1st Loop @ Thomas is OPEN!

2 miles of advanced / intermediate singletrack right in the heart of town!

Re: 1st Loop @ Thomas is OPEN!

Postby iLuvTechnical » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:37 pm

First off...
Nice picture andystern. It is a little deceiving however. It looks passable in the pic, but in real life I only made it by 4 of 7 times. One time I almost endode and the other two where b/c I didn't get my back tire thru.

Second...
the fact that I just said I made it by indicates that I did NOT get it moved. It was too heavy even for my big-ole-whale-butt. I will have to get out there w/ a chain saw next wk and cut it unless some else feels like doing it :pray:

Actually, it might be better if I could get a couple BIG guys to rap a rope around the base w/ me and pull it to the side. Reason being...the top is wedged, so even if I cut it, it will still be tricky.
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby iLuvTechnical » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:39 pm

andystern wrote:I rode the Thomas loops 4 times last night! There were some tree limbs down from the wind the night before; got 'em all off except for the big one pictured. I might have been able to move it aside, but I was alone and didn't want to get stuck under it if something went wrong. May need some attention from a chain saw...

Got this bad boy out of the way :o Very tricky. I got lucky as ___. I cut it about 4 feet up and swung it to the right. It stayed wedged at the top but dropped the 4ft as it landed off the trail. It is now standing nearly straight up and down still wedged, but completely out of the way now. Pretty cool 8)

Also got the last remaining log on the first loop that I didn't get originally b/c I ran out of gas cut out of the way also. Unfortunately, I had chain saw issues again and didn't get to finish scoring the top of the log skinny.

I also got the tree that was snapped over b/c the future giant log skinny tree pulled it over on its way down cut out of the way so that you won't get a headache going by the future log skinny anymore.

Did some work on the bench-cuts as well. I ran out of time, so I didn't get to finish fine tuning a couple spots I feel need modified.

Long and short of it...
NO obstructions in the way anymore and bench cuts are better than they were originally.
iLuvTechnical

Postby crrimson » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:07 pm

I was going to go ride it tonight and then it rained right as I was getting off work late. Nice that you got those trees out of the way, I imagine Beverly also has some new trees down with the strong wind & rain this weekend. I need some exercise maybe I'll bring my axe out there & do some manual labor until my arms fall off.

Anyway Chris I'm still up for helping out again, just have to find the right weekend & I'd be up for doing a day of trail work
crrimson

Postby iLuvTechnical » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Got the low lying log-skinny done, bench-cut improvements improved, and cut a path through logs that will be in the way for the ravine section.
iLuvTechnical

Postby iLuvTechnical » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:22 pm

Angy wrote:...We'll head out there again now that we know for sure where the trailhead is.

Have you gotten a chance to get out there again since your post?
iLuvTechnical

Postby Farmboy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:18 pm

Being a proud resident of Marion and a verbal advocate of Thomas trails (verbal meaning I've supported them verbally to the city but haven't so much as lifted a finger to help build them, which I'm ashamed of), it's ridiculous that this afternoon was the first time I've been out to the trails since the first loop rough in. Gotta say, though short, ILT has put a lot of fun into a small area. If your'e in the area, check them out. Might as well leave your big gear at home. This trail is ILT's kind of trail. Tight and technical. Good stuff.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby iLuvTechnical » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:04 am

The Ravine section is 3/4 done :D
iLuvTechnical

Postby crrimson » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:50 pm

I was going to check that out yesterday but I didn't get off work until it was dark, if I get off in time tomorrow I'll try and make it out there
crrimson

Postby iLuvTechnical » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:37 pm

crrimson wrote:I was going to check that out yesterday but I didn't get off work until it was dark, if I get off in time tomorrow I'll try and make it out there

What time are you thinking? I might be there myself finishing the Ravine section. If you don't see my car it doesn't mean I'm not there, b/c I might hike in from the Armar Plaza to carry some tools.
iLuvTechnical

Postby crrimson » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Went out to Thomas tonight, met George Christopher out there, and checked out the 3rd section he had just put in...

The 3rd section is great! Every time I rode it I couldn't help but laugh or yell as I went down the hills, they are that much fun, I could ride them over and over again. If you think of some of the fast down & up valleys on the 304 trail at Sugar Bottom, it's like that... except steeper, or maybe like 3 small cyclocross hill's all packed into one trail.

Nice work Chris. I'm impressed, and really recommend anyone should go out and check this trail out for yourself, although it isn't complete, it's nice to see promising trails in their infancy, there is hope! :)

ps next time you smash my knee with a log though you owe me a beer.
crrimson

Postby iLuvTechnical » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 pm

crrimson wrote:ps next time you smash my knee with a log though you owe me a beer.

LOL :text-imsorry:
iLuvTechnical

Postby iLuvTechnical » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:18 pm

crrimson wrote:...The 3rd section is great! Every time I rode it I couldn't help but laugh or yell as I went down the hills, they are that much fun, I could ride them over and over again. If you think of some of the fast down & up valleys on the 304 trail at Sugar Bottom, it's like that... except steeper, or maybe like 3 small cyclocross hill's all packed into one trail...

Sorry about the photo quality. Pictures were taken w/ me cell camera.

Big swooping berm :auto-layrubber:
Image Image Image
Just after the berm and valley drop.
A quick down/up roller coaster.
Entering the steep plank roller.
Top of the plank roller, just b4 exit.
iLuvTechnical

Previous

Return to Thomas Park