Group rides at Sqauw Creek

1 mile of singletrack, 3 more in the works...

Group rides at Sqauw Creek

Postby Maxcycles » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:12 pm

I moved to the area back in December and live within riding distance of Squaw Creek. I've never actually ridden the MTB singletrack out there, but rode my CX bike over to the park yesterday just to check it out. The trails were pretty soft, so I stayed off the singletrack but would like to get a group ride going out there once the conditions improve. Could also throw Thomas Park into the mix if time permitted. Just wanted to put out some feelers so we're ready once the trails are OK to ride!

Let me know if you're interested..
Maxcycles

Re: Group rides at Sqauw Creek

Postby iLuvTechnical » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Always interested in group rides @ Thomas and Squaw!
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby Maxcycles » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:23 pm

iLuvTechnical wrote:Always interested in group rides @ Thomas and Squaw!

Great, lets try to get something together after things hopefully dry out throughout the week. I'll probably be riding over to Squaw after work this week a couple times just to check on the conditions. If anyone has interest in riding to the park with me, there's plenty of parking near my place and it's not far. Granted, I expect most people will probably just meet at the park and ride the trails once it's dry enough to do so. Again, just throwing out some ideas depending on what people like to do.

-Max
Maxcycles

Postby Garasaki » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:41 am

It's going to be a while before everything dries out, I think.

Might be cool to start a designated (informal) ride night at Squaw, similar to wens nights at beverly.

Like monday nights or something.
Garasaki

Postby Maxcycles » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Garasaki wrote:It's going to be a while before everything dries out, I think.

Might be cool to start a designated (informal) ride night at Squaw, similar to wens nights at beverly.

Like monday nights or something.

Agreed. Any week night is as good as another for me at this point. Monday would work. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Looks pretty good for the next few days at least. Hoping for dry trails soon!
Maxcycles

Postby Farmboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:19 pm

There's no way they'll be rideable for at least a couple of weeks. I'll post up here and remove the barriers at the trailheads as soon as they're good to go. On Sunday even before it snowed again, there was 2-3" on the ground in the woods.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Maxcycles: I'm in marion as well, about a mile north of HyVee off 35th. I usually ride 31st st to the trailhead. I'm the ugly bastard on the white pugsley or in the summer a blue Salsa El Mariachi. Also cruise the streets on a black crosscheck. Holler if you see me.
Farmboy

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Too bad so much of the recent precipitation washed away, dirt is still very dry just a little ways down; hard to say how it will play out... http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ncrfc/content/s ... B&depth=40

Looking forward to group rides that is for sure!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Maxcycles » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:30 am

Farmboy wrote:Maxcycles: I'm in marion as well, about a mile north of HyVee off 35th. I usually ride 31st st to the trailhead. I'm the ugly bastard on the white pugsley or in the summer a blue Salsa El Mariachi. Also cruise the streets on a black crosscheck. Holler if you see me.

Cool, hope we can meet up and ride at some point soon. I'm actually in Cedar Rapids, a few miles from squaw creek. I usually ride lakeside over and enter the park via 31st street. Like I said, never ridden the single track there, just the access road around the park. Looking forward to getting some trail time. I'm usually on a black cross bike but sometimes ride a grey karate monkey.
Maxcycles

Postby crrimson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm anxious to ride Squaw again this year too. Post up when the conditions out there are rideable, I usually ride a brown horse with white spots.
crrimson

Postby urbanbigfoot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:10 am

crrimson wrote:...I usually ride a brown horse with white spots.

That just made my day.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Re: Group rides at Squaw Creek

Postby Blundar » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:08 pm

I also live in Marion. I would love to do some group rides too. I ride a white Airborne Zeppelin. I just recently sold my second bike (gold rigid Raleigh hybrid).

Last time that I was at Squaw Creek was around a month ago (May) and all the singletrack trails were closed. I ended up riding around the fire access road loop a few times to get some cardio done. What is the status now? I don't see a status sign for Squaw Creek anywhere on this website. Does that mean that it is still closed?

Last weekend, I looked at the trail status of Beverly Park and saw that some sections are closed, and that the trail conditions were fair. The trail status there this week looks the same again...

The Thomas Park singletrack is just too short and too steep for me almost 50% of the way up. The ride back down is not a problem, it just is not my favorite place for singletrack. I rode the walking path a few times from end to end, but that is just not as much fun.

So... Last week I decided to head down to Sugarbottom. The website status showed that the trails were open and in good condition. :dance: When I got there, the Western main access road had folks on canoes floating across it (impassable). I found my way around to the Eastern side of the main access road and that was open with signs saying that the trails were open. Only the Northwestern trails were closed (trails 101), but all of the other trails were all open and in good condition. I rode all the 201 and 301 trails. I rode those same trails again this weekend.

Soggy conditions everywhere... I hope things improve soon. :pray: Let me know if anyone is doing group rides...
Blundar

Postby Maxcycles » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:09 pm

I'm planning on riding squaw creek this afternoon. I'll be on a cyclocross bike. Not sure what the conditions are out there but if there's any moveable debri I will do what I can. If any wants to join - Ill be there in an hour or so.
Maxcycles

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:35 pm

The conditions are great. A couple down trees that need to be removed but no big deal.
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby Maxcycles » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:21 am

Going out to squaw again this early afternoon as I'm off work. I've removed some of the smaller debri that was blocking the trail in a few places, but will try to do more today. Been riding out there just about everyday after/before work. Great loop!
Maxcycles

Postby Blundar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:42 am

Maxcycles wrote:Going out to squaw again this early afternoon as I'm off work. I've removed some of the smaller debri that was blocking the trail in a few places, but will try to do more today. Been riding out there just about everyday after/before work. Great loop!

I wish that there was a "green, yellow, red" flag status marker for Squaw Creek on this website, just like the ones used for Beverly and Sugarbottom. I'll have to see if I can make it to Squaw after work today. :pray:
Blundar

Postby Farmboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 am

This is in the works. For the time being, you can assume that if Beverly is open, Squaw is open. The soils and trail construction are very similar in terms of their ability to shed or absorb water.

Noyz / Urban / ccrimson: Any progress here?
Farmboy

Postby Maxcycles » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Anyone up for a few laps around squaw creek this afternoon? Heading out there in a little while. Figured I'd post up even with it being a bit last minute.
Maxcycles

Postby Blundar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Farmboy wrote:This is in the works. For the time being, you can assume that if Beverly is open, Squaw is open. The soils and trail construction are very similar in terms of their ability to shed or absorb water.

It is really good to see the new flag for Squaw. The "Closed for Hunting" flag is a big help too. I know that sometimes it takes a while to open Squaw back up because of down trees over the winter.

Thanks! Keep up the awesome work...
Blundar

Return to Squaw Creek