New Bike - Singlespeed back to Geared

New Bike - Singlespeed back to Geared

Postby crrimson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:43 pm

I just bought a new (used) bike from a guy, and it should be delivered this Friday. The guy had converted the bike to singlespeed, but was including the cassette, shifters, chainrings, that originally came with the bike. I talked the guy down in price so I felt like it was asking too much to have him re-assemble it back to geared, even though he said it was ok. I just told him to leave it a singlespeed and that I would convert it back to geared myself.

I spent a lot of money on the bike, and kind of want it to be perfect for atleast a short while, now I'm worried that I'll screw it up! I know I can do it but I'm not terribly confident I will get everything just right. Anyone want to help? How much would a bike shop charge?

Here's the bike I got : http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... spid=39216
(I didn't pay that much or even close to the ridiculous MSRP)
crrimson

Re: New Bike - Singlespeed back to Geared

Postby Farmboy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:50 pm

Time is not on my side, but I could help you sometime. Otherwise, call Steve at Hall's. Take him six pack of that Barleywine. That'll help.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby crrimson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:54 pm

I should be getting it on Friday, hopefully. That's my day off so I might have to run down to the bike shop and pick up a cassette lockring tool and give it my best shot, and if that doesn't work I might have to buy some barley wine! The kind I like even better is the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barleywine. How did you like that stuff by the way?
crrimson

Postby Farmboy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:57 pm

I liked it alot. Don't buy that tool you tool. I'll bring one tomorrow. Shifters and ders should be a snap for a fart smeller, I mean, smart feller like you. For some reason, I hate cutting and measuring cable housing. Hate it.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby MinigunSniper » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:19 am

When I put my Karate Monkey's shifters, derailers and cassette on, I used Park Tool's Big Blue Book and didn't have any problems. Leonard Zinn's books tend to be good, too.
MinigunSniper

Postby crrimson » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Just waiting on the big brown truck to deliver the bike, thanks for letting me borrow the tools Nole.

I was thinking of getting this Park Tool roll-up set for $100: http://www.parktool.com/parktoolgear/de ... item=BK-2#

It's discontinued but it's got all the tools I need and nothing I don't. All the other sets I saw were either stuff I had like screwdrivers and patches, or just way too much stuff for too much money.
crrimson

Postby crrimson » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:56 pm

Anybody out there have a shock pump? My fork is not looking very happy with its 9 PSI
crrimson

Return to Tech Support