All weather bike track

All ideas have merit here...

All weather bike track

Postby RollerCoaster » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:26 am

Now seems like a good time to ask again for an all weather bike track at Beverly Park in Cedar Rapids. When I donated the roller ramps my intension was to create a pump track that could be ridden when the trails are too muddy for use. I envisioned the rollers along the side of the gravel wildlife road. A track of limestone or gravel could be ridden any time of the year. I would shovel off any snow to keep the track rideable. We could park at the back entrance to avoid damage to the main park.

When visitors show up before checking trail conditions they would have a feature to ride and keep the trails from being misused.

Thank you for your consideration, Chad

Or we could build a skate / bike park similar to Davenports:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMY25

RollerCoaster

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:04 pm

RC, I would not consider myself a shooter downer of ideas, especially bike ideas; but I think Beverly may not be the venue for this sort of thing. A couple of spots mentioned in this thread seem more ideal, but who knows really? Either way, it'll be a lot of work to bring an idea like this to fruition... to get it accepted by the cycling community and the community at large; I believe it can be done.

A couple of years back there was a neat cover on the QBP catalog called "biketopia", where the entire community is a place for wide varieties of cycling useage; will see if I can find it and post...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby RollerCoaster » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:13 pm

I'll revamp this idea. This all weather track wouldnt include any extreme riding. Just a low key pump track with rollers under 2' high, made from dirt with a gravel surface. Beverly would have the only available riding during the wet months. Our dry season is less than 1/3 of the year. I would like to ride anytime the temp is above 20 degrees. The wildlife road is already gravel. Can we grade it? We need this road for access to the park. Any thoughts are appreciated.
RollerCoaster

Hoover Nature Trail is dry

Postby RollerCoaster » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:34 am

I've been commuting to work from Ely to Yellowbook. I take the Hoover Nature trail between Wright Brothers Rd and 76th St. This trail is limestone so it drys fast. Tuesday evening I sprinted my mtn bike up and down this 1 mile stretch 4 times. I'm going there tonight to ride 6 miles.

Park at either end and join me. The map shows this section as "existing bike path" It's scheduled to be paved this year.

RollerCoaster

Postby richard1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:16 pm

I rode that section of the Hoover trail today. Not much limestone on the bike path this spring. I rode in to Ely and all the cars were very considerate as they passed me. Would be nice to finish the trail all the way into town though.
richard1

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:43 am

Ken wrote:A couple of years back there was a neat cover on the QBP catalog called "biketopia", where the entire community is a place for wide varieties of cycling useage; will see if I can find it and post...

Found it...

No singletrack :( but you get the idea.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Ideas / Wishlist