Description & Map of Thomas

2 miles of advanced / intermediate singletrack right in the heart of town!

Description & Map of Thomas

Postby iLuvTechnical » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Thomas Park trails are mostly Intermediate to Advanced riding.
The reason I use those classifications is because:
*regional rating = based on how other trails in a region are classified
(eg. most of our Advanced trails in this region would be considered Beginner or Green elsewhere)
*log-overs (without go-arounds)
*a couple steep climbs or descents
*tight technical switchbacks
*physically challenging

Don't get me wrong, most everyone has the ability to ride here but may have to dismount for something they are uncomfortable attempting.

At this time there is 1 mile of trail from end to end. The trails are bi-directional and are a down-and-back system at this point. There are many tight turns along w/ acceleration sections, features, short climbs, a couple long flowy sections and a couple eye-popping and jubilation-inducing spots in this short system. After George's Ravine which is comprised of Crying Biker Hill, Whawhoo Run, & Mini-Cyclocross you will end at the access path. At that point you can turn left to ascend back up to the plateau to make a "loop" or you can turn around and ride it backward to get in another mile to make a total of 2 miles of awesome inner-city dirt riding! Note: please do not turn right to go down the grass, b/c you may interfere with part of the disc golf course. Then, REPEAT as many times as you can before exhaustion! I guarantee that if you ride it both ways twice (or more if you are an animal), you will get in a great workout.
Thomas may never become a "destination" but it is a great venue b/c of its abundant parking (great for b4 and after ride socializing), very popular playground, outstanding 18 hole disc golf course, proximity to local brew pub, fantastic scenery, beautiful creek flowing near by, restrooms w/ running water, and proximity to Squaw Creek trails for a two-trail ride opportunity.
If you rode Thomas down and back, rode to Squaw Creek Park (about .5 miles to Hanna Park via the crushed lime gravel path, then about 2 miles on pavement through a couple neighborhoods and across Hwy 100 on 22nd St to Squaw), ride Squaw Creek trails (currently about 1.5 miles of trail), make a loop back up to 22nd St. then back to your car at Thomas for a cold beverage...you would have completed a nice ride of about 10+ miles of challenging dirt combined w/ easy and smooth pavement.

**The reasons for how Thomas Park is and how it was designed is because of the geography (mostly on the slope of a hill), soil composition, and the limited space available for trails.

*edit 5/10/12...new map. Area in red is almost complete, but not open yet. Once some signage gets put in place, I will connect it to West Mound (trail shaded green).

Thomas Park MTB & Hiking Trail (closeup) labeled sections.jpg
Thomas Park MTB & Hiking Trail (closeup) labeled sections.jpg (149.04 KiB) Viewed 648 times
Last edited by iLuvTechnical on Thu May 10, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: New map w/ almost completed Boundary Trail
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Re: Description of Thomas

Postby iLuvTechnical » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:49 am

Here is a video of the whole system at Thomas Park (thus far) to the end and back, including features :dance:

iLuvTechnical

Re: Description & Map of Thomas

Postby iLuvTechnical » Thu May 10, 2012 5:40 pm

New map. Area in red is almost complete, but not open yet. Once some signage gets put in place, I will connect it to West Mound (trail shaded green).

Thomas Park MTB & Hiking Trail (closeup) labeled sections.jpg
Thomas Park MTB & Hiking Trail (closeup) labeled sections.jpg (149.04 KiB) Viewed 647 times
iLuvTechnical

Postby trailmizer » Mon May 14, 2012 7:35 am

Hey Dude! I need to ride Thomas park and Squaw park,let me know if u can meet me this week later to ride there.R you guys going to work on Squaw creek this weekend?

kevin seydel
trailmizer
trailmizer

Postby Farmboy » Mon May 14, 2012 10:19 am

I am booked up weekends through June at this point. But by all means, if anyone wants to step up and lead a work day or just go out there to do some work, I'll certainly facilitate however I can:
Attachments
Remaining Squaw Ext Work.JPG
Remaining Squaw Ext Work.JPG (164.89 KiB) Viewed 613 times
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby iLuvTechnical » Tue May 15, 2012 4:44 pm

trailmizer wrote:Hey Dude! I need to ride Thomas park and Squaw park,let me know if u can meet me this week later to ride there.R you guys going to work on Squaw creek this weekend?

kevin seydel
trailmizer

Trailmizer,
Check your PM's.

I'm always ready to ride at Thomas :dance: I love the challenge and the design!
iLuvTechnical

Return to Thomas Park