Scenic Ridge

2 miles of advanced / intermediate singletrack right in the heart of town!

Scenic Ridge

Postby iLuvTechnical » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:32 pm

With the help and backing of a couple folks (you know who you are :wink: ), we got at least 10 BIG logs cut out of the way on the Scenic Ridge trail.
Still about 10 or so more to go thru though. It is slow going w/ me having a busy schedule right now, so please bare w/ me. Man is going to be beautiful :D
If you are thinking...
How does it connect to the "front" half of the system?
Answer:
It doesn't yet and may not for awhile. 1st off, it will require a lot of work b4 it is a rideable "trail." 2nd, there is some details to be worked out w/ a private land owner to connect the front and back systems. If we have to bypass the Private land it will still work, but it just won't be as sweet.

PS.
Is there anyone else besides me that is interested in donating their time to help get some trails built at Thomas? I don't mind doing all the work myself; in fact, it is a little therapeutic, but it will take a long time w/ one person. I was hoping to get a team of East Siders to pool from.
Before you answer:
be aware that at this point the development of new trails at Thomas Park is NOT backed by LAMBA. I don't have any tools that you can use to help except what I personally have or barrow from friends. Having your own tools will be a plus.
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Tools

Postby dfleck » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:04 pm

If there is this much worries of LAMBA liability, then I should re-think ever having another “Warehouse Ride”.
We just filled out simple waivers for that. :?
We have one guy willing to create some new trail & cannot borrow some tools. :shock:
dfleck

Postby rockhopper07 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:15 pm

im willing to help out i live like 1 min from the trail. pm me sometime when u r heading out 2 work on them
real men wear spandex
rockhopper07

Postby NoyzSource » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:32 pm

There is NOT a LAMBA policy regarding the borrowization of tools at this point. Only board members have keys to the tools so you'll need to ask somebody that has keys.

Common sense does apply. Be respectful of the tools. Don't abuse them. Return them in good shape. If they break, notify the board member that let you borrow them. If we determine that they were broke through neglect, don't be surprised if we ask you to pay for the repair.

The tools are available for the people working on the trails in this area. We do request that the trails be "approved" by the land managers responsible for where the trail is located. LAMBA does not want to be associated with rogue trails.

We have used them at Sugarbottom and Beverly. We offered to assist in rebuilding the other local trails with the city and county. We are working on the plans for a small trail in Squaw Creek park which will also use these tools.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby iLuvTechnical » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:54 am

NoyzSource wrote:There is NOT a LAMBA policy regarding the borrowization of tools at this point. Only board members have keys to the tools so you'll need to ask somebody that has keys.

Common sense does apply. Be respectful of the tools. Don't abuse them. Return them in good shape. If they break, notify the board member that let you borrow them. If we determine that they were broke through neglect, don't be surprised if we ask you to pay for the repair.

The tools are available for the people working on the trails in this area. We do request that the trails be "approved" by the land managers responsible for where the trail is located. LAMBA does not want to be associated with rogue trails.

We have used them at Sugarbottom and Beverly. We offered to assist in rebuilding the other local trails with the city and county. We are working on the plans for a small trail in Squaw Creek park which will also use these tools.

Thank you NoyzSource for the clarification for those folks that may have taken my post in a way I was not intending.

With that said, my wish is not to turn this thread into a "pick on LAMBA" topic. I was just giving people a heads up that having TOOLS is a prerequisite to volunteering to help at Thomas.
So, if you have something to say about volunteering or want to discuss Thomas; please continue posting :D
Last edited by iLuvTechnical on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
iLuvTechnical

Tools

Postby dfleck » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:48 am

As Mr Barker would say...."It's all Good" :D
dfleck

Postby Charleswv » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:22 am

I'd love to help out. Got me a chain saw, some shovels, etc. Please, let me know when you're planning on going out, and I'd be happy to join in. Send me a PM, or post in this thread, I'll watch it.

I won't be around this weekend, too much family stuff, but other than that, I'm good.

Thanks!
- Chucky V
aka c wagon

Bike - Gary Fisher X-Caliber '09
Crank Bros Eggbeater SL pedals
Salsa Pro-Moto Carbon Flat bar
Bontrager Race XXX Lite stem
Charleswv

Postby konabiker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:25 am

that's awesome!
looks like the recruitment for a trail crew at thomas has begun
chris has done a great job starting the trails
more trails the better
you guys can borrow icorr tools as well
konabiker

Postby iLuvTechnical » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanx for the support people.:!:

Charleswv,
Diddo on the busy this wkend.
No kids next wk however. I will more than likely head out there at some point after work either Mon., Tues or Fri or all.
Although I am more of a "if-I-have-time-and-the-mood-strikes-me" kinda guy, I will try and post up any plans for anyone interested in doing some McClouding (sp?).
iLuvTechnical

Postby crrimson » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:37 pm

I've a shovel and a rake, no trail specific tools though, but I'm going to watch this thread & help out if I can.
crrimson

when to work?

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:25 am

Let me know when you're working (call or email), what tools are needed and I can bring them over to help. More lead time is better. I'd love to help and get a tour of the project.

I know people love forums, and they can offer the best and worst of the internet. For communication, however, I find them impersonal and random - rather like a whole bunch of people shouting out comments in a large totally dark room. Emoticons just aren't the same as hearing how a person is saying something.

More trails = more riding = more fun = more people on bikes. Nice work Chris for getting Marion on board. You've worked on this a long time.
Rob

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:24 pm

I am hoping to be out there at 4pm Mon. the 20th.

I am going to park at the dead end of Amar Dr SE. Then walk East through the parking lot of the Apartments to the barely visible path at the edge of the ridge and turn left. I'll be in there somewhere.

I will have my Mcloud, weed whippet and a pair of loppers, that is all.
iLuvTechnical

Re: Scenic Ridge

Postby andystern » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:24 am

Hey, I live in those apartments on the west side of Armar down near the dead-end. Let me know when you're planning to work one the ridge trail next; I'd love to help!

I've ridden the Thomas loop several times. Just rode the newer portion last night. Love the trail! Thanks for the hard work!
andystern

Re: Scenic Ridge

Postby konabiker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:36 am

looks like there is a growing number of appreciative riders at thomas
thanks for the hard work and getting this started chris!
it's really cool to watch this grow!
konabiker

Return to Thomas Park