Help Me!

Help Me!

Postby NoyzSource » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:37 pm

I know you probably don't "want continuous updates regarding people's opinions on a slew of useless information" but I sure do like hearing other peoples opinions even if they are wrong. :)

Anyway, I'm stuck on MTBIowa.org and need some ideas for how to make it a more useful website. I still haven't gotten around to a proper front page. I don't really want the website to be a place to post "exclusive" information. I would much rather see the website aggregate news from around the state. Then let it update dynamically as the Iowa clubs update their own website. Hopefully this will drive more visitors to their website and help all of the Iowa clubs be more in tune with each other.

Anyways, I'm also looking for help with moderating this forum, keeping the LAMBA calendar up to date, maintaining the LAMBA website, and coming up with a way to transfer the website to someplace should I be hit by a bus/plane/train/car. Speak up.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Re: Help Me!

Postby dgw2jr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:56 pm

I think the front page is great. Simple and to the point. Plus it looks good on my phone, or any phone for that matter. You don't need a super fast data connection to view it, racking up the data charges and what not. Only thing the front page is missing is a link to the forum page.

The map could be made more awesome if you could link to all the different clubs trail status databases using oData, JSON, AJAX, XML etc etc to automatically update the status without user interaction. They update it on their end and like magic the map on the front page of this website reflects the changes. Then everyone only need check one place! That makes it a lot easier for vagabonds like my wife and I to decide where we plan to ride the next weekend, without having to jump around to 5 or 6 different web sites. Now some people may not like that because it could reduce traffic to their specific site but really I think most people want to know what trails are open so they can ride their bikes, not hang out and chat on the internet about how cool it would be to be riding bikes.
dgw2jr

Postby Jaxon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 pm

I threw together a simple page that pulls in LAMBA, ICORR and FORC trail statuses for non-Android owners:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67603431/mtbtrailstatus.html

Native app for the people who have Android phones:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1819

They just scrape images or HTML. For a proper API, someone would have to write code on each site we pull from.
Jaxon

Postby dgw2jr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Nice! I made the FORC trailstatus.php a server side include for this precise reason!
dgw2jr

Postby killarbb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:51 pm

i like the site.....we just need some more involvement..........HOWEVER. lately ive been riding more and posting on forums less. im guessing others have been the same.

being fairly new to MT biking, social rides are a great way to attract new people. tie it into the website, and in with facebook or twitter.......might find a few more lost souls
killarbb

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:08 am

I definitely want to explore some better options for a "universal" trail status system. What would be the best way to do this?

I personally have LAMBA set up with http://lambaonline.org/conditions.html as a page that gets updated and a conditions.jpg that gets updated. I figured this would give people a predifined link that will not change but the image or page will be updated.

Is there a better way using some of the new tech? Or a way to embed some XML that could be parsed so the data could be displayed however the user wants? I'm beyond my scope of knowledge after basic HTML so somebody with more experience could really show me some cool things.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Return to Tech Support