LAMBA phone number and voicemail

LAMBA phone number and voicemail

Postby NoyzSource » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:06 pm

LAMBA has always had their voicemail system on Google Voice. I had it under my GMail account since that made it easier for me to log in and check the messages/change the greeting. Google has now implemented multiple logins in the same browser and refined the move procedure to make it easier to move already existing numbers to other Google accounts. Now I can use my Google Voice account for my own purposes instead of LAMBA. It also moves some of the functioning back to the generic LAMBA Google account in case I get hit by a bus.

The top reasons for using Google Voice are:
Price - Free
Service - downtime is minimal and there is nothing hosted at my house. When I go on vacation I didn't want to have something die and be down until I got back.

Downsides:
Greeting - there is no automated way to change the greetings. When the trail conditions at Beverly Park change, I manually go in and change the greeting. I forget that step a lot.

Therefore we are going to try a hybrid system. Asterisk has a interface to Google Voice now and a member is willing to hook it up and make it go. I think he is currently using a VMWare/Linux combination but I'm hoping to scrounge up some dough to get a Raspberry PI for him to play with.

Hybrid advantage:
Automated greeting changes.
Customizable prompts - Beverly, Thomas, Squaw, Pinicon
On failure of Asterisk or internet connection we can just manually change stuff on Google Voice.

Downsides:
Hardware in the home of a member who is eating the cost of the electricity and donating their time if it breaks down.

So if you see some flakiness in the LAMBA Voicemail over the course of the next couple months it means we are working on integrating and testing the hybrid system.

Before you suggest that we merge the ICORR and LAMBA systems, I already tried that approach a few years ago. The ICORR volunteers were very busy and didn't have time to set the system up. They have also had some pretty extensive outages in the last few years and when those things hit a busy volunteer the organization usually doesn't get highest priority. I do admire their system though and we are going to try to implement some of the same features in our hybrid setup. Ideally, we can come up with a $100 device that will require some minimal setup and make it easy for any organization to use. Here is my inspiration. http://nerdvittles.com/?p=3026

I am more than happy to discuss the Google Voice system setup to those groups that want to try it out. I'm less knowledgeable about the new hybrid setup but I'm sure the maintainer would be willing to help you get set up.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Re: LAMBA phone number and voicemail

Postby Farmboy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 pm

I have 100% faith in your decisions. You've never done us wrong.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby crrimson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:05 pm

This demo has been set up for a few months now, and I think it would be a good idea to have people test this out / break it:

There is a new phone number (319) 804-9MTB / (319) 804-9682 that will read the current trail status from the Lamba web page and when the status was last updated.

It also allows you to update the current trail status that displays on the Lamba web page in real time via the phone.
You do need a pass code to set the conditions, PM me for this.

We could add more features, like voicemail, text alerts, and better recordings to the line in the future if this is something that ends up working and being useful.

Try it out, post up if there are any problems, or just to let us know it works.
crrimson

Postby Stumpy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:37 pm

I didn't know LAMBA had a phone #.
Stumpy

Postby crrimson » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:17 pm

It may be better to use a SIP trunk for this vs. google voice, since it would be dedicated for this purpose.

I'm finding that for some reason asterisk stops recognizing incoming calls from Google Voice and I have to restart the service to make it to start working again.

It could maybe be something with the server running on vmware. I'll test this out on it's own dedicated server if/when there is a demand for it.

*edit: the bug with calls from google voice not being recognized was fixed in a new version. That's not to say something else won't break if Google changes something. Again, if anyone wants to test this out, the number is the same.
crrimson

Postby futon » Sun May 12, 2013 1:05 pm

no worky
futon

Return to Tech Support