New LAMBA Logo design contest

All ideas have merit here...

Re: New LAMBA Logo design contest

Postby crrimson » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:06 am

benfiedler wrote:I gave the link to the student that designed it. She will look at what you said and try to go from there. Do you have any other modifications that you think would look better?

I think those are good, I agree that the LAMBA font could use a transparent background instead of the white overlaying the tread, although I could see it making the letters less readable.
crrimson

Postby Garasaki » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:03 pm

DL1030 wrote:I like the HS logo better than what we have but it is not saving any clutter. What we lose in teeth, we gain in tread.

I agree...however the "HS Logo" has a nice clean border, which will look very nice as a sticker (as opposed to the designs with sprocket teeth around the edge which do not turn into a sticker very well).

I feel the "HS Logo" is a really fine starting point, and personally think that it could use some "addition by subtraction"

I think a person could reduce the "clutter" in that logo - perhaps by eliminating the "cedar rapids iowa" bit. Isn't our location implied by "Linn Area"? Perhaps the Cedar Rapids Iowa part is not actually adding anything in the first place.

There are several directions (circle, horizontal text, diagonal tread) happening in the design. I love the tread disappearing into the distance - maybe the LAMBA text could follow the same path?

Althernatively, the LAMBA could be moved to outside the circle (at the bottom maybe). I think the idea of a logo that is just singletrack disappearing into the distance (with no end in sight) is sort of romantically appropriate for what we are passionate about :wink:

Another nice thing about this design is that the circular portion could be turned into horizontal text to be used as a banner to complement the logo in places where a circular shape (or square aspect ratio) is not appropriate. (I'd see that as the formerly circular text at the bottom, the tread on the left, then the word LAMBA horizontal on the right).
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:33 am

Excellent feedback, thanks! Here's a redux of the HS logo...

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Jaxon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Latest ones look good. The only other thing I'd experiment with is the perimeter text. It's not clear where you start reading with the diamonds between every word. On the presidential seal, you start reading at lower left and there's a gap with symbols on both ends.

Jaxon

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:55 pm

My friend is still working on his. Requesting date extension. Basically because he's a pro doing it for free.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:59 pm

mem wrote:*Remember, this is a PUBLIC forum. Potential donors, new members, and local businesses see this and it represents the club.

Some folks like to act sophisticated, yet just about everyone I've ever met laughs at a good fart joke. I bet if we put a section on this forum just for fart jokes, it would generate a lot of traffic.
Farmboy

Postby DL1030 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:18 pm

I still laugh when I hear the word duty, or ask where they are going to take it when someone has to "take a pi$$".

i am 12
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby Angy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Farmboy wrote:Some folks like to act sophisticated, yet just about everyone I've ever met laughs at a good fart joke. I bet if we put a section on this forum just for fart jokes, it would generate a lot of traffic.

We have a new book in our elementary library called The Fart Fairy . It even comes with a cd that includes the fart fairy song, yeah our school's cool like that!
HBA racing team pics seen here...
http://www.angysnoop.com/ (8/1/09-current)
http://picasaweb.google.com/KASKSnoop (2/18/08-7/19/09)
Angy

Postby NoyzSource » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:18 pm

Off topic - please move that discussion elsewhere.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby NoyzSource » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:34 pm

I like the designs but feel they may still be too busy. Imagine that you have to cut the design out of a black sheet of paper with only an exacto knife.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby urbanbigfoot » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:38 am

NoyzSource wrote:I like the designs but feel they may still be too busy. Imagine that you have to cut the design out of a black sheet of paper with only an exacto knife.

Am I missing something here? Why would you have to cut the design out of a black sheet of paper w/ an exacto knife? Seems to me that these designs would work fine being printed on a white or transparent background (think window and bumper stickers). I've designed many a logo, and the main issues that usually need addressing deal w/ color (too many colors = expensive to screen print) and clarity of the design (think tiny writing on a tiny sticker...not cool). Maybe it would be easier to design the logo if we were all aware of how it's intended to be used. For instance, what are you doing that requires it to be hand cut from a black sheet of paper w/ an exacto knife?
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby urbanbigfoot » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:33 am

OK...here is something I put together quick, just because I opened my big mouth. It's rough, and I would probably change the rotation of the text, but hey, I just threw it together for another, simpler version.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby crrimson » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:42 pm

No offense but the very first thing that I saw when I looked at that logo was:
crrimson

Postby urbanbigfoot » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Obviously, you've seen how I ride...I'm one step from pulling out my training wheels.
urbanbigfoot

Postby NoyzSource » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:27 pm

What size are the wheels on those things? 26 or 29?
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:33 pm

NoyzSource wrote:Off topic - please move that discussion elsewhere.

Sorry.

I ate easter dinner at Bier Stube in Le Claire today. Got Willi's Gut Bomb with a side of red cabbage and two Roller Dam Red's. This is me:

But I agree that so far there's nothing any better in terms of making the logo easier for printers and such to work with.
Farmboy

Postby xboat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:40 pm

xboat

Postby Ken » Wed May 11, 2011 10:49 am

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:11 am

It's happening, finally...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1761