Indoor Riding - Winter '09

All ideas have merit here...

Indoor Riding - Winter '09

Postby Ken » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:32 am

Okay peops... Anticipating a winter that may or may not be anything close to the last one makes me really really want to work to be sure we have a place to ride indoors this year. I'm not talking fitness spin class type riding, but something more along the lines of the type of riding that helps keep the skills sharp.

Considering all the vacant buildings downtown, does anyone know of a property that could be leased for 4 months or so? I say the junkier the better, a flood damaged / gutted building with plenty of square footage would be perfect. It doesn't necessarily need to be downtown, heck, an empty machine shed with dirt floors would be more than perfect.

Anywho, let's hope this begins some convo that leads to something; someone out there has to know of and or have a connection to someone.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby MinigunSniper » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:06 pm

The building that immediately comes to my mind is the CR Library: tons of space, and with the cement floors we wouldn't have to worry about breaking anything. I have no idea if they would let us use it, though.
MinigunSniper

Put up a hoop building at Beverly

Postby RollerCoaster » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:05 pm

Lets buy a hoop building for Beverly Park. This link has a 30' x 100' for $5,800
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/pr ... 312FN.html

We can set pole barn style side walls. 8' high with steel siding. Then put the hoop building on that. Get a wood burning stove. Stadium lighting on the outside for the parking lot. The lights will also light up the hoop roof.
I'll open it at 5:pm to 11:pm Mon, Wed and Fri. And every other Sat 9:am to 11:pm. Then we can ride all year long.
We'll need some of these:
And one of these:
Two of these:
And some of this:
RollerCoaster

Postby SweetSVT99 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:52 am

Some of us are planning on heading down to Ray's Indoor either in January or February.

http://www.raysmtb.com/

Join us! (or build one and we'll just come to CR) :D
SweetSVT99

OMG RaysMTB.com has new photos!

Postby RollerCoaster » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:55 am

Ray's in his fifth season and it looks so amazing. I've got to get there yet this year.
RollerCoaster

Halloween warehouse

Postby futon » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 am

On 8th AVE SW right by the river, there is an old building that they have been using for years as a Haunted House. Right between 7th and 8th ave and H street. I don't know how big it is, I will go by this evening and see if anyone is around for info. IF it isn't still raining. bLAH!
futon

Haunted House

Postby dfleck » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:59 pm

Here it is. http://nightmaremanor-inc.com/page4.html
Ken,.. what have you started here?
dfleck

Brownfields and Land Revitalization

Postby RollerCoaster » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:30 pm

What ever happened with these three Brownfield sites? Are these buildings still unused or did they get revitalized?

http://epa.gov/brownfields/html-doc/rlf/cdrrapid.htm

The objective of Cedar Rapids' brownfields initiative is to encourage renewed investment and economic development opportunities in blighted neighborhoods. The Cedar Rapids BCRLF will provide gap financing for eligible cleanup projects, enhancing the City's inventory of incentives that lead to brownfield redevelopment. The BCRLF will be integral in cleaning up and redeveloping the following three brownfield sites located in the target neighborhood:

Iowa Steel Site — formerly a steel sales and fabrication business that has deteriorated due to lack of investment and use.

Iowa Iron Works Site — formerly a foundry that went bankrupt and become tax delinquent, now in a state of disrepair and subject to chronic vandalism.

Sinclair-Wilson Site — formerly a meat-packing facility that has seen developer interest, but no action has occurred. The site's assessed value has dropped from $4.3 million to $800,000.
RollerCoaster

Sinclair-Wilson Site demolished

Postby RollerCoaster » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:49 am

I found this website with info on the Sinclair-Wilson Site. Cedar Rapids owns this land but hasnt developed a park yet. Maybe we can ask for an indoor bike/skate park. We should include many biking sports. Mountain biking, BMX, velodrome and skateboarding.

http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=22303

There are some buildings being torn down rather slowly. The city wanted to build a water park on the lot but the state denied the funding and gave it to Dubuque for some riverfront project.

Update 09 March 2008 - The City has demolished most structures on the property and is planning to build a park there. They are not yet sure if they will demolish the iconic smoke stack that has been a part of the cities skyline since the city first got started.
RollerCoaster

Postby Jason Lewis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:40 pm

The entire building was flooded according to my patient. There were until the flood still businesses operating in the complex. More than likely there will be no flood cleanup since the buildings were scheduled to be torn down any way.
Jason Lewis

Re: Halloween warehouse

Postby crrimson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:18 pm

futon wrote:On 8th AVE SW right by the river, there is an old building that they have been using for years as a Haunted House. Right between 7th and 8th ave and H street. I don't know how big it is, I will go by this evening and see if anyone is around for info. IF it isn't still raining. bLAH!

My uncle actually owns this building, I will ask my dad what Tom does with it when it's not rented for the Haunted House. I know for a fact that he runs a scrapyard, not sure if he stores scrap there. I also don't think it's the largest place.

RollerCoaster wrote:I found this website with info on the Sinclair-Wilson Site. Cedar Rapids owns this land but hasnt developed a park yet. Maybe we can ask for an indoor bike/skate park. We should include many biking sports. Mountain biking, BMX, velodrome and skateboarding.

Sinclair/Wilsons is.... a dump. :) Although it has a fond place in my heart because I used to explore there and take photos before the city started tearing it down. All the buildings there are pretty much demolished, and the ones that were decent had businesses operating in them.

Here are a few photos I took of Wilsons back when I was more adventurous:
http://crrimson.deviantart.com/art/Brok ... ws-2030769

http://crrimson.deviantart.com/art/Plea ... rs-1458275

http://crrimson.deviantart.com/art/Shin ... se-1348842

I love the idea though Ken, I don't know what I'm going to do this winter without riding I'll probably go crazy. I lost 15 pounds this summer from riding that I had packed on over that long winter. I always wanted to just rent a building to build a half-pipe and skate that during the winter, but with a whole crew like Lamba, we could probably find a place!
crrimson

Postby Farmboy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:53 pm

Winter makes any ride adventurous. After a good snow / ice storm, hit the streets with a set (or just one on the front works pretty good) of these. It's a good time. Finish the ride with a bowl of soup and a pint of stout. Thinking about it kinda gets me stoked for snow.
Farmboy

Snow riders

Postby RollerCoaster » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:56 am

This could be us this winter:
We'll need one of these:
Or for less money, one of these:
But seriously, we could build an ice track and put studded tires on.
RollerCoaster

Postby crrimson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Well I talked to my dad, he said the Haunted House keeps everything set up in that building year long, so that's out. But there are a lot of buildings downtown and surrounding that might work, so lets keep looking!
crrimson

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:30 am

Perhaps a reconnaissance mission through the flood affected areas via bike? Every time I drive through the Time Check area, especially across from Quaker Oats, I see many unused buildings. Approach property owners, it can't hurt to ask. Still, I think the best case / most realistic scenario is to find someone with connection to a property. Heck, a decent sized garage would work, really. Bigger isn't always better, whatever works I say...

out
Ken
Site Admin

Postby crrimson » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:24 am

I'd be up for a ride around the area, we could stop at benz and see what good beers they have while we were at it :)
crrimson

Postby MinigunSniper » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:27 am

I'd be interested in joining you.
MinigunSniper

Indoor riding

Postby dfleck » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:20 am

Do any of you guys ever sleep? :shock:

How about those people who don't need sleep, what are they called again? Successful? Jim Gaffigan.
dfleck

Postby Ken » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 pm

Cool beans, let's set up a recon ride...

Here are areas I've scoped only briefly, from my home computer :roll:

Time Check

Czech Village

River Bend

Still, I think the best opportunity will be a privately owned machine shed or something similar.

I'm going to bed :lol:
Ken
Site Admin

Czech Village

Postby RollerCoaster » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:29 am

I was riding around this area on Sunday. The roundhouse looks promising, but too small. The skate park needs some additional BMX jumps. The area under the bridge already has piles of dirt. I saw a thrift store that was empty and a machine shed that is big enough to ride in.
RollerCoaster

Next

Return to Ideas / Wishlist