WANTED: 29" Studded MTB Tire

Selling a bike or looking to buy another, or parts? Find or lose something? Post here...

WANTED: 29" Studded MTB Tire

Postby urbanbigfoot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:57 am

Any one have a 29" studded tire they'd like to part with? Or perhaps know where I can get one locally? Northtowne does not have one in stock, and honestly, I don't really want to shell out the money for a new one.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Re: WANTED: 29" Studded MTB Tire

Postby Jaxon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 pm

There were some studded tires on the floor at Healthy Habits in Bettendorf when I was there a few weeks ago. Can't remember the diameter, width, model or price though.

http://healthyhabitsqc.com/articles/sto ... n-pg46.htm
Jaxon

Postby Farmboy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:55 pm

I have a 700x35 studded CX tire that will more than likely fit on your rim. It'll look skinny and wierd (like me), but it will work.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby iLuvTechnical » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:23 pm

I could make you a pair that you can make as good as new each year just by replacing worn tips w/ new ones :dance:
It only took my 20min. to replace last year's worn screws with new one's this year :clap:
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby urbanbigfoot » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks for the offer ILT, but I don't have any old 29". I did find a pretty good deal on some studded tires though. They're Nokian Gazza Extreme Studded Tires. I was able to get two for the price of one Schwalbe studded tire.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby ChuckWookie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Mr Technical, that looks pretty cool. what kind of screws did you use and how many? I have some hutchinson mosquitos (avoid at all costs) that came stock on my bike, i could try to use, but the knobs are pretty small - that's what she said - so the screws might do more harm than good. what was your process for making them? what did you line the tire with (between tube and tire) - duct tape? thanks
ChuckWookie

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:39 am

ChuckWookie wrote:Mr Technical, that looks pretty cool. what kind of screws did you use and how many? ... what was your process for making them? what did you line the tire with (between tube and tire) - duct tape? thanks

ChuckWookie, here is an old post that may answer some of your questions.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1447

Pointers:
Cheap tires work fine b/c if you plan out where you want the screws and depending on the type of surface you end up riding on, then the screws will be giving you the majority of the traction anyway.

The wider the tire you can fit in your frame and fork, the better for "floating" on top of the snow as possible.

You need more traction on the outsides of the front tire and more toward the center of the rear.

A drill is easier and faster than a punch.

The 3/8" screws are the perfect length in my opinion.

The HEX head allows you to fit a bit receiver bit over the end of the screw w/out worrying about lining up phillips or flathead screwdrivers and creating "burs".

This guy does a decent job describing one way of doing it (w/ the exception of what I said above. I disagree w/ a couple things he says...eg. length of screws, type of screw, etc...)
http://youtu.be/GI-fR2tXR_8
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Return to Buy & Sell / Lost & Found