Complete the "loop"

1 mile of singletrack, 3 more in the works...

Complete the "loop"

Postby iLuvTechnical » Mon May 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Show of hands...

Who would like to see the "loop" actually get connected and completed?

ME :handgestures-thumbupright:

Chief Squaw Creek is pretty busy for the next few wkends and doesn't have the time to put together an "official" workday. He was hoping that people that would really like to see the two trail ends come together and complete "the loop", would gather in a large group to work as a team with Mcleods in hand to work the area in red.

I am not committing my time unless others are willing to lend a hand, so who is available to do some work this Sat.?
*Sat. May 19th
*10am-? (whenever you feel spent or have time for)

Head count...who's in :banana-guitar: ?

Squaw map of needs done.jpg
Squaw map of needs done.jpg (164.89 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Re: Complete the "loop"

Postby Ken » Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 pm

I'm in and will be bringing along a few workers, and some organizational assistance as in food stuffs... lets do this.

Rogue hoes and mcleods unite!

Okay, that was nerdy; trail nerdy :geek:

*edit: Just got word that there will be a large blue cooler on site, sweet.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby iLuvTechnical » Tue May 15, 2012 5:10 pm

Food? Blue cooler?

Okay, this just got "official" :happy-partydance:

We could really use a large turnout to get this RIDEABLE.
A lot of time, sweat, energy and even blood was put into getting the entire section in RED mowed at least two mower-widths (about 6-8 feet) to make it easy to move around and lay some single-track tread. The point is; we should take advantage of people's efforts and get to the dirt b4 it grows back :pray:

So, I ask you again; who's in?
iLuvTechnical

Postby Farmboy » Tue May 15, 2012 10:04 pm

I got emails from two of the guys that have been out there the last two times. Hell, the BLUE COOLER ought to be enough to get a few people out there. Considering the source of said cooler, I would'nt mind missing my family stuff I have going on.

Please folks. If you can give a few hours, please do.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Garasaki » Wed May 16, 2012 10:44 am

I found out I have a preplanned family function that will keep me away.

Feel free to post up your progress upon completion and any outstanding items - I could do some solo work sunday if needed.
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 am

With Rogue Hoes being demonstrated on-site, we should only need 3 people to build a couple miles of trail in probably 1 hour or less.

Just kidding.

But seriously, Rogue Hoes will be there for demonstration and use, in addition to mcleods (preferred trailbuilding tool)... if we can get 10+ we will get this trail done.

There will be food, there will be drink, there will be camaraderie; lives will be changed, so will the Earth... Show up!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed May 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Here's another idear that would help make this happen...

Between now and Saturday if ANYONE would like to help, what really needs done to the corridor in red is raking / removal of flora debris that has recently been mowed; can't shape the dirt until we get that part out of the way... ANY help with this would be super duper appreciated!

The trail corridor kinda looks like this to start with...

Then tools like these...
ImageImage
ImageImage

Get the corridor looking maybe about like this...

So that we get get it looking like this...

Not like this...

So please, if you get some spare time between now and Saturday, stop on out to Squaw with your rake / mcleod in hand, and clear that corridor (the one in red)...

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Stumpyns » Wed May 16, 2012 7:16 pm

I plan on showing up at 11 for the party
Stumpyns

Postby Ken » Thu May 17, 2012 10:31 am

Ha, the more the merrier! Would be especially happy to have ya for eats & drinks if magically a bunch of raking / flora removal occurred prior to Saturday :wink:

Ken
Site Admin

Postby steveo » Thu May 17, 2012 10:34 am

For us folks that might not be that familiar with Squaw Creek. Can someone give some directions?? It would greatly be appreciated!!
steveo

Postby Ken » Thu May 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Yes! Thanks for asking. Check this out and lemme know if it makes sense...

We've come a long way in only a year... viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1557
Let's rock it out Saturday!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby iLuvTechnical » Thu May 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Bringing back an old quote from Farmboy:
Farmboy wrote:Okay folks. I test rode the new trail last night and my stoke meter is high. This is gonna be a fun trail.

Well, yesterday me and Trailmizer road Thomas (he rode it on a single speed and rocked it 8) ) and then rode over to Squaw Creek. With reference to the above quote; (I think I can speak for Trailmizer when I say:) +2!!
We rode the "old" mature trails (Blue and Green) and the recently put-in trail (Purple) that is not yet open or connected.

The "old" down and back trials have matured nicely and are good to go.
With that said; we need to make a great effort to get the entire loop connected so that we can ride/walk/jog/skip or whatever this trail system b/c without traffic, Mother Nature will reclaim it :cry:
I'm not kidding. The "new" section that we put-in a month or so ago is barely visible. Yes, the effort we put into laying the tread is still there, but it won't be long before it gets bumpy and we have to do it again. The point is, it needs to be USED! The only way that will happen is to connect it on both ends so you don't have to "bushwhack" just to get to it until the loop is complete for the purpose of helping fight mother nature by riding only what is done.

Let's get the section in Red connected to the Purple section, so that we can connect it to the mature Blue and Green sections...Thus, completing the loop so that Mother Nature is kept at bay :clap:
iLuvTechnical

Postby Farmboy » Thu May 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Well said ILT. While the trail that is done is some good stuff, the next part, in my opinion, is going to be the most fun.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby jnecessary » Fri May 18, 2012 10:26 am

Couple dudes coming from Iowa city, 9-12ish, you had me at free beer.
jnecessary

Postby Ken » Fri May 18, 2012 10:39 am

Aw yeah. End result...

:geek:
Ken
Site Admin

Postby DL1030 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:09 am

cant do that test with the all-powerful rogue hoe....lol. Still kind of want one for meadow trail work tho...humm.
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby Ken » Fri May 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Ken
Site Admin

Postby iLuvTechnical » Fri May 18, 2012 4:09 pm

If you are a veteran trail builder or no stranger to working on a remote location; skip to the bottom.
If you would like some advice or ideas of what can be good things to keep in mind; read on...

*the temps and humidity are going to be up there tomorrow.

*areas we will be working in have been cleared enough to allow you to wear short sleeves if you like.

*however, long sleeves are always a good idea. Here's what works for me: relaxed fit base layer undershirt made of non-cotton or a blend, a button-up cotton/polyester blend (old dress shirts from Goodwill are perfect! You can even have a little fun with loud or retro patterns). Yes, cotton breaths better, but polyester or blends DRY quicker and don't hold the sweat as much. I sweat a ton and cotton shirts get HEAVY and saggy when I am working hard.

*work gloves are essential. I even wrap a large Band-Aid or a strip of old cut cloth around the base of my thumbs and then loosely wrap a strip of duct tape over it to fit inside my gloves. This helps prevent blistering in that area when doing a lot of Mcleod or Rough Hoe work.

*WATER! WATER! Did I say WATER?! I FILL my CamelBak w/ water. If I don't use all of it; at least I have it if I needed it. I don't necessarily have it on my back the whole time (b/c it makes my back hot when working), but I keep it w/in a stone's throw and move it along with me after I get so many feet ahead of it. If you don't have a "CamelBak" or some bladder type of pack, that's okay; use whatever you have. Big coolers or even a gallon of water work. I even fill my CamelBak bladder w/ ICE b4 adding water on super warm days. Cold water can help keep you cooler, but warm water is better than no water.

*long pants.

*hiking boots or work boots. Sneakers work fine, but something around the ankle coupled w/ pants helps keep debris out of your footwear.

*ball cap, bandanas, straw hats, cowboy hats or even sombreros help protect against ticks and may help keep the sweat out of your eyes.

*Snack. I carry a pack or toaster pastries (most of u say, Pop Tarts) and/or granola bars in my pack in case I feel my tank is getting a little low.

*Sunscreen. This is a good idea for those that may burn easily. You would be surprise how much sun hits your neck in the woods.

*bug spray is not a bad idea sometimes. Word on the streets is that there may be some in the trailer when we get there, but I can't confirm that for sure.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST...
*a smile and a good attitude. It doesn't matter if you only get 10 feet or 1,000 feet of trail put-in; have fun doing it :D Talk to people within earshot while you are working. Conversation takes your mind off "working". Listen to some music if you like!

*Oh, maybe one more necessity: Earplugs; just in case you get someone playing their music to loud or someone trying to talk to you (like Farmboy or Ken).

I hope this helped some of you.
To the vets; you think you know EVERYTHING don't ya :naughty:
iLuvTechnical

Postby Ken » Sun May 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Had a nice group out there Saturday... in fact, just counted the signatures on the log sheet, 15 adults and 4 kids. Will be loggin those hours here... http://ping.fm/GrMxx as communicating our commitment with real numbers goes a long ways with the people granting us access to park(s).

Anywho, raking is not the most fun thing in the world to do, however this group was able to get it done and done well... the trails may not be über buff, but they are rideable. Thanks everyone for showing up, helping organize, running shuttles, providing food / drink, etc.

The word on the streets, err trails, is that the entrances are in and the trail is open, so get out there and ride! Somebody needs to log their hours! http://ping.fm/GrMxx :D

Don't know the details / requirements... like does a shelter need reserved? Should we just grab couple of picnic tables? What happens if a big group of us crosses paths with horses? Stuff like that. Regardless, I think it is high time we had ourselves a LAMBA nite @ Squaw... how about Tuesday?

Either way, gratuitous or not, local or afar; get yerself some singletrack, eh?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby iLuvTechnical » Mon May 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Ken wrote:...this group was able to get it done and done well...

Done and done well? I second that :clap:

People that work hard, like to relax in the shade after a job done REALLY WELL. OMG, and to have a shuttle waiting with cold drinks down at the trail-head and then more refreshments ready and food grilled to perfection the absolute second we arrived back at home base was unbelievable! It was like...man, I'm beat, hungry and could really use a refreshing drink! What? The food is already cooked? Some amazing person donated a variety of drinks already on ice? Some amazing people grilled? You mean I don't have to wait b4 I stuff my face? Shut the FRONT door!

I don't think a few people listened to my advise listed in an above thread about wrapping their thumbs with cloth and tape to prevent blisters because a couple victims showed me the proof that gloves alone don't always help :lol:

Thank you to everyone that helped Sat.! We couldn't be where we are today.
Where are we today you ask?
Well, as of last night, what didn't get done Sat. got done.
The section colored blue is connected to the section colored purple. The long section colored in red is connected to the section colored in green.
In other words...The two ends are connected and the LOOP IS COMPLETE!
I had the honor and privilege of riding the entire loop w/out having to hike-a-bike for the first time. Let me tell you, it was frick'n fun!

Everything is rideable! As Mr. Ken mentioned, it is not "ubber buff", but it is in better shape than some other bran new trails that I have ridden. The ground is solid and the traction is great! Everything is mowed and all debris cleared. The only soft (really sandy) spot is in an area we put in awhile back by the south powerline crossing. I think that will take care of itself with lots of rain and maturing. Speaking of the powerline; that is really the only place that we did not manicure yet b/c the utility company is not done in that area yet and would destroy any bench cutting that would need done.

I think if we ride here in large numbers (or small numbers over and over) a few times, we won't have to do much actual "tread-laying". The conditions and soil were apparently ready for the raking that got done b/c the dirt is already showing. It wouldn't take much for an actual trail tread to appear. I understand there is an opportunity for a group ride Tues. 5/22 if you feel like trying out the new trails!...http://forum.mtbiowa.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1896

Thanks everyone that helped make a difference in our community!
iLuvTechnical

Return to Squaw Creek