Decorah TT

Anything related to racing your bicycle, especially in the dirt...

Decorah TT

Postby greenfast » Tue May 01, 2012 9:24 am

This past weekend we traveled up to do the 22nd running of the Decorah TT, which I would consider being one of the hardest races on the calendar for the year. What makes it so tough you ask? Well to start off it is a race against the clock, so while on course you have no real clue as to how you are doing unless you are passing the people that started at least one minute in front of you, or people that started behind you passing you, also the fact that you start at the base of the hill and make your way to the top which is almost 300 feet higher in elevation at the peak. But unlike what most would think you don't just get to go straight up, that would be too easy, no you have to switchback up part of the hill, then for fun lets go back down part of the way then climb again, rinse and repeat.

So onto my race I started out towards the front as we were on a tighter schedule this year having to be back by 5, so I was 5th into the woods, following up guys like Trevor Rockwell and Brian Furhman and Ben Shockey, so the likelyness of me catching/seeing them at any point was slim. Headed up the road towards the woods, started climbing and could tell right away I would be deep in the pain cave the entire way, go to the top of the frontside of the bluff about 1.5 miles into the race and was feeling like crap, at the 3 mile mark I was ready to quit, then I got caught by a guy on a singlespeed from behind me somewhere and he was moving, so I tried matching his speed but he was just too strong for that to happen, watched him ride away from me. Got to the backside and started up the long service road climb, 1/2 mile in length and has quite a good elevation change. At this point I know I just had to top this climb then for the most it is downhill and flat to the finish. Get back to the frontside and down to the trail that runs next to the river and other then the one rocky climb it is all out flat and fast, get to the last corner onto the finishing straight and just hammer it, come across the line with no clue how I did and head back to get warm.

Get to T Bocks for awards and they post results, ended up 20th overall and 2nd Male 34-35 which netted me another plaque to hang on my wall. Didn't expect to do anywhere near the top 20 with the competition that was there, had guys like Brian Eppen, Kevin McConnell, and of course all the locals and Minnesota/Wisconsin guys.

It is a great trail system and a great race, so if you have ever thought about racing and want to have a good time on some technical trails give this one a try some year.
greenfast

Re: Decorah TT

Postby Ken » Tue May 01, 2012 10:19 am

Nice work! No doubt a TOUGH course with SERIOUS competition... Good writeup, did Ang take pix?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Tue May 01, 2012 11:33 am

I've registered for the race twice, and backed out twice. I love those trails and that town though. Makes me grin everytime I think about it. Great job on the 20th place. The picture of the PB Cheeseburger on FB was awesome.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby greenfast » Tue May 01, 2012 10:01 pm

Ken wrote:Nice work! No doubt a TOUGH course with SERIOUS competition... Good writeup, did Ang take pix?

Pictures were taken although with family in town for the next week not sure when they will be posted.

Farmboy wrote:I've registered for the race twice, and backed out twice. I love those trails and that town though. Makes me grin everytime I think about it. Great job on the 20th place. The picture of the PB Cheeseburger on FB was awesome.

You should follow through sometime, if for nothing else a good a$$ kicking and some good food and beer afterwards. I have been very hesitant to try the PB Cheeseburger, but this year I was going for it, so now every year post race meal will be that and a Snakebite to drink.
greenfast

Postby cyclones32 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Well done I'd say! Believe it or not, that was the 1st race I EVER entered. Had a friend with a "nice" Fuel Ex-7 and I figured my "ok" Trek 4400 could make a try at it back in high school. :lol: I'd never ridden the place before, drove up early that morning and they'd had about 1.5" of rain the night before. They still held it so we figured let's do it.

Let's just say that I had the 2nd crappiest bike of what I could see there, that thing weighed (and still does) a ton. After piling up about 20lbs of mud on it by the end it was horrible. I felt like a drunk mtn goat on some of those sidehill trails, except on ice :o I somehow survived w/ only 2 crashes (one involving a slick bridge and the bike ending up on me in the water) and finished 3rd or 4th in my age group. I was happy and felt good to finish but that was an eye opener.
cyclones32

Postby Rage » Tue May 01, 2012 10:21 pm

greenfast wrote:.. ended up 20th overall and 2nd Male 34-35 which netted me another plaque to hang on my wall. Didn't expect to do anywhere near the top 20 with the competition that was there, had guys like Brian Eppen, Kevin McConnell, and of course all the locals and Minnesota/Wisconsin guys...

Well played, Keith!

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby Farmboy » Wed May 02, 2012 9:48 am

greenfast wrote:You should follow through sometime, if for nothing else a good a$$ kicking and some good food and beer afterwards. I have been very hesitant to try the PB Cheeseburger, but this year I was going for it, so now every year post race meal will be that and a Snakebite to drink.

Next year perhaps. Done with school for a while, so hope to have more riding time. Perhaps get into good enough shape for something like that to be fun. Doubt I'll ever "train" again, but hope to ride a whole lot.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Ken » Thu May 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Ken
Site Admin

Return to Racing