Automated Twitter Ride posting

Automated Twitter Ride posting

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:45 pm

Right now this only works for Twitter.

I've set it up that you can send a message to @beverlypark on twitter about a bike ride and it will get posted on Facebook, Google Buzz, Identi.ca, Twitter, and the left column on the front page on LAMBAonline.org.

Pretty simple.

1) Get a Twitter account.
2) Follow @BeverlyPark
3) Send a message like this:

@beverlypark #bikeride #sugarbottom I'll be there at 5PM. Bring food, I got the grill.

4) See how easy that was?

@beverlypark - this tells twitter that I need to see it.
#bikeride - this is required or my script will ignore your message. I may incorporate #goingriding also
#sugarbottom or #beverly or #thomas or #CVNT - doesn't really matter as long as you can get across where you are going.
A short message at the end that says when, where, or anything else you want to say.

You send message.
My script checks for new messages every 5 minutes and sends me a text message asking for approval.
I send approval and my script (up to 5 minutes later) will send it out to all our social media places.
The round trip will take a minimum of 10 minutes but it could be longer if I don't check my phone or I'm in a meeting or something.

I'm not picky on MTB or road rides either. Whatever ride you want to send.

Once I figure out most of the bugs, I'll be adding a couple of more people that can approve or reject messages. I also plan to add a web based form that you can fill out if you are not on Twitter. I'm not even close to figuring out how that works yet. It may require a login to the forum.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Re: Automated Twitter Ride posting

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:33 pm

My next feat is to somehow get these messages into the forum under Riding so other people that people can just check it while they are normally browsing the forum.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Re: Automated Twitter Ride posting

Postby musthavemuzk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:21 am

ok i see where this is going.
i like mobile information alot

hope this is easy for those like me who can be challenged at times.
i do have FB but no twitter.
i do have a crackberry, and finally on that works. i had a 8330 and well it was ok. i now have a tour 9630 and it is so much better. faster and 3g and more memory so i dont have the sluggishness i had with the curve.

now to make sense and use this stuff you are working on
thanx by the way
musthavemuzk

Return to Tech Support