New map

All ideas have merit here...

New map

Postby DL1030 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 am

Collaborative effort over the last couple weeks landed us with a new map. Check it out! pretty cool!

http://lambaonline.org/LAMBAmap.html

If you want to see something added post-up.

festivals, group ride recaps (river runs, road rides), all is fair game. even paved bike lanes in the city could be added to help find a good road ride. If you find/have gps trail data pass it along as well and we can have it added. Sunder and Bev are the only mapped trail systems at this point, hope to see more in the future.
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Re: New map

Postby musthavemuzk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:22 am

way cool.
as you know i am the newbie here.

so for me any and all help is appreciated.
i stumbled upon sac and fox trail this past sunday. i had been out one other time, but failed to find it.
so mayb adding that would be good to do?

on sundays ride i rode Otis rd from just outside of czech village to highway 13. saw many a bike on that road. i felt comfy on it as i didnt see much traffic. it was also enough of a flat/hill ride that i definitely felt it monday morning.

how about some other roads that are like that. paved yet out of the way and dont have much traffic...yet are not far from town.

i think i have also mentioned my gf and i are interested in geocaching. with that i have kinda looked at gps units. but nothing serious yet. i dont plan on going entry level that is for sure. i saw a thread on qcforc about a guy and his garmin bike gps...i like that idea, but not sure if it will fit my needs. so will see. if/when i get one i will surely pass along the ride info i score.

i know alot of this will come as i live here longer, but in the meantime all help is appreciated.
i want to get out and about on bike more now that weather has warmed up as well as i have been getting my gf out on her bike too. however she is just starting so she is unable to ride as far as i can yet. give her time and she will.

i am kinda interested in using public trans or mayb just side roads to get places too on my bike. but havent looked into that quite yet.
i have no doubt some roads are not advised to ride on. but i dont know those details yet

Monty
musthavemuzk

Postby Blundar » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:00 pm

This is an awesome map. I am brand new to the area. I have used this map to find Beverly Park and Thomas Park. This gives me a "Where is this place" and a simple lay-out of the trails. I have printed these out and I carry them with me. Unfortunately, you do not have the Squaw Creek trails on this map.

Please, please, pleaseeeee add the Squaw Creek trails to this map!

Did I say please enough times? =)
Blundar

Postby DL1030 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:48 am

Thought this map was pulled when we switched to mtbiowa.... :oops:
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby Ken » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:09 pm

mtbIowa is forum aggregation
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Blundar » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Has anyone ridden the Sack & Fox Trail? This one looks more like a beginner's nature walk, but mountain bikes are welcome. At least it would be worth it for a nice family ride.
Blundar

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Portions are closed right now due to a multi-municipality sewer line upgrade project. But yeah, it is a relatively flat and wide lime gravel path. What I think is going to be cool is that they are looking to get the trail up and out of the flood basin so the trail isn't damaged every time the water gets high, also to reduce the environmental impact of washing tons of lime into the stream / river. What is doubly cool is that LAMBA is working on a project to install singeltrack alongside the trail for the user who likes narrow dirt. Stay tuned...

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Blundar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Outstanding! I was thinking of hitting it for a few miles of easy riding. I am always looking for easy trail rides like this one. This would be perfect for introducing mountain biking to complete novices that have never done single track before. For someone brand new, single track can be a bit intimidating at first.

I am glad that LAMBA is looking at this one too. More trails of all different kinds is aways a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I really like single tracks specifically made for mountain bikeing. But I also like long fast trails where you can pick up some really good speed for miles and miles and enjoy the nice scenery at the same time too. In the Northeast (CT, RI, MA, NH, Eastern NY) where I came from, we had a really good mix of these too. I don't mind sharing a wide fast path with joggers and general walking traffic.
Blundar

Postby Ken » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 pm

100% on your wavelength here... According to the International Mountain Bike Association, gateway trails are those that "position standout facilities in places where lots of people can experience the joy of mountain biking (IMBA, 2012)."

Many folks' first experience in the narrow dirt occurred because of a path they noticed, and took. We hope to have trails like this parallel to the Sac & Fox in the not-so-distant future.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Blundar » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Even without the singletrack Sac & Fox Trail seems to be well worth the ride. It looks like a really nice 8 mile non-paved run from end to end. Most of it seems to be running along side the scenic river. I will probably not do the whole 16 mile run to the far end and back to the parking lot in my first try.
Blundar

Postby crrimson » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:58 pm

Sac & Fox is a pretty trail. I used to ride this a lot before the flood wiped big sections of it out. Not being able to ride this & other trails like it got me into mountain biking in 2008.
crrimson

Postby Blundar » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:19 am

That was a really nice ride. It looks like it used to be around 12+ miles long. There is some construction on the northern section so there is a street bypass for that. The posted map at the trail say it is now 7 miles long and that there is an addition to this. They extended the lower end section this year all the way to the fishery. So I would estimate that it is now around 8 to 9 miles long.

The Indian Creek Nature Center had the Honey Festival that day so that was also a cool thing to check out.
Blundar

Postby NoyzSource » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:40 pm

From what I heard it doesn't quite go to the fishery. They haven't installed the gate at the back entrance yet. The city is working to get a culvert fixed or replaced or installed at the railroad tracks before they do any more. Then they need to pave a little trail from the back gate up the fishery loop. They have some concerns about parking since the fishery parking area is routinely full. I'm not sure on the time frame for completion.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Blundar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:47 pm

I rode up to a section where there is a dam and a bunch of people fishing. After that I saw a section where it is being cleared out by dozers leading to the fishery. It was very sandy so I did not ride all the way to the other end of that. It will probably be a few more months before it is completed.
Blundar

Postby Blundar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:00 am

Can someone please add signs to Squaw Creek trails? That along with a marked up map would be outstanding. Squaw Creek can be as popular as Beverly if it had these two things. Pweeeezeee! :pray:
Blundar

Return to Ideas / Wishlist