pm

I got into 3 different bike during the day.

We showed up around 11ish and wanted to get out on our bikes before people got there, came back to the lot at around noon and they were ready.

First up was the Superfly 100, I had to see what all the hype was surrounding this bike, so got it dialed in for me and took off. First thing I noticed was going up the first climb, the rear end wasn't quite stiff enough and I felt like I was loosing a lot of energy there, so we get to the top and get a chance to throw it into the corners to so how it flowed. Not sure if was a front suspension set-up, or I am just so used to how well my Lefty performs but I could not get the bike to track well, and felt like I was having to slow down way too much in the corners. Got out to the meadow, and that was about the only place I saw an advantage, smoothed that out really nicely. I was on it for the better part of an hour doing 3+ laps of the course they had setup out there, so that was a good amount of time, and enough for me to decide that full suspension is just not for me, I like feeling the trail. Also I wasn't able to figure out the timing on bunny hopping logs, seemed like it was slow to rebound and you would have to pre-load way in advance.

Next was the GF Rig, single speed, man that thing felt like a rocket after getting off the Superfly. Was a blast bombing down the trails, and for the amount of climbing out at Beverly it wasn't too bad, but not totally sold on SS for anything more hilly. This one tracked better through the corners, and I felt like I could put some serious speed down and it would just stick.

The final ride was on the Madone with the Di2 electric shifting, the bike was way too small for me as all they had was a 54cm, but we made it "fit" so I could get some time on it trying it out. Was such a smooth ride, and the shifting while being nice, was something I could never justify the cost of it. I did however love the carbon frame and wheels, know what is on my wishlist. Soaked up the road bumps really nicely, and when you stomp on the pedals it just goes.

All in all it was a great day, got in just over 3 hours of riding between testing bikes and my own, great day, weather was perfect, and trails were in great shape.
greenfast

Postby Garasaki » Mon May 17, 2010 3:27 pm

I thought the Rig was a ton of fun as well. It was a totally different biking experience then riding a geared bike. It was quiet, really easy to get more in tune with nature, and I felt like it forced me to ride faster and flow more. I really want to build a SS bike now.

I ride a FS bike as my primary ride, and I personally like it for around here (everyone like their bike though, right?). Sugarbottom in particular, it helps smooth out all those !@$#% roots. I feel like the suspension erases a lot of mistakes I make and helps boost confidence. Now that I'm used to bunnyhopping with the FS, I really like it - it does take a bit to get used to the timing - but I feel like I'm riding on springs (which of course, I am).

I wasn't really in love with the Superfly either - don't get me wrong it was nice, but I don't think it was that much better then my bike, although I definately loved the SRAM X.0 drivetrain. Although my experience was that it tracked very straight and was a confidence inspiring ride that performed better the more agressively I rode it.
Garasaki

Postby greenfast » Mon May 17, 2010 9:49 pm

Garasaki wrote:I wasn't really in love with the Superfly either - don't get me wrong it was nice, but I don't think it was that much better then my bike, although I definately loved the SRAM X.0 drivetrain. Although my experience was that it tracked very straight and was a confidence inspiring ride that performed better the more agressively I rode it.

What size did you ride? I talked to Chris E that rode the 21" and he had a totally different experience, but after talking to Norbert who also rode the 19.5" he had the same experience as myself.

If I wasn't racing I would probably consider an FS bike to help smooth everything out, but since I do race, every second counts, and I just feel it was taking away too much of my riding to make me faster. Trust me I pushed it into corners, and I even had the rear end step out on me in the one corner coming back down on trail 2, never had that happen on my bike, was borderline scary.

That is the nice thing about these events though is you get to do a proper test ride on a bike before throwing down a considerable amount of cash on something you might not be sure on.
greenfast

Postby Garasaki » Mon May 17, 2010 10:25 pm

I was on the 19.5" I think, which I felt was much too small for me (I'm 6'2"). In fact, the one thing I walked away from that ride knowing was that I need a bike bigger then 19.5"...

I did find the bike unpredictable under braking - perhaps thats the same thing you are describing. Under braking (and turning, and going over a little crest) I also had the bike hop out from under me once.

I had chalked it up to the light weight and the fact that I wasn't used to a bike that light. I certainly never had the same experience on my normal FS bike - which behaves awesome under braking.

I sort of think they were putting too much pressure in for preload on the rear shock (making it too stiff) - and I definately felt the fork was undersprung for my weight (heh, if you race, I'm sure you are lighter then me so it may have been sprung just right for you!). Too soft in the front, too stiff in the back makes for a scary combination under braking :o and turning too for that matter. I suppose it also makes sense that I felt the bike handled best when ridden agressively and pedalled hard - shifting weight onto the stiff rear shock and away from the fork.

I don't race, I just ride for fun. I can see (especially after riding the rig) how a hardtail would make you faster. I suck when it comes to climbing, not sure if it's my skinny little chicken legs or the bike (I suspected it was the legs). I actually was hoping for a more traditional hardtail to try out on demo day to see how much better it climbed then my FS bike.
Garasaki

Return to Beverly Park