Changes to the forum are coming!

Changes to the forum are coming!

Postby NoyzSource » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:56 pm

The forum will be seeing some fairly major changes in the next few weeks.

Primarily it will be switching to http://MTBIowa.org/forum/ which will make all your cookies useless and require you to relogin. If you are already a LAMBA forum member then your account will still be there.

It will also take a slightly more generic Iowa approach to Mt biking. There will be specific sections for each organization like ICORR and LAMBA. This will allow us to easily add new groups like CVAST (if they want).

I haven't figured out the best way to organize this information yet and would like some more input. I don't want it to grow to the point where it is unruly to try and follow. What do you think it should look like?

Technically you can "deep link" into the group you want (eg. http://goo.gl/qu97J ) to get to ICORR specific information. Each section can also have it's own default "style" to view it. I snagged the generic style template for ICORRs forum and could make their section look almost identical to their current forum.

Definite changes:
Name
logo
theme
reorganized

Hopeful changes:
integration with trail status
more accessibility to trail status changes
additional MTB groups in Iowa
Racing section?
Advocacy section?

I know some of you may not like this but I believe it will help other groups off load some of the "community building" aspect of the club via a forum to somebody that is more knowledgeable. I personally think this is something that IMBA should provide but they are strapped for resources. ICORR specifically ran into spam problems, which is something we solved. Why spend their volunteer hours recreating a solution for something we solved? Other groups don't have the web server or expertise needed to maintain a forum. We do. I already pay for it and it doesn't cost much more to add on another group. It costs just over $100/yr for the current system and we can still grow a little.

-----------------------------------
Shoot me a PM if you are having troubles responding to this post.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Re: Changes to the forum are coming!

Postby Rage » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Killer.

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby Garasaki » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:37 am

I fear change. Your post makes me uncomfortable.
Garasaki

Postby Farmboy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Fan Freakin Tastic. I love the idea. One team, one dream.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby NoyzSource » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:39 pm

OK so we've got some new forums coming in with some new moderators/admins and there could be some PERMISSIONS problems that we run into because we set it up wrong. If you can't post to a specific forum that you think should be available then send me a PM and I'll check it out.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Return to Tech Support