I-380 overpass

All ideas have merit here...

I-380 overpass

Postby RollerCoaster » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:29 am

Cedar Rapids has the same opportunity as Seattle, WA to utilize an interstate overpass as a mountain bike park. http://evergreenmtb.org/colonnade/
Can we use this area under the I380 overpass as a public bike park?
Things to consider:
Nothing grows under here, its all dirt anyway.
Work and maintenance will be done by volunteers.
Downtown businesses need attactions.
Parking is available.
Many types of bikes can enjoy this year round track.
People in Cedar Rapids need to stay in shape.
Riding a bike is fun.
Here are pictures of the I-5 Colonnade Mountain Bike Park in Seattle:
RollerCoaster

Postby iLuvTechnical » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:58 am

I've been pondering that same question for months. The two things I see as obstacles, but not road-blocks is the parking situation and the traffic flying by. I don't believe WA. has those problems.

Just playing devil's advocate. W/ that said, I still think it could work.
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Here's another area under I-380

Postby RollerCoaster » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:35 am

I think this area is around 16th ave. Is has no trespassing signs up. Lots of space underneath the interstate, but its so high up that it wouldnt provide much shelter from rain and snow.
RollerCoaster

Postby Cole82 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:36 am

I don't think they will let us use the 16th ave one because they use it for snow storage and equiepment storage.
The one on the north side of the 5 in 1 is empty more often and has parking right there as well.
This is also done with skate parks all the time. Dallas and philli are the two that come to mind. :D
I'm too busy to do anything....
Self description, tattoo'ed contractor.......
Cole82

Postby hojong » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:06 pm

If we could get the ball rolling on this... man o man, it would be quite a fun destination
hojong

Postby dfleck » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Not here, I Hope!
[img][img]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk254/ikerovets/crashed-semi-on-i380.jpg[/img][/img]
dfleck

380 northbound bridge over First Avenue

Postby RollerCoaster » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:34 pm

This semi cab crashed off the Interstate 380 northbound bridge over First Avenue W about 3 p.m. Police said the roads were slick from rain and sand. The driver lost control around the curve and rammed through the railing, and the cab fell 40 feet to the ground. http://crcrimeblog.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... lked-away/

The area in this picture has no gap between the north and south bound lanes. There's parking lots under it so it must be safe from falling vehicles, or is it? I'll keep looking for a place to ride in the winter.
RollerCoaster

Postby Cole82 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:24 pm

Roller coaster that is the pot I was refering to.

The spot Dave has pictured is there storage area.
I'm too busy to do anything....
Self description, tattoo'ed contractor.......
Cole82

Postby Jason Lewis » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:10 am

Guys, One thing to consider is that the land under the overpasses is owned by IDOT and not the city.
Jason Lewis

Postby Crank Addict » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:50 pm

We should contact the group in Seattle that made this possible. I'm sure they had to coordinate with the SDOT (Seattle DOT). Maybe we can lear what the best approach would be. Does anyone have a contact at IDOT?
Crank Addict

I almost gave up on this, crankaddict kept the dream alive

Postby RollerCoaster » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:45 pm

I almost gave up on the I-380 overpass idea because its friggin cold outside. I bet Seattle is nice right now. http://evergreenmtb.org/colonnade/
This picture is titled "Linda having a little fun on the roller coaster"
Looks like something I built, http://lambaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=429
I thought the roller ramps were steep at Beverly Park. Check this out:
The I-5 Colonnade is growing:
RollerCoaster

Postby Crank Addict » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Hmmm..... so, you're supposed to jump the rollers? Looks fun.
Crank Addict

How Seattle developed their Colonnade park

Postby RollerCoaster » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:48 pm

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/o ... rk250.html
The seeds of the Colonnade bike park were sown some 10 years ago when Simon Lawton, owner of Fluidride, a Seattle bike shop that offers instruction camps, approached the city of Seattle with the idea of an urban bike park. While the city was open to it, things moved slowly at first. The Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club was brought in to build it, and through grants, the sales of engraved rocks, and sponsorship deals with companies such as REI, Starbucks and Shimano, the club raised the needed $170,000. Ground was broken in October '05, and since then volunteers have donated more than 14,000 hours to make the park a reality.
Image[/quote]
RollerCoaster

Postby Barkleyfan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:43 am

All right, so do we have a plan? Rob? Ken? Rollercoaster? Diplomacy isn't my forte, so I'll leave negotiations to those more qualified. I'll stick to the hands-on stuff.
Barkleyfan

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Ho-Jong's on it...

There's an meeting of some kind that some of us could attend to voice our ideas and make steps towards bringing a proposal to the appropriate people. Ho-J, can ya help me out with dates / times when you know?

We should also get together prior to be on the same page.

------------------------------------------------------
Ho-Jong's email wrote:--- On Thu, 12/18/08, Ho-Jong Wong <hojong@gmail.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: public bike park in Cedar Rapids
Date: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 9:34 AM
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response! Of course, a park like this wouldn't have to be in that location under I-380. It was just one of the possibilities we saw scouting around town. I do know of Beverly Park and LAMBA; I ride there quite often and am there regularly to help maintain trails. However, this public mountain bike park would encompass different riding styles than what is currently available at Beverly. Do you have more information about the Community Kick-Off? I would like to attend and see what kinds of ideas are floating out there.

Thanks!

Ho-Jong
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Lindenlaub, Adam <A.Lindenlaub@cedar-rapids.org> wrote:
Mr. Wong,

Thank you for your question and interest in an off-road bike facility under I-380. The City of Cedar Rapids has two initiatives under way that could have an impact on the area you are talking about. The first is the Neighborhood Planning Process, which will result in action plans on how the downtown should revitalize after the flood. The second is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Cedar River Feasibility Study, which will analyze the City's plan for flood protection. The proposed plan is for a floodwall to run underneath I-380 in the area in question. I have copied the Parks & Rec department so they have your question.

There have been numerous ideas over the years on ways to utilize the area under I-380 or at least make it more aesthetically pleasing. Ideas such as yours are welcome and can be discussed during the Neighborhood Planning Process, which will be starting with a Community Kick-off on January 10 at the U.S. Cellular Center.

Also, in case you are not aware, there is a mountain bike course in Beverly Park that is sponsored by LAMBA (Linn Area Mountain Bike Association). Beverly Park is located off of 21st Street SW, which is off of 33rd Avenue SW from Edgewood Road SW.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have further questions.

Adam Lindenlaub
Long-Range Planning Coordinator
Corridor MPO
Cedar Rapids' Department of Community Development
3851 River Ridge Drive NE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
319-286-5064
a.lindenlaub@cedar-rapids.org
www.cedar-rapids.org
www.corridormpo.com

Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:22 AM
To: Lindenlaub, Adam
Subject: FW: public bike park in Cedar Rapids

Adam,

Something for you.

Drew E. Westberg
Long Range Planning Coordinator
Corridor Metropolitan Planning Organization
Department of Community Development
50 Second Ave. Bridge - 6th Floor
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
Phone: (319) 286-5067
E-mail: d.westberg@cedar-rapids.org
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:00 PM
To: Butterfield, Christine R.; Nepal, Sushil; Westberg, Drew E.
Subject: public bike park in Cedar Rapids

Hi, I was wondering if there could be an opportunity for a public-access mountain bike park in Cedar Rapids under I-380 near Exit 20A. (http://maps.google.com/maps?client=oper ... 5&t=h&z=17). A park at a location like this would allow for more riding than at an open-space park, as the freeway above would shield users from precipitation. Of course, this is just one of the many possible locations around the area that could support a bike park.

I recently visited a public park in Cedar Falls, IA that contained BMX-style dirt jumps that my friends and I thorougly enjoyed. While thinking and researching about the possibility of having a similar park here in Cedar Rapids, we found inspiration from reading about Seattle's under-a-freeway bike park. There, biking enthusiasts have implemented a wide range of trails and obstacles under Interstate 5. (for more info: http://evergreenmtb.org/colonnade/ ).

Like both of the projects I mentioned above, the park would be entirely built by volunteers. Features would be made to accomodate a wide range of riders, from novice to expert. Hopefully something like this would add even more recreational value to downtown Cedar Rapids and attract new riders to the sport we enjoy greatly. It would also add diversity to the types of recreational bicycle riding already in place here.

Earlier this week, I contacted Steven Bowman, the Federal & State Trail Program Manager in the Iowa Department of Transportation, and he said it would be possible to construct a public bike park of this sort in Cedar Rapids. However, he said that I would need to work with the local public agency and planning authority for development.

I would be glad to follow up with a formal proposal. Steven linked me to http://www.sysplan.dot.state.ia.us/feds ... trails.htm that contains application forms for program funding and I could use these as a template for a proposal.

Thanks!
Ho-Jong Wong
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Barkleyfan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:51 am

Cool. Let us know about getting together. I'd like to help however I can.
Barkleyfan

Postby hojong » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:04 pm

I found info for the community kickoff here:
http://www.cedar-rapids.org/flood/flood.asp

Date: Saturday, January 10, 2008

Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Place: Crowne Plaza Five Seasons Hotel, 350 First Avenue SE

Lunch will be provided so please register by calling 1-866-999-1224 or click here to register online . (Link to http://guest.cvent.com/EVENTS/Info/Summ ... 571c945e6b )
hojong

Postby Barkleyfan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:00 am

We gonna have a meeting beforehand to coordinate?
Barkleyfan

Postby NoyzSource » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Still laughing:

"Mr. Wong"

:lol:
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Return to Ideas / Wishlist