Saturday May 7 10AM Workday and Ride

1 mile of singletrack, 3 more in the works...

Saturday May 7 10AM Workday and Ride

Postby NoyzSource » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:26 am

A workday for Squaw is scheduled for Sunday Saturday, May 7 8 at 10AM.

Nothing too fancy just some maintenance on the trail that should only take about an hour. Right after this is the opportunity to ride the trail. Once you get your ride on Noel wants to go hit up Thomas Park to get some more riding done.

3 birds, 1 stone.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Re: Sunday May 8 10AM Workday and Ride

Postby urbanbigfoot » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Someone has to say it, so it might as well be me -- you do realize that's Mother's Day, right? I'm guessing there's no friggin way I'm going to be able to leave my wife home alone w/ the kids. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'll have to wait on her hand and foot, as that's what I expect come Father's Day.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby NoyzSource » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:49 pm

I did not realize that and Noel picked the day not me.

Damn Noel, how did you not realize this?

:)
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:42 pm

That answer is obvious. I'm an idiot. Let's move it to the 7th. Same time.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby greenfast » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:18 pm

7th won't work either as HBA is having their crit over there and the loop road starting at the lodge will be closed for a good portion of the day.
greenfast

Postby Farmboy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:31 pm

We can park at the ranger's shed. That's my plan.
Farmboy

Postby greenfast » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Ok that will work then, just wanted to let you guys know that you couldn't get in from the other way, I am working next weekend so I can't attend either the workday or the race :( I will get out there one of these weeks and lend a hand on some trail work and get some more local Marion trails.
greenfast

Postby urbanbigfoot » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:18 am

I think I can swing May 7th. I have one other thing on my calendar, but I think I can get out of that. I'd much rather work on the trails and do a little riding.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Re: Saturday May 7 10AM Workday and Ride

Postby Ken » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:25 am

The brand new trails will most definitely need some serious love as the horsies have found their way onto them...

I will be installing temporary signs out there today! Don't know that I'll have time to take down the tape / flags, but that should be done as well...

*edit: two signs installed that say bikers / hikers ONLY and horses PROHIBITED, 99.9% of trail tape / flags are down.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Mon May 02, 2011 12:44 pm

I went out there yesterday and worked for a couple hours. I was devastated when I saw the damage with my own eyes. So much work has gone into this to get us here.

The Good News: The county seems to be behind us. They've allowed us to put temporary signs up and are allowing for permanent ones.

The Bad News: It's going to take some work to rehab. May have to reroute a couple spots too.

Just like many others, I was really mad at first. But now my energy is moving forward. Please resist the temptation to act out in retribution. That will be counterproductive even though it might feel good at the time.

Having said that:

We're going to need all the help we can get here on Saturday. If you have time to spare, please join us. Bring a rake, a shovel, a McLeod, a tiller, whatever you can.
Farmboy

Postby Rev. Jimmy » Mon May 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Carne di Cavallo

To be fair, it's not the horses fault I guess, just the idiots riding them.
Rev. Jimmy

Postby NoyzSource » Mon May 02, 2011 4:50 pm

I don't think the horse riders were being malicious as much as they were curious. I know if I saw a new trail while riding a MTB, that didn't say that MTBs weren't allowed, I would ride it to check it out (Coralville?). Curiousity and exploration were the culprits. Just like my kids violate the unwritten rules of the paved trails until I explain them.

Granted we need to be vigilant of horse riders in this area. Squaw Creek (horse and MTB) riders need to learn the rules of the shared trails and how to get along. Many of us have never ridden around horses before and many horse riders haven't ridden around MTBs either. It works though. There are lots of shared use trails in this country.

In my opinion the rider of the horse is in a more precarious position. Spooking the horse could throw the rider and cause serious injury to both horse and rider and MTB rider. Stop, yield to the horses when on the shared trail. Do not endanger your or the horse rider's life by being inconsiderate. I'm sure our trails will be short lived if we cause problems with the horses. No matter who is at fault, we are the new guy and those problems didn't happen until we got there.

Temporary signs have been posted. Noel is coordinating the permanent signs. Lessons have been learned. Let's get on with some riding. :music-rockout:
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Tue May 03, 2011 10:44 am

Word.
Farmboy

Postby Garasaki » Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 am

Make sure to update the front page news listing regarding the revised "non mothers day" date.
Garasaki

Postby defygiants » Fri May 06, 2011 11:33 am

yikes! that stinks.

really wish i could help but i am already scheduled to volunteer at the crit there for the morning races and then will be racing at 11:30.
defygiants

Postby Ken » Fri May 06, 2011 11:59 am

Description of the work we hope to accomplish Saturday... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_tH ... y=CKnn0ZoH
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Fri May 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Again, make sure those that come to help out go to the mainenance shed area which is just past the ranger's residence. I'll put up a couple of signs.

I'm grabbing all of the McLeods I can gather up on my way home tonight. Not sure where the LAMBA tiller is but that may come in handy in a few spots.
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Sat May 07, 2011 7:35 am

I have all the mcleods from the tool trailer but I was not able to fit the tiller in my van. If anyone out there can help me with this I would appreciate it. my cell number is 319-BIG-WEEN. Call or text if you can help me.
Farmboy

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sat May 07, 2011 9:23 am

Farmboy wrote:I have all the mcleods from the tool trailer but I was not able to fit the tiller in my van. If anyone out there can help me with this I would appreciate it. my cell number is 319-BIG-WEEN. Call or text if you can help me.

OMG! Farmboy's cell number is on the WEB :o
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby DL1030 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:07 pm

horsie tracks

mtb tracks 8)
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Next

Return to Squaw Creek