Thomas Park Trail

2 miles of advanced / intermediate singletrack right in the heart of town!

Thomas Park Trail

Postby jared1970 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:24 am

Does anybody know what the status of the trail at Thomas Park is? The park has been closed due to the flood, did the trail make it through okay?
jared1970

Re: Thomas Park Trail

Postby futon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:45 am

trail should be fine as it was up on a hill away from the water. I know the disc golf course is closed until at least Oct 15.
futon

Postby jared1970 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:59 am

Can the trail be ridden on? Is there any way to access it right now, or is everything closed?
jared1970

Postby futon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:38 pm

http://cityofmarion.org/taxonomy/term/5

"Thomas Park / Boyson Trail Closed
Submitted by Webmaster on Tue, 09/01/2009 - 7:46am. Parks and Recreation

Thomas Park and Boyson Trail will be closed until Thursday October 15, 20009 for repairs as a result of the recent flooding.

Thank you for your understanding and Cooperation."
futon

Postby jared1970 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:22 pm

:(
jared1970

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:42 pm

I just spoke w/ Marion and he said it is okay to ride the Mtbk trail on the weekends and after hours :dance: He asked that we not be in there during working hours as not to be in the way, just in case.

Please note they he did ask they we respect the areas they have seeded and are working on. I told him that there shouldn't be any reason for anyone to be riding in seeded/grassy areas anyway. Please be respectful and preserve our good relationship w/ the parks dept :clap:

I recommend parking by the Marion football field or if you know the area well enough you may be able to find a way in around the Armor Plaza back side.
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby jared1970 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks! That's great news! I've been wanting to check out the trail since it was first made, but didn't have the time to make it out there, then the flood came and now I actually have the time but the park is closed. I'm going to check it out today on a quick ride over to a friend's house.
jared1970

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:25 pm

I'm heading there in a few myself :D
iLuvTechnical

Postby jared1970 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:31 pm

I made it out there this afternoon. Great work guys! It's small, but it's got potential. We need a few more people to ride it and get it packed down, there were still some soft loose spots. Overall, though, it seems like it is well designed and will be a fun place to ride.
jared1970

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:49 am

Sorry I missed u. I was probably there, but I was in the new section in the ravine putting in some bench cutting and sweet half-pipe style trail :happy-wavemulticolor:
iLuvTechnical

Postby Angy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Did they take the farm gate off the bridge then to get into Thomas?? We checked the bridge by the football field and it was blocked off. Or can it be moved to get into the trails??
HBA racing team pics seen here...
http://www.angysnoop.com/ (8/1/09-current)
http://picasaweb.google.com/KASKSnoop (2/18/08-7/19/09)
Angy

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Angy wrote:Did they take the farm gate off the bridge then to get into Thomas?? We checked the bridge by the football field and it was blocked off. Or can it be moved to get into the trails??

The gate is there to keep out the general public and people during the working hours for their safety. All you have to do is lean it forward w/ one hand and slide your bike in w/ the other. Please remember to put it back each time so as not to make people think the park is officially open.
iLuvTechnical

Postby jared1970 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:31 am

??? Guess I missed that. I rode onto the trail by the former Volkswagen dealership and rode on up to the MTB trail.
jared1970

Postby greenfast » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:53 pm

FYI we were just told we were not allowed in Thomas Park by Marion's finest. He said the park was closed and to his knowledge MTBer don't have permission to be in the park.
greenfast

Postby iLuvTechnical » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:08 pm

greenfast wrote:FYI we were just told we were not allowed in Thomas Park by Marion's finest. He said the park was closed and to his knowledge MTBer don't have permission to be in the park.

BS. I wouldn't worry about Marion's Finest. Just let them know the parks dept. said it was okay as long as it was after 4 and on wkends.
iLuvTechnical

Postby greenfast » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:25 pm

That is what I tried to explain to him, and he stated that until they receive something in writing at the police station we will not be allowed back in. Given we were just trying to scope out the damages and try and do some cyclocross practice, but he also told a guy that was running on the trail that he too had to leave. So we have found another place for cross practice, not nearly as fun as Thomas, but it will work, just wanted to pass along the information to you guys.
greenfast

Postby Angy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:47 am

Yeah that wasn't fun getting kicked out! I wonder if the parks department would send a letter of approval over so the cops leave us alone out there. Could you talk to the parks person again and see if they'll do that? I'd like to go back a try the trails out again, but not if it's just to get kicked out. Not fun unloading 4 bikes and gear, just to load them back up again! Oh and we didn't drive in the park (well one member did as the cop was there, oops!), so it was only the bikes in the park.
Angy

Postby iLuvTechnical » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:56 am

Angy wrote:Yeah that wasn't fun getting kicked out! I wonder if the parks department would send a letter of approval over so the cops leave us alone out there. Could you talk to the parks person again and see if they'll do that? I'd like to go back a try the trails out again, but not if it's just to get kicked out. Not fun unloading 4 bikes and gear, just to load them back up again! Oh and we didn't drive in the park (well one member did as the cop was there, oops!), so it was only the bikes in the park.

Angy,
Bare w/ me while I preach for a second...
I guess I just assumed that everyone understood to "not make it obvious" that we are in there while all the signs say closed. I am by no means saying that YOU made it obvious, but maybe the person that pulled into the park in his/her car did or someone on a different day did. When people flaunt that they have permission to do something that others don't, it sometimes leaves a sour taste or draws the attention of the "why are they...if we can't" people. For those reasons, I always try to take the most direct and non-look-at-me route to the trails (at least until the park is open again). I don't ride in the open (I am not sure if the cyclocross riders stay in the woods or venture out in the open) if I can help it. Long story short...as unfortunate as it is, sometimes we are forced to stay low-key b/c of the "it's not fair" complainers out there.
I did enjoy seeing you and the kids riding. I am sorry your experience was cut short b/c it looked like you were enjoying the beautiful evening.

Okay, Officially...
"to make it easy for the Police not to have to figure out who ARE and AREN'T mtbkers, the Police asked that the Parks Dept. be on the same page and close the park to all."

UNOFFICIALLY...
this was never said and you can't prove it, but...
"if you are not real obvious and a little discrete, you may only just get a slap on the hand" if you do get caught.
Personally, I have not had an issue and I have seen numerous joggers and disc golfers out there not have issues either.
iLuvTechnical

Postby Farmboy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:28 am

I dunno folks, a closed park is a closed trail. You do what you want, but it sounds to me like you're toeing the line.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Angy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:15 pm

The cops had already told a couple of us that we had to leave, they were waiting for me and the younger son to get out of the woods. When we were standing ready to leave is when the other person pulled into the park with their car. We stood there shaking our heads in disbelief! This is new rider, so take that as you will.

As far as the joggers and disc golfers, maybe they just got lucky before and didn't see cops, cause like Keith said, he told the jogger to leave as well. With it now officially truly being closed to us all we will stay out until it is officially open. Not worth a possible ticket!
Angy

Next

Return to Thomas Park