Sherman Park

2 miles of advanced / intermediate singletrack right in the heart of town!

Sherman Park

Postby D Roberts » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:51 pm

Sherman Park is a 320 acre park near Calamus, iowa. Just off of hwy 30. Slightly less than an hour from CR. I went out walking there looking for rocks to climb on, but instead came back with an intense vision of what a fantastic mountain bike epic area it could be. Reminds me of a chequamegon rolling landscape without the rocks and eerily similar to the beautiful trail at Murphy Hanrehan park in the Twin Cities SW metro. I am curious if anyone else has thought about this place or checked into it. Clinton County may not even allow it I don't know yet. Could be a nice collaboritive effort with the QC folks. Any input would be appreciated.
Welp keep a ridin'
Dan
D Roberts

Re: Sherman Park

Postby konabiker » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:21 pm

have you been to scott county park? that's in that area and the quad cities just built some nice new trails there (i believe the old illegal trails are closed)

just based on topo map, palisades-kepler state park looks promising
konabiker

Postby D Roberts » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:01 am

I've only walked ScCoPa due to back injury late last fall while moving from mn. Palisades kepler in my opinion the terrain is to sharp. Also it is a state park. Can you imagine the bearucracy that would involve. Also P-K I feel is one of those places that could just be left to the hikers as a bargaining piece. Sherman Park is a much more interesting rolling terrain and it's a county park. I gave an initial proposal to Walt at Clinton County Cons. He seemed very receptive and liked the idea. Clinton County is now discussing it. I was out two days ago sighting lines for a trail and I feel it could be a tremendous system and long enough that it would be worth the drive from CR, IC, or the Qc.
Ride on,
Dan
D Roberts

Postby NoyzSource » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:40 am

i don't think the state would be any worse than what we have to put up with from the county and city. Speaking of that, i need to contact my local county supervisors to prod them on the Squaw Creek trail.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby crrimson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:50 pm

When I first got my mountain bike I rode the hiking trails at palisades hahah.. I used to think I could just ride wherever the hell I wanted.. It could be epic as hell if there was some way to get permission from the park.

Pretty out there & very hilly
crrimson

Postby futon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:10 pm

I also rode at palisades years ago. I remember going down the first trail and my buddy got a large stick in his front wheel and he did a perfect Pete Rose slide after going over the bars.
Later I got a stick in my rear derailleur and bent it pretty good.
I knew about Beverly for two years without being able to find it, I was always looking by the Beverly train depot and trespassing on railroad property.
sunny and 61 right now. go ride.
futon

Postby Ken » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:27 pm

I would suggest inviting the land manager to the IMBA Trail Care Crew visit to Coralville June 3-6, when they're on board moving forward is that much easier.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Thomas Park