Land Swap? Impact on dirt?

2 miles of advanced / intermediate singletrack right in the heart of town!

Land Swap? Impact on dirt?

Postby jnecessary » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:28 am

There is a quickly building sense of "freak out" in the disc golf community that I'm also a part of and it revolves around a supposed land swap to correct an old mistake the city made when building the paved bike paths. Apparently they want to give some land out for development that would end parts of the disc golf course and the sledding hill. I still haven't ridden Thomas but figured I would toss this onto the board to see what's goin' on, but I'm sure you guys have a pulse on these things.

If you disc or sled or use the park and don't want the changes please take a minute to sign the petition.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save ... nd-thomas/
jnecessary

Re: Land Swap? Impact on dirt?

Postby DL1030 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:28 am

Didnt CR just have a big shin-dig AND parade about Going Green? and what helps to keep city parks staying green, 3-story apartment buildings...
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby NoyzSource » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 am

I sent an email to Tom and Kesha asking for details.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby jnecessary » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:14 am

jnecessary

Postby iLuvTechnical » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:16 am

Listen up EVERYONE!
PLEASE pass this along to everyone you know!
Post it on your FaceBook!
Tweet about it!
Send emails!

The story on KGAN channel 2: (ILT makes a brief appearance)
http://kgan.com/shared/newsroom/top_sto ... 1532.shtml

The petition:

Don't do it for mountain biking.
Don't do it for disc golfing.
Don't do it for sledding.
Don't do it for preserving a separation b/w the park and buildings.
Don't do it for the wildlife.
Don't do it for preserving what little nature there is within the city limits.

DO IT FOR ALL THE ABOVE!

Please take 2 seconds to sign the petition!
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby iLuvTechnical » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree b/c a lot of LAMBA members don't actually partake in the "forum" and didn't see this plea for help or maybe a lot of LAMBA/local people signed "Anonymous" on the Petition, but I could swear I saw more signatures from the people of FORC and PAMBA than I saw from LAMBA :think:

I'm sorry, but REALLY?!!!! Come'on!!

Please take (I'm not kidding...10 seconds) to sign the petition :mrgreen: You can even sign it Anonymous if you want.
If you want more info b4 signing, please PM me and I will get you the facts or research it on your own. BUT FOR PETE SAKE, please, oh please sign it (if you believe in the cause that is)!

If you decide it is a good cause, please pass it along to everyone else you know, so we the people can get to the goal of 500 to make the governing body stop and listen b4 destroying a beautiful park.
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby Rev. Jimmy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:29 am

I really don't want this to happen, but it doesn't have to be a totally bad thing - depending on how the city deals with it. They could make better holes and more trails.

After they've ruined my nice quiet 6th Avenue, I don't have much faith in our leaders though.
Rev. Jimmy

Postby Jaxon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:16 am

There was a Gazette story on this yesterday that quickly rotated off the front page.

http://thegazette.com/2012/06/13/confus ... land-swap/

"Holes three, four and five of the Legion Park Disc Golf Course now occupy the tract in question, but Dusek said parts of each hole actually lie on land CeMar already owns. Officials intend to develop that property regardless of whether they receive the additional space in the trade, he said."
Jaxon

Postby Farmboy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:42 am

Rev. Jimmy wrote:I really don't want this to happen, but it doesn't have to be a totally bad thing - depending on how the city deals with it. They could make better holes and more trails.

After they've ruined my nice quiet 6th Avenue, I don't have much faith in our leaders though.

What don't you like about the downtown plan? What's not to like? I'm excited about it. Did you vote for Bouska? Where's he at on all of this park business?
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby dlporter » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:57 pm

I saw that the Marion Park Board approved the land swap agreement. What impact will this have on the mtb trail in the park? All of the stories and info I have found on this only seem to talk about holes 3, 4, 5 of the disc golf course.
dlporter

Postby Rev. Jimmy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:41 pm

I don't like that they are diverting traffic from 7th avenue to 6th avenue, right in front of my house. I don't like that there will be increased traffic on 6th Avenue, right in front of my house - where my kids play. Some people say that won't happen, they're full of $hit - why would they spend tens of millions on a road we aren't going to use? Did I mention that the road is less then 10 feet from my front door? I don't like that they took 2 feet of my measly front yard to build a wider sidewalk (I won't have to shovel it now, one positive). I'm also not happy that they zoned my entire block Commercial and I'll never be able to sell my house as a house, completely different issue (thanks Vic). At least the neighborhood is getting a facelift so hopefully it will be worth more, some day. Anyone want to buy a parking lot in downtown Marion?

I'm sure it will all be great in the end - pretty trees and flowers, lots of brick, big wide sidewalks to ride my bike down. I just need to get the heck out of downtown Marion.
Rev. Jimmy

Postby Farmboy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Well then, I can certainly see why you are not happy about it.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Return to Thomas Park