Pump Track?

All ideas have merit here...

Pump Track?

Postby Charleswv » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:57 am

Thought of a great way to end the random parking/ruining of the grassy area at Beverly...just build a pump track there. That, my friends, would be sweet!
- Chucky V
aka c wagon

Bike - Gary Fisher X-Caliber '09
Crank Bros Eggbeater SL pedals
Salsa Pro-Moto Carbon Flat bar
Bontrager Race XXX Lite stem
Charleswv

Re: Pump Track?

Postby NoyzSource » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:11 am

I've thought about this also. I don't think this would be a good idea in that area. I think people would park there, open up their trunks, and crank the music while they ride. It would also open up a lot of dirt that would be a mudpit after a rain. That would be fun but would probably annoy the neighbors that are very valuable to the success of the park. I think the area near the foundation would be a better area. People could bring music but it would be farther from any neighbors. Exposed dirt and mudpits would be obscured from view by trees.

I do believe a pump track area is a necessary component for continuing growth at Beverly Park.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby andystern » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:14 am

I love the pump track idea! would it be controversial, like the wooden ramps were? I'd hate to have a sweet pump track surrounded by "Please Keep Off" signs....
andystern

Postby NoyzSource » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:38 pm

Yes the pump track is fairly controversial. Some of it stems from having the sessioning area where people go just to do that one feature. They don't branch out and see the rest of the park. Another issue is the look of the area. A lot of work would go into building piles of dirt up. Piles of dirt are not attractive so there would need to be a conscious effort to plant the sides of the dirt piles with native plants.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby trek4700 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:41 pm

a pump track would be amazing that would be sooo much funn
ride hard
trek4700

Postby hojong » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:46 pm

I think it would add variety to a park that's currently only singletrack. I don't think it's a big deal if some people just visit for the pump track. Nothing wrong with sessioning... it would attract a different crowd of riders and they might even start exploring the rest of the park. I'm sure a properly built track would drain well too. I'm sure there's some bmx riders in town we could enlist to help us move dirt around
hojong

Postby 2whlrdr » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:33 pm

Just rode a sweet pump track at the Plainfield Bike Park near Chicago,very fun and was well designed. :clap:
2whlrdr

Postby dirtdigger » Tue May 25, 2010 11:31 am

Love the pump track idea!The foundation area would be great,but there would be some accessibility issues if a loader were used.So a compromise between both,i believe,would to incorporate "pump sections" on certain parts of a trail or trails.This would encourage riders to utilize all parts of the park and blend in better to the surroundings rather than have a whole area exclusively for a pump track.
Dirty Side Down!!
dirtdigger

Postby Garasaki » Tue May 25, 2010 2:04 pm

I think you could actually access the foundation area from the "back entrance" to the park, fairly easily. But I could be totally wrong too.

I agree that a pump or bmx track near the parking lot would be awesome. One of the advantages of putting it close to the road like that would be easy access for emergancy vehicles.

I feel like the people who work on this park already "get this" idea, from some hints and carefully thought phrasing I've seen on these forums, but Beverly Park is really well suited to become a bicycle destination. There is easy access to (what appears to be, since I do not enjoy road riding) good road riding, good MTB trails with room to grow, skills park areas with manmade obsticals, and a flat, easy access area which is large enough for several bmx tracks and pump tracks.

(please don't read this as I am saying the park now is not good enough, I am in fact really grateful that it is nearby and has quality trails there!!)

I could envision Beverly Park, with Sugar Bottom 30 minutes away, being a regional or national destination for 2 wheel affectiados (sp???).
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Tue May 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Good vision people. Perhaps a group could get together to make a proposal for this sort of thing, bring it to the board, vote, approve, make happen. There are LOTS of examples out there...

Read on if you're interested in learning about pump tracks. I would suggest you listen to this song in a separate window whilst viewing the links below, or don't; lame-o.

A good initial write up / description... http://blog.extremeline.com/2008/01/bui ... track.html

The eBook... http://www.leelikesbikes.com/ebook-welc ... ack-nation

Video of a kid navigating an L-track (pump)... http://www.talontrails.com/pics/BL/pumptrack01.mov

Forums about pump tracks:
http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=2471
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=239103

A vision for the front area at Bev...

A vision for the community...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Tue May 25, 2010 2:48 pm

I wonder if someone would want to open a bike shop on site at Beverly. Would that not be boss???
Garasaki

Return to Ideas / Wishlist