Bike access at Sqauw Creek

1 mile of singletrack, 3 more in the works...

Bike access at Sqauw Creek

Postby Maxcycles » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:09 am

I realize there are mountain bike specific trails in squaw creek, however there are also many other connecting trails that seem to be multi-use. I read the rules and regulations for the park and did not find anything regarding bikes. I've also read the horse trail thread, which lead me to believe that most trails allow bikes. Are there any trails at the park that we can not ride? Having ridden and hiked around the park, I haven't seen any "no bikes" signs either, but I haven't seen everything. Just want to know, as I want to protect bike access in the park and not venture anywhere I'm not suppose to be. Obviously, riding responsibly goes a long way. Thanks.
Maxcycles

Re: Bike access at Sqauw Creek

Postby Farmboy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:51 pm

In theory bikes are allowed anywhere. However, we don't want to assert our right to be there so early in our relationship with the county. So on those steep fall line downhills, slow down. I try to be almost annoyingly courteous. That's just my opinion.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Maxcycles » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:13 pm

Farmboy wrote:In theory bikes are allowed anywhere. However, we don't want to assert our right to be there so early in our relationship with the county. So on those steep fall line downhills, slow down. I try to be almost annoyingly courteous. That's just my opinion.

Thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I figured. I want nothing more than to remain in good standing with the county and the other trail users. Riding slow is no problem.
Maxcycles

Postby Garasaki » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 am

Also consider how you interact with horses - they can be easily spooked. So don't startle them.

I try to stop, move off the trail, dismount, and let them pass when I see them coming at me.

I'm not sure what the proper ettique for passing a horse going the same direction is. I suspect it's not an ideal situation.
Garasaki

Postby pablo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Use extreme caution and have patience when approaching horses from behind. It's a tough situation to be in because you have to let them know you're there without spooking the horses and you need to follow a ways behind until they can comfortably position the horses for being passed. I try to avoid the situation all together or just tell them that I'm not gonna pass and enjoy the slow pace. Never know what will set a horse off.
pablo

Return to Squaw Creek