Horse? Mult-Use? Trail

1 mile of singletrack, 3 more in the works...

Horse? Mult-Use? Trail

Postby OnlyInAJeep » Tue May 29, 2012 5:29 pm

The wide trail around the MTB single track, shown in map below in light-greenish is open to bikes?

OnlyInAJeep

Re: Horse? Mult-Use? Trail

Postby futon » Wed May 30, 2012 12:54 pm

I believe so, because we all rode it to get to the beginning of the trail on the upper side, and I also rode it when I didn't know where the new mountain bike trail was. Toward the bottom the trail is very sandy, I was able to ride most of it. The trail in that area is also surrounded by stinging nettles. So my knees and shins were burning after riding it. It is also multi-use so I slowed down when approaching dog walkers.
futon

Postby Farmboy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:56 pm

It is open to bikes, but please, please, please control speed when tempted to bomb down the hills. This was a major concern of land managers. Thus, it would be wise to make sure to not do so.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby pablo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:06 pm

About this so-called "multi-use" trail... on Sunday, I rode from home and wanted to take in all that was Squaw Creek, so I came in the main entrance, looped around to the dog exercise area and up the hill to the parking lot that almost touches 31st (Waypoint 2 on Ken's map at viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1896). From there, the stretch down to the light-greenish wide trail shown above was a hoot (as long as there wasn't other traffic) followed by a mean uphill.

As I made my way to the singletrack trailhead from there I approached 3 on horseback. I made my presence known and held back until they were ready for me to pass. All along the way, the last rider (seemed like the leader) was grumbling that I shouldn't be on there and it was for horsebackers only. I struck up a conversation and reminded her that it was a multi-use trail and that I would yield to their right-of-way and respect the fact that they were on much more delicate and quirky riding instruments.

The other two riders didn't seem to mind, but the attitude of the 3rd was a bit concerning. When they gave the all-clear, I calmly rode through only to be shot another remark that I should "hurry-on now" and not cross their paths again. I held up my level of respect to show that we come in peace, but oooooh-we, whaddup wit dat?? Anyone else had good/bad interactions with horseback riders? We have to share a little bit to get to the singletrack and I just want everyone to get along. I certainly didn't mind going at their pace, but I could've done without the snark.

Sorry, just had to vent... it's been on my mind.

Anyway, awesome ride. I'm looking forward to the next working day. I need to pay my dues. I played with MotionX on my phone a little and came up with this... http://gps.motionx.com/maps/bd3d4541708 ... fc2ece250e. It falls in line with exactly what OnlyInAJeep pasted above except that it goes along the main road at first and you now know how to get to my house.
pablo

Postby Farmboy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:12 pm

I haven't seen much direct confrontation around here. Mostly passive-aggressive stuff. Once in IL though, I saw things get heated from time to time.

Thanks for taking the high-road and please continue to do so. They've pretty much had the park to themselves for decades, so I can empathize with their feelings with the "new guys moving in". Not saying they're right, just saying that I understand.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby OleHawk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:38 pm

I've run across horse riders many times riding at Squaw. I've always pulled off to the side to give them plenty of room so the horses don't get spooked. I've never had any encounter other than very friendly people who offer a "Hi" and "Thank You". I always pass dog walkers very slowly and give a friendly "Hi". Most people are more then willing to share the trail with bikers from what I've seen.
OleHawk

Postby OnlyInAJeep » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:54 am

My experience meeting horseback riders mirrors OleHawk's. I pulled well off side of trial and wait for them to pass, always been friendly. Even off the trail and non moving, the horses still were a bit skittish going past. I see them a bit during weekdays, I thinks Kirkwood has some kinda class there.
OnlyInAJeep

Return to Squaw Creek