Squaw Creek...Come and get it

1 mile of singletrack, 3 more in the works...

Squaw Creek...Come and get it

Postby Farmboy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:57 pm

That there is my tire mark in virgin dirt.

Spent a few hours at Squaw Creek today with my trusty Mcleod and I busted on through on the intermediate trail. I ended up walking it a few more times before raking in the last section along with viewing a printed copy of the GPS plan submitted to and by the county. I think what I ended up with is what I would call a sustainable compromise. Anyways, the beginner trail is plain ol' done. I didn't touch it from last weeks workday but I did ride it and it is a nice piece of singletrack. The intermediate trail is now open all the way through to the horse trail but could use some more Mcleod work just to clear it off a bit more. Still though, it's completely ridable. I rode it four times and it's going to be a fun trail. It has some tight spots that need some tweaking that will happen to make it flow just a little better.

Something to keep in mind: This is the first trail in this area in a park that will see a mixed user group. Please keep that in mind as these trails that are two + years in the making exist as a trial basis. We are on the verge of something great here and it is vital that we fly under the radar. There are plenty of mountain bikers out there that are great and gracious people that anyone would be delighted to come across at any given moment. There are also a few of us (present company specifically) that have a bit of a chip their (my) shoulder and have to remember to check their (my) attitude at the door knowing that our very existence in this park is both an asset to the county yet a point of contention with other user groups (hikers, bird watchers,equestrians.....). So please, on any given opportunity or confrontation. Take the high road.

Anyways, get out there and ride it folks. I'm thinking some group rides comging up that start and end at Bill's in Marion and incorporate both Squaw and Thomas are certainly in order.

About to break it in.

A one-person celebration. Big hoops, one gear, no squish, loppers, and a can of Fat Tire Ale.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Re: Squaw Creek...Come and get it

Postby greenfast » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:01 am

I would be down for a Thomas/Squaw Creek ride today if anyone else is interested. I am technically on-call for work but as long as I am within 20 minutes from home I should be good. Haven't been on the MTB at all this year, and am racing next weekend.
greenfast

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:01 pm

greenfast wrote:I would be down for a Thomas/Squaw Creek ride today if anyone else is interested. I am technically on-call for work but as long as I am within 20 minutes from home I should be good. Haven't been on the MTB at all this year, and am racing next weekend.

I might be down w/ something like around 5:30. Let me know. Start at Thomas then head to Squaw?
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby crrimson » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:15 am

Glad to hear this is cut through. Let me know when you're planning on doing the Thomas and Squaw Creek ride, sounds fun
crrimson

Postby defygiants » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:43 am

went over to squaw creek this morning to ride the new trails for the first time....love them! coolest idea ever since they are right across the street from me. i also tested out my new ContourGPS camera on the intermediate trail. filmed it in 720p to preserve battery even though it does 1080p. video is nothing special but kinda cool. the bike i was using doesnt have any suspension so it was a little rough getting over some of the obstacles. really fun though. thanks for all the work this place puts into them.

http://contour.com/stories/test-ride-sq ... k-mtb-4711
defygiants

Postby Farmboy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:55 pm

Dude thanks for the vid and the compliments. It's been a process for sure, but so far I think things are going well initially. There are some spots that need tweaked and actually your video points them out quite well in my opinion. I'll be out there a lot. Blue Surly Karate Monkey. Rigid SS. Ugly skinny hairy dude with a big nose. Say hi if you see me.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby defygiants » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:37 pm

will do. do you have any other planned work days coming up? would have came to the last one but i raced at kent park that morning.
defygiants

Return to Squaw Creek