tire and rim ?'s from a noob

Interested in mountain biking and new to the sport? Here is a place to get started...

tire and rim ?'s from a noob

Postby sally2slow » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:46 pm

Since purchasing a road bike this spring my GF has been interested in riding with me :) . Without a bike for herself (yet) and being too short to ride the new road bike she is left on my trusty Trek 4500. She is new to biking, not in the best of biking shape and riding a bike that weighs almost twice as much as mine. Swapping the nubby dirt tires currently on the bike for something more road forgiving would help a bunch. Only problem, I know nothing about the aftermarket bike game. I know I do not want to swap out the rubber every time I ride, the only real option left is to buy a second set of wheels.

The question is, can I re-use my current rims (came stock, 28" tires, 2.2" wide iirc) for the road/cross country riding with the GF? Is it just as easy as changing the rubber (high pressure tube?) or would a skinnier set of rims be worth the money? Ideally I would like to upgrade my wheels for MTB riding and use the current as hand-me-downs. Any ideas? Recommendations?

*Just heard about this site, very excited to see such interest! Also looking forward to riding the trails in CR, never knew they existed.
sally2slow

Postby mem » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:33 pm

First, get a bike for your girlfriend that she enjoys and fits her!
Next, yes, you can use those rims with a narrow tire/high psi tube. See your local bike shop for recommendations.
mem

Re: tire and rim ?'s from a noob

Postby Farmboy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:33 pm

I agree. If you want her to ride with you and enjoy it, get her a on a suitable bike. If you want her to hate it and never ride with you again, which could be part of your sinister but understandable plan depending on the disposition of your girlfriend, proceed as planned.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby sally2slow » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:26 am

While buying her a new bike sounds great, the initial buy in for someone that is not even sure she likes to ride is rather high. I for sure can say I did not learn how to ride on the most ideal bike, but if you like to ride you keep doing it. She is fine on the MTB for now and she doesnt mind it. She is having fun. Thanks for the answers and recommendations
sally2slow

Postby SweetSVT99 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:30 pm

sally2slow wrote:not even sure she likes to ride is rather highfun.

sally2slow wrote:She is having fun.

Sounds like the stakes aren't really that high. :mrgreen:

I was in pretty much the same position with my g/f a few years ago. She rode a crappy bike a few rides and it was clear that she was having a good time, so I bought her a good used Gary Fisher. She has a few bikes and at least a couple thousand miles logged offroad since then.

That of course is assuming the fit isn't right for her...if it is, great!
SweetSVT99

Return to Beginner's Forum