Maprika

Maprika

Postby jnecessary » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Anyone heard of this? I've been scoping trails in western NC and found that they have many of them on the app. Pretty cool, not sure how you go about scaling and getting it to work but it seems to allow you to load a map onto google maps or something like that and use it for GPS trail guidance.

Pretty cool, but can't test until we get a local trail on the map to see how it works. Might keep me from doing loops at Bev when I inevitably get lost :)
jnecessary

Re: Maprika

Postby jnecessary » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:54 pm

http://www.maprika.com/

I may try one of the local trails tonight and see what happens.
jnecessary

Re: Maprika

Postby NoyzSource » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:16 pm

I wonder how it does with changes to the trail. Are they easy to get changed? Is that map tied to only 1 person (eg. Ken) so if they move on is it transferrable? Or can multiple people do it?

It definitely looks interesting. Very interesting. Good find!

In my opinion when it comes to maps there are 4 levels we need to address.

1) National - show the points where all the trails are.
2) Regional - statewide + a little ways around the state.
3) Local - County/city trail locations and at this point you can start showing some actual lines and/or Trailheads

Cedar Rapids (for example)
  • CVNT - Line showing trail
  • Sac and Fox - Line showing trail
  • Beverly - spot of trail head
  • Squaw Creek - spot of trail head

4) Individual Trail - Just the specifics of that trail. Trail head, local roads, trail names, trail features, etc.

Maprika seems to address #4.
MTBIowa wants to address #2.
LCTA has a paper map of #3.

I'm not sure where http://mtbproject.com is coming in. My impression is that they want to tackle all 4 of them which would be really nice. Unfortunately they probably would be MTB specific like MTBIowa. The possibilities are limitless and it seems like lots of projects are springing up to try to address the issues.

One of the issues I struggle with is how to make it look good and be functional on a 19" monitor AND a mobile device AND still make it printable because everybody wants to see their maps differently. My skills suck for this and I'm hoping MTBProject.com solves it.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Return to Tech Support