Trail conditions phone number

All ideas have merit here...

Trail conditions phone number

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:58 pm

Konabiker mentioned a phone number to get the current trail conditions.

I was thinking an Asterisk server.

The logistics of this server would require:

1 dedicated server
1 internet connection
1 VoIP phone number
Somebody to set it up.

I've never set up an Asterisk server before but I'm not afraid of it. I assume Asterisk@Home or something else. I do have a spare Pentium3 1GHz machine that could be used. I could even set it up on a temporary basis on my home internet line but I haven't done any research on getting a VoIP number.

The call would just go to voicemail. Somebody would have to record a message fairly frequently. Somebody would have to go to trail almost everyday or at least after each storm. I could do that since I live the closest. I need a good walk anyway. :) There could be a bunch of prerecorded messages so I could change the message to the current conditions. A web interface would be the easiest for changing the message.

Just an idea. Others have done it and I would like to hear about the implementation.

Any other ideas on this?
NoyzSource
Site Admin

1-800-MTB

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:47 pm

That sounds like a great idea. I'm wondering if ICORR and or FORC would possibly be interested in signing on and designating a person to update the condition of their trails, all hosted via a single 800 number or something?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby konabiker » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:16 pm

icorr already has an asterisk server
you guys can use ours and we can set it up for both lamba and forc as well
if we want an 800 number, we'd have to figure out how to pay for it
konabiker

lets do this

Postby Ken » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:17 am

Sounds great. Any idea on how much for an 800 line? Does it need to be a landline? Can it be set up via the web where administrators can update trail conditions via phone or computer?

LAMBA would like to support something like this to bring mt. biking groups together. Not only as a gesture of statewide cooperation between such clubs, but a convenient and hopefully user friendly way for the public to access real time information about trail systems.

It would be interesting to know what CITA and FORC think of these sort of ideas.

However, I don't mean to make this more complex than it already is, ICORR & LAMBA would be a logical place to start.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby NoyzSource » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:43 pm

From my research last night:

1) Company to provide phone number and DID (Direct Incoming Dialing?) to forward via the internet to your system.
2) You provide phone system for DID connection that is configured and connected to the internet (SIP or IAX protocols).
3) Configure the phone system to sort the number dialed and which voice mail box it goes to.

After that you can have the company in #1 provide multiple DID numbers and have them forward 800#s to those DIDs.

An alternative to #2 is a standard POTS (plain old telephone system) line into a MODEM style card. Again the 800 number just gets forwarded to that line and the phone system takes care of it.

It sounds like steps 1 and 2 are already taken care of for a regular phone line. If we could configure an 800 number and another mail box for Beverly Park we would be set.

I didn't understand all the jargon I read on the internet last night but it looked like a few places would provide the 800 number with free incoming calls for any SIP or IAX connection. The costs varied from $50-$150/year but I had trouble figuring it out.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

publicity

Postby Ken » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:27 am

In order to publish events in the "Weekend" section of the Gazette on Thursdays you gotta have a phone number...
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Ideas / Wishlist